Thanks Thanks:  253
Likes Likes:  442
Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast

Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022/2023

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    According to Sam Landsberger, the 11 club trade was designed by our list manager. Given the crap hand he was dealt and the number of balls that were up in the air, he's done well.

Smith (a small) and McKee (a key forward) are young, fringe players from the Suns and Lions respectively.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...dline-day-deal
    WB Give
    Kirsty Lamb to Port Adelaide
    Katie Lynch to Gold Coast
    Gabby Newton to Fremantle
    Pick 22 to Adelaide
    Pick 61 to Fremantle
    WB Receive
    Lauren Ahrens from Gold Coast
    Jasmyn Smith from Gold Coast
    Analea McKee from Brisbane
    Pick 4 from Port Adelaide
    Pick 6 from Fremantle
    Pick 11 from Richmond
    Pick 51 from Fremantle

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Three players you don't want to lose. Sad times.

Hopefully we can rebuild quickly. The new clubs have become competitive quickly maybe we can do the same.
    Any idea of the draft quality any woofers? I need Raw Toast!

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Women?s Draft 2023: We look at the top names to watch ahead of this year?s national draft

All roads lead to the AFL Women?s national draft on December 18 for the next generation of female footballers. So who are the key names to look out for? We profile 13 of the best.

The final year of school is done for most of the game?s next generation and before Santa arrives, it?s time for the AFL Women?s national draft.

So who are the names to watch? We cast an eye over some of the best young prospects in the game as they hope to find a home at an AFLW club on December 18.

Will they be under the watchful eye of premiership coach Craig Starcevich, a new face at the Western Bulldogs or freshly-appointed West Coast coach and AFLW great Daisy Pearce?

Almost 600 players have nominated for the draft, but just 78 picks.

Check out just a handful of the game?s top talent below.

KRISTIE-LEE WESTON-TURNER

Position: Key forward

State league team: Western Jets

Club: Sunshine Heights

Nominated draft state: National

Considered one of the most athletically talented players in this year?s crop, Weston-Turner is expected to be selected very early in the piece. Her vertical leap and sprint testing at the draft combine were some of the best performances on the day and landed her in the category of ?elite?, and she is also dangerous in front of goal. Was hampered by a broken wrist this season but that won?t stop her being an early pick.

ALYSSIA PISANO

Position: Small forward

State league team: Eastern Ranges

Club: Rowville Knights

A very handy left-foot kick, Pisano has been on the radar of a number of clubs in recent months and is expected to be selected early in the draft. Is another player to have overcome an ACL injury, making her return in Round 1 of the NAB League girls season this year with four goals, proving she hadn?t missed a beat. Went on to kick goals in every game she played. Is a very clean player ? particularly at ground level ? and can do serious damage.

BROOKE BARWICK

Position: Midfielder

State league team: Tasmania Devils

Club: Glenorchy/Claremont

One of Tasmania?s finest young talents who was cruelled by a knee injury ? suffered while playing touch football with friends ? in 2023. With a now-repaired ACL in tow, her skills and consistency are noted assets and Barwick will be ready for the 2024 season. Represented the Allies at the 2022 national championships as a bottom-age player and earned All-Australian honours. What she might lack in size at just 157cm, Barwick more than makes up for with clearance and defensive ability.

JEMMA RIGONI

Position: Utility

State league team: Oakleigh Chargers

Club: Ashburton

Nominated draft state: Victoria

If you watched footy through the ?90s, there?s every chance Jemma?s name sounds familiar. But the daughter of former Melbourne player Guy Rigoni is more than making her own name with the Sherrin in hand. Her speed and footy smarts put her ahead of the pack, with a very handy left foot. Eligible to be selected under the father-daughter rule by the Demons, where she is expected to land.

PIPER WINDOW

Position: Mid/forward

State league team: South Australia

Club: Glenelg

Nominated draft state: South Australia

Absolutely starred in the SANFL women?s competition this season and was duly rewarded with league best and fairest honours. Hails from a long line of successful South Australian footballers and has links to Adelaide, combining power, speed and athleticism into a dangerous combination. ?The past couple of seasons, I?ve really started to focus on my skills and on footy, and I?ve put nearly all my time into it,? she said this year. I know there?s still definitely a lot more to come, but I think it?s a great starting point.?

ELLA SLOCOMBE

State league team: Claremont

Club: Claremont

Became something of a draft bolter this season after showing off explosive speed and delivered big testing results after a huge off-season. Won a premiership with Claremont this season and also impressed for her state at the national championships. Unfortunately missed the second half of the WAFLW season due to a knee injury but won?t be hampered by next AFLW season. One of WA?s best three talents, Slocombe recently toured the Eagles? facilities but nominated for the national draft last week and could well be an early selection.

GEORGIE CLEAVER

Position: Ruck/forward

State league team: East Fremantle

Club: Rossmoyne

Nominated draft state: Western Australia

An elite-level netballer, Cleaver has nominated WA due to her on-court commitments in the state as she bids to earn a Super Netball contract and juggle the two sports. Won a grand final with East Fremantle this year and also represented Australia at the youth Commonwealth Games in Trinidad and Tobago ? not a bad 12 months for the young tall. Has been a member of the AFL National Academy and has impressed with her tapwork and clean skills.

BROOKE BOILEAU

State league team: South Adelaide

Club: Mount Compass

Nominated draft state: South Australia

A member of Port Adelaide?s next generation academy, it?s likely Boileau will be in teal next season. Had a breakout year and improved across a range of areas as was indicated in her draft testing, where Boileau was among SA?s best. An inside midfielder, Boileau averaged 22 touches ? half of those contested ? and five tackles at the national championships and finished with an All-Australian nod.

MIKAYLA WILLIAMSON

Position: Mid/defender

State league team: Dandenong Stingrays

Club: Pines

Possesses explosive speed which allows her to evade opponents and damage at clearances. Earned All-Australian honours with a promising national championship showing, and is rated as elite for athleticism and consistency. Delivered an all-time best in the 2km time trial at the draft combine to further sharpen the eyes of recruiters on her, smashing the next best contender by 12 seconds, and ranked second overall on the agility test. A smart player.

LILA KECK

Position: Small forward

State league team: Bendigo Pioneers

Club: South Bendigo

A sharp player with strong goal sense, Keck can move between working as a small forward and the midfield. Has noted energy and X-factor after developing her game throughout recent years with Bendigo Pioneers and Vic Country. Was hampered by ankle trouble this year ? including ligament trouble before the national championships ? but turned her hand to coaching when not playing for a new perspective on the game. Has class in attack and will no doubt bring some electric celebrations to match.

ELAINE GRIGG

State league team: Central District

Club: Broadview

Was part of the SA title-winning team at the national championships, where she averaged 18 disposals and caught eyes with her creativity and contested work. Her tackling pressure is also among the best, laying at least five tackles in every SANFLW game she played this season. Born in Kenya, Grigg?s athleticism and endurance has been rated as elite in testing this year and could go inside the draft?s Top 10 picks.

KAITLYN SRHOJ

State league team: Peel Thunder

Club: Halls Head/Mandurah

Considered one of Western Australia?s top draft prospects after turning her hand to football in the wake of a serious ankle injury playing basketball. It proved a turning point, making her WAFLW debut in 2022 and earning AFL Academy selection this season. Shows great aerial promise and has an ability to play either inside or outside, and is firmly in contention to be selected within the first round of the national draft.

CLEO BUTTIFANT

Position: Key defender

State league team: GWS Giants Academy

Club: Ainslie/Turvey Park

Buttifant took her game to a new level this season, having only played Australian ruled for two years after previously being focused on touch football with the Australian Emus. The dual-sport athlete has what AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan describes as ?dazzling? pace. Proved her consistency at the national championships, and has shown her ability in the air can be put to real use. It might have happened quickly for Buttifant ? a childhood Carlton fan ? but she?s ?excited for where it could go?, she said this week.

5. Thanks Prince Imperial, bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks axe.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner.

Has there ever been a player in either the men's or women's game to have two hyphenated names?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that this draft is going to be slightly compromised as a lot of the young guns were prelisted by the expansion clubs last year.

But still, picks 1, 4, 6 and 11 (picks 1 2 4 and 9 of the Victorian clubs, although it is no longer a state based draft) gives us a great platform to rebuild.

In 2019 we had similar numbers after the Richmond and Norf raids. We picked
    1 Newton (gone)
    6 Morris-Dalton (gone)
    8 Lagoia (not up to it)
    9 Georgostathos (2nd in B&F)

Hope we do better this time.
    Edit: went a year early on Hartwig. The 2020 draft was Fitzgerald, Hartwig and Pritchard which has worked out a bit better.
    Last edited by jazzadogs; 14-12-2023 at 11:04 PM.

10. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Prince Imperial, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I read that this draft is going to be slightly compromised as a lot of the young guns were prelisted by the expansion clubs last year.

But still, picks 1, 4, 6 and 11 (picks 1 2 4 and 9 of the Victorian clubs, although it is no longer a state based draft) gives us a great platform to rebuild.

In 2019 we had similar numbers after the Richmond and Norf raids. We picked
    1 Newton (gone)
    6 Morris-Dalton (gone)
    8 Lagoia (not up to it)
    9 Georgostathos (2nd in B&F)
    15 Hartwig (good player)

Hope we do better this time.
    Hartwig was actually taken at pick 11 the following year.

Assuming we don't pass with pick 51 (which I think we use on a ruck), my calculations are that we are still going to have delist 4 players. There's a few in the gun I would think:

Bennetts - 34 and coming off an ACL;
    M. Brown - shown little now at two clubs;
    Lagioia - had five seasons now and still looks off the pace;
    Carruthers - from last year's supplementary draft; the 28 year old played 8 matches but didn't have much of an impact.

12. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Hartwig was actually taken at pick 11 the following year.

Assuming we don't pass with pick 51 (which I think we use on a ruck), my calculations are that we are still going to have delist 4 players. There's a few in the gun I would think:

Bennetts - 34 and coming off an ACL;
    M. Brown - shown little now at two clubs;
    Lagioia - had five seasons now and still looks off the pace;
    Carruthers - from last year's supplementary draft; the 28 year old played 8 matches but didn't have much of an impact.
    I agree with that and on Brown she always gives me the impression of being gun shy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Kirsty? Oh crikey. Wow... I'm surprised she's heart and soul with Ellie.

However, Lamb ? a premiership player for the Bulldogs in 2018 and an All-Australian and best-and-fairest winner at the club in 2022 (season six) ? has opted to take up an offer from the Power and is set to move in the coming days
    I suspect that they've got a lot of money opening up with Phillips retiring and Lamb was a top tier mid that could be leveraged out with a marquee contract.

15. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched a lot of the women’s matches in recent years but find it very hard as so many of our former players are now at other clubs.
    This years losses just increase the pain (no matter how many first round picks we have it doesn’t cover the losses) and I firmly believe the AFL hierarchy have a lot to answer for the rules they put in place for the setup of the newer franchises basically at the expense of the foundation clubs. From my observation many of the new clubs had far better lists than some of the foundation clubs after just 1 or 2 seasons.
    Luvto hear others thoughts on this.

17. Likes Stevo, Bulldog4life, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olddog View Post
    Watched a lot of the women’s matches in recent years but find it very hard as so many of our former players are now at other clubs.
    This years losses just increase the pain (no matter how many first round picks we have it doesn’t cover the losses) and I firmly believe the AFL hierarchy have a lot to answer for the rules they put in place for the setup of the newer franchises basically at the expense of the foundation clubs. From my observation many of the new clubs had far better lists than some of the foundation clubs after just 1 or 2 seasons.
    Luvto hear others thoughts on this.
    I don’t think we can give full blame to the AFL as far as we are concerned , yes it’s been hard for the original clubs but we have fallen right away and Melbourne haven’t.
    It’s a combination of both but we need to ask why are players leaving after one season or two .
    I put a huge blame on our club itself, we have obviously done nothing to make our club attractive to stay.
    Our whole set up seems to be amateur or stuck in the first two years of how the AFLW operated.
    It seems to be same same for next year too ATM . We still haven’t even got a coach,thus assistants won’t be finalised until that is decided.
    I have no idea who is running training or setting up the players schedules etc .
    We don’t seem to be taking it serious .
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The AFLW draft is broken: List managers, recruiters have their say on how to fix payment tiers, drafting, player movement

List managers of AFLW sides have to balance draftees in state pools and national pools, a tiered salary system and don?t have access to trading future picks. Those in the know tell SAM LANDSBERGER about their solutions.

It is time to blow up the state-based element of the AFLW draft and bin the wildly unpopular four-tier salary system offered to players.

The Herald Sun has canvassed the views of AFLW list managers, football bosses, coaches, agents and players and they headlined five significant transformations the industry is crying out for.

Almost on equal-footing with those two changes are allowing clubs to trade future picks to ease the rigidness of trade period.

Longer term the AFLW should consider live trading on draft night and providing clubs with academies to accelerate development that would ultimately enhance a product that is bound for full-time professionalism.

Under current rules the 569 players nominated for Monday night?s AFLW draft chose whether to apply nationally or in a particular state.

About 70 per cent were happy to be picked by any club. It?s understood most of the South Australian and Queensland prospects who nominated for their states did so simply because it was easier ? not because they had an issue relocating.

?I haven?t spoken to one player in our interviews that would have had an issue with going national,? one list boss said.

?We?re ready. I?d be disappointed if we didn?t do it next year, to be honest.?

The state-based draft delivered a healthy advantage to two-club states (originally one club) in footy heartlands. Adelaide has been the biggest winner.

While most girls are now nominating nationally, the risk was outlined clearly by another club.

?If the top five players are all from Western Australia and they all nominate WA, then there is no point in a Victorian club trying to trade up high in the draft because pick eight is just as good as pick two effectively for their talent pool,? they said.

?Vice-versa, if there?s five good WA players and West Coast has pick 35 in the draft ? but it?s the fourth pick in WA ? they?re still going to get the fourth-best player at pick 35.

?But if it was a national draft and you?re sitting ninth on the ladder, and you want to be aggressive in the draft to try and trade up, you know that you can go high and still get a good player.

?What is probably a fair conversation is that they need to balance that with the cost of living and the players? ability to afford to move interstate.?

The feeling is that 12 months is enough notice to tell 2024 prospects that next year?s draft will be totally national.

PAYMENT TIERS

The fresh Collective Bargaining Agreement has ratified tiers until 2027.

In 2023 the payments were $87,192 (tier one), $71,806 (tier two), $61,548 (tier three) and $51,290 (tier four) ? with two or three tier one players per club, six tier twos, six tier threes and 16 tier fours.

By 2027 they will range from $117,968 (tier one) to $72,373 (tier four).

But on page 118 there is a clause that many believe was written in so former AFL boss Gillon McLachlan could sign off on the deal while still in charge.

It reads: ?As soon as practicable following execution of this Agreement but no later than 30 June 2024, the Parties agree to conduct a review of AFLW List and AFLW Player management structure?.

Clubs believe they outgrew tiers years ago, and that clause could be the one to wave ta-ta to the tiers.

The current set-up has seen players who did not feature all season bank similar cash as some who played every game.

It does not make sense. Then, there is the stigma attached. For a generation who grew up counting social media likes some footballers simply want a higher grading.

Some players ranked as a tier four had their salaries beefed up to effectively a flat tier three through ASA payments (Additional Service Agreements).

?But because you?ve got a tier four next to your name the money doesn?t matter. It?s the fact that you see me as a tier four,? one insider said.

?The managers are trying hard to educate, but it?s very difficult. Some of the girls just get hung up on it.?

This masthead is aware of players who believed they deserved be tier three. But after being offered a tier four contract they chose to move from Western Australia to Victoria for a tier three status.

They relocated across the country for the sake of an extra $10,000 and a tier next to their name that is not even publicly available.

It seems nonsensical.

Reading the tea leaves, even though the clause to review by June 30 was written into the CBA it seems as though 2025 would be the most likely move to an open salary cap instead.

In 2025 the cap will be $2,290,812 per club plus $127,693 in ASAs.

Binning the tiers would provide clubs the flexibility to divide that cash among their 30 players as they see fit.

FUTURE PICKS

The AFL can expect written feedback from clubs venting their frustration with rivals on trade tactics last week.

Fremantle poached former No.1 pick Gabby Newton (Bulldgs) and All-Australian Ash Brazill (Pies) and only had No.6 to work with.

The fact the Dockers blew up options presented to them to sweeten those deals ? such as recontracting players being pursued to include in the deals ? was dubious.

But the rigidness of their assets was always going to make it hard work.

Brazill and Newton were set to be stranded until Western Bulldogs and then Collingwood ? with the help of the AFL ? worked their fingers to the knuckle to help do the Dockers? work for them courtesy of an 11-club trade.

?We?ve been very vocal with the AFL that we?re super, super supportive of more flexibility when it comes to trading, in particular,? one club said.

?Because there?s not a whole lot you can do at the moment in terms of being overly strategic with the way that you structure your picks.

?If you?re giving up a good pick for a good player it?s actually really hard to get back into the draft at a good level.

?I would love to see the competition get to a point where there?s future trading in particular.?

The flexibility it would free up is a no-brainer, even if it has to be heavily regulated by the AFL in its infancy.

That said, the passiveness of some clubs pursuing players last week was infuriating and created stress across the industry.

Some clubs deserve to be given a clip from league headquarters.

LIVE TRADING ON DRAFT NIGHT

This one seems a fair way away. The demographic of some booths at the men?s draft even alarmed some because there is a sense this is a young person?s game.

The whiz in this space is Sydney?s senior data analyst Chris Keane, the man who exposed a loophole in the live trading system when it was less than 10 picks old in 2018.

Keane is a mathematics gun and when AFL clubs are weighing up multiple offers on the clock on draft night he is the sort of operator you want crunching the numbers.

AFLW clubs do not currently have the resources to get this right.

ACADEMIES

Could AFLW be used as guinea pigs to get the controversial system in the men?s league right?

That idea was raised by two sources who both admittedly added that ?guinea pigs? was far from the ideal word to use.

But there is merit in incentivising clubs to develop talent. The standard of some girls playing Coates Leagues is, according to a few experts, far from ideal.

Resourcing would clearly be a big issue. One northern AFL club spends $1.3 million annually on their academy.

But there must be a way to capture more talent. The men?s draft routinely sees smokeys picked from VAFA or local clubs, but that is not the case in AFLW.

List managers laugh at the flood of emails and phone calls they get at this time of year.

Coaches, parents, managers and even players themselves flick through tapes with notes attached.

?You?ve got to see this girl ? she?s better than anyone you?ve got on your list,? they often say.

The reality is they are a long way off it. Like live trading, this is one perhaps for the longer term.

STAGGERED APPROACH

New football boss Laura Kane will be reluctant to rush the evolution of AFLW. Put simply, the league does not yet trust clubs enough to pull multiple levers at once.

Friday?s AFLW draft rehearsal perhaps highlighted that when the league workshopped what would happen if a club attempted to draft someone who had not nominated for their state.

The sophistication gap is significant and the switched-on clubs could swindle those without the same level of experience.

But it should be a national draft next year with future picks also given significant consideration while tearing up the tier system by 2025 would be a pleasing outcome.

It?s worth remembering this is still a semi-professional league.

HUNGOVER DRAFT

There were 41 players traded in trade period ranging from the Dogs (six inclusions) to Adelaide (none).

The Dogs will dominate Monday night?s draft with picks No.1, 4, 6 and 11. But as talent orders are finalised their fans should not get overly excited.

The hangover effect from the expansion clubs has seen eight of the best talents taken off the board already.

They are Hayley McLaughlin, Laura Stone, Jess Vukic (Hawthorn), Lauren Young, Molly Brooksby, Shineah Goody (Port Adelaide), Amy Gaylor (Essendon) and Holly Cooper (Sydney).

Sources said in a national draft there was little doubt Young would?ve gone No.1, Stone No.2, Goody in the top five and Brooskby in the top 15.

Gaylor and Vukic would?ve been among the top five Victorian girls.

It is little wonder the Dogs would have picked Gabby Newton at No.1 for the second time in five years if a trade fell over.

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner is the likely No.1 pick on Monday night, a 178cm key forward who could go from Western Jets to Western Bulldogs overnight.

21. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The AFLW draft is broken: List managers, recruiters have their say on how to fix payment tiers, drafting, player movement

List managers of AFLW sides have to balance draftees in state pools and national pools, a tiered salary system and don?t have access to trading future picks. Those in the know tell SAM LANDSBERGER about their solutions.

It is time to blow up the state-based element of the AFLW draft and bin the wildly unpopular four-tier salary system offered to players.

The Herald Sun has canvassed the views of AFLW list managers, football bosses, coaches, agents and players and they headlined five significant transformations the industry is crying out for.

Almost on equal-footing with those two changes are allowing clubs to trade future picks to ease the rigidness of trade period.

Longer term the AFLW should consider live trading on draft night and providing clubs with academies to accelerate development that would ultimately enhance a product that is bound for full-time professionalism.

Under current rules the 569 players nominated for Monday night?s AFLW draft chose whether to apply nationally or in a particular state.

About 70 per cent were happy to be picked by any club. It?s understood most of the South Australian and Queensland prospects who nominated for their states did so simply because it was easier ? not because they had an issue relocating.

?I haven?t spoken to one player in our interviews that would have had an issue with going national,? one list boss said.

?We?re ready. I?d be disappointed if we didn?t do it next year, to be honest.?

The state-based draft delivered a healthy advantage to two-club states (originally one club) in footy heartlands. Adelaide has been the biggest winner.

While most girls are now nominating nationally, the risk was outlined clearly by another club.

?If the top five players are all from Western Australia and they all nominate WA, then there is no point in a Victorian club trying to trade up high in the draft because pick eight is just as good as pick two effectively for their talent pool,? they said.

?Vice-versa, if there?s five good WA players and West Coast has pick 35 in the draft ? but it?s the fourth pick in WA ? they?re still going to get the fourth-best player at pick 35.

?But if it was a national draft and you?re sitting ninth on the ladder, and you want to be aggressive in the draft to try and trade up, you know that you can go high and still get a good player.

?What is probably a fair conversation is that they need to balance that with the cost of living and the players? ability to afford to move interstate.?

The feeling is that 12 months is enough notice to tell 2024 prospects that next year?s draft will be totally national.

PAYMENT TIERS

The fresh Collective Bargaining Agreement has ratified tiers until 2027.

In 2023 the payments were $87,192 (tier one), $71,806 (tier two), $61,548 (tier three) and $51,290 (tier four) ? with two or three tier one players per club, six tier twos, six tier threes and 16 tier fours.

By 2027 they will range from $117,968 (tier one) to $72,373 (tier four).

But on page 118 there is a clause that many believe was written in so former AFL boss Gillon McLachlan could sign off on the deal while still in charge.

It reads: ?As soon as practicable following execution of this Agreement but no later than 30 June 2024, the Parties agree to conduct a review of AFLW List and AFLW Player management structure?.

Clubs believe they outgrew tiers years ago, and that clause could be the one to wave ta-ta to the tiers.

The current set-up has seen players who did not feature all season bank similar cash as some who played every game.

It does not make sense. Then, there is the stigma attached. For a generation who grew up counting social media likes some footballers simply want a higher grading.

Some players ranked as a tier four had their salaries beefed up to effectively a flat tier three through ASA payments (Additional Service Agreements).

?But because you?ve got a tier four next to your name the money doesn?t matter. It?s the fact that you see me as a tier four,? one insider said.

?The managers are trying hard to educate, but it?s very difficult. Some of the girls just get hung up on it.?

This masthead is aware of players who believed they deserved be tier three. But after being offered a tier four contract they chose to move from Western Australia to Victoria for a tier three status.

They relocated across the country for the sake of an extra $10,000 and a tier next to their name that is not even publicly available.

It seems nonsensical.

Reading the tea leaves, even though the clause to review by June 30 was written into the CBA it seems as though 2025 would be the most likely move to an open salary cap instead.

In 2025 the cap will be $2,290,812 per club plus $127,693 in ASAs.

Binning the tiers would provide clubs the flexibility to divide that cash among their 30 players as they see fit.

FUTURE PICKS

The AFL can expect written feedback from clubs venting their frustration with rivals on trade tactics last week.

Fremantle poached former No.1 pick Gabby Newton (Bulldgs) and All-Australian Ash Brazill (Pies) and only had No.6 to work with.

The fact the Dockers blew up options presented to them to sweeten those deals ? such as recontracting players being pursued to include in the deals ? was dubious.

But the rigidness of their assets was always going to make it hard work.

Brazill and Newton were set to be stranded until Western Bulldogs and then Collingwood ? with the help of the AFL ? worked their fingers to the knuckle to help do the Dockers? work for them courtesy of an 11-club trade.

?We?ve been very vocal with the AFL that we?re super, super supportive of more flexibility when it comes to trading, in particular,? one club said.

?Because there?s not a whole lot you can do at the moment in terms of being overly strategic with the way that you structure your picks.

?If you?re giving up a good pick for a good player it?s actually really hard to get back into the draft at a good level.

?I would love to see the competition get to a point where there?s future trading in particular.?

The flexibility it would free up is a no-brainer, even if it has to be heavily regulated by the AFL in its infancy.

That said, the passiveness of some clubs pursuing players last week was infuriating and created stress across the industry.

Some clubs deserve to be given a clip from league headquarters.

LIVE TRADING ON DRAFT NIGHT

This one seems a fair way away. The demographic of some booths at the men?s draft even alarmed some because there is a sense this is a young person?s game.

The whiz in this space is Sydney?s senior data analyst Chris Keane, the man who exposed a loophole in the live trading system when it was less than 10 picks old in 2018.

Keane is a mathematics gun and when AFL clubs are weighing up multiple offers on the clock on draft night he is the sort of operator you want crunching the numbers.

AFLW clubs do not currently have the resources to get this right.

ACADEMIES

Could AFLW be used as guinea pigs to get the controversial system in the men?s league right?

That idea was raised by two sources who both admittedly added that ?guinea pigs? was far from the ideal word to use.

But there is merit in incentivising clubs to develop talent. The standard of some girls playing Coates Leagues is, according to a few experts, far from ideal.

Resourcing would clearly be a big issue. One northern AFL club spends $1.3 million annually on their academy.

But there must be a way to capture more talent. The men?s draft routinely sees smokeys picked from VAFA or local clubs, but that is not the case in AFLW.

List managers laugh at the flood of emails and phone calls they get at this time of year.

Coaches, parents, managers and even players themselves flick through tapes with notes attached.

?You?ve got to see this girl ? she?s better than anyone you?ve got on your list,? they often say.

The reality is they are a long way off it. Like live trading, this is one perhaps for the longer term.

STAGGERED APPROACH

New football boss Laura Kane will be reluctant to rush the evolution of AFLW. Put simply, the league does not yet trust clubs enough to pull multiple levers at once.

Friday?s AFLW draft rehearsal perhaps highlighted that when the league workshopped what would happen if a club attempted to draft someone who had not nominated for their state.

The sophistication gap is significant and the switched-on clubs could swindle those without the same level of experience.

But it should be a national draft next year with future picks also given significant consideration while tearing up the tier system by 2025 would be a pleasing outcome.

It?s worth remembering this is still a semi-professional league.

HUNGOVER DRAFT

There were 41 players traded in trade period ranging from the Dogs (six inclusions) to Adelaide (none).

The Dogs will dominate Monday night?s draft with picks No.1, 4, 6 and 11. But as talent orders are finalised their fans should not get overly excited.

The hangover effect from the expansion clubs has seen eight of the best talents taken off the board already.

They are Hayley McLaughlin, Laura Stone, Jess Vukic (Hawthorn), Lauren Young, Molly Brooksby, Shineah Goody (Port Adelaide), Amy Gaylor (Essendon) and Holly Cooper (Sydney).

Sources said in a national draft there was little doubt Young would?ve gone No.1, Stone No.2, Goody in the top five and Brooskby in the top 15.

Gaylor and Vukic would?ve been among the top five Victorian girls.

It is little wonder the Dogs would have picked Gabby Newton at No.1 for the second time in five years if a trade fell over.

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner is the likely No.1 pick on Monday night, a 178cm key forward who could go from Western Jets to Western Bulldogs overnight.
    It’s all a dogs breakfast that whoever designed it all had no idea the mess it would make.
    I will never understand the state choice for players , it makes a mockery of the draft .
    Bring back the biff

23. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are these teams still getting a leg up and who decided that the above players are going to the above teams.

Post Thanks / Like

AFLW ? THE DOC?S 2023 PHANTOM DRAFT

The AFLW Draft is on tonight, with around 50-60 young people realising their AFLW dream or perhaps being granted a second chance.

It?s hard to get a feel on who?s wanting to get who, but I?ve tried to get the feelers out as much as I can over the weekend, in addition to what I?ve seen over the last couple of years and what I think every team needs. I?ve put together my phantom draft and predict who will go where tonight.

Western Bulldogs ? Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner

It?s probably the one that the Bulldogs will want to cross off the list first. Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner is a local, being a Western Jets, but also as someone who has nominated National, you can bet West Coast and GWS will be looking at her too. She has extraordinary athletic attributes for someone of her height and has shown she can play across the midfield and forward line. The Dogs need the best players right now, and this is the best they can get.

West Coast ? Jess Rentsch

There have been some rumours late that the Eagles could move on Rentsch, who?s got some family based in Western Australia, and given Rentsch?s incredible athletic attributes, could see the Eagles start her off at half-back before making a permanent switch into the midfield. She excels in the stoppages, particularly on the burst, and will gain meterage quickly. Coming off a severe leg break last year, she?s done all she could to get herself taken early.

GWS Giants ? Brooke Barwick

Despite missing the entire 2023 season with a knee injury, it shouldn?t deter teams from going early on Brooke Barwick. She?s a brilliant ball user by foot and can break the lines with her speed and agility. An All-Australian for the Allies in the 2022 under-18 championships, she?s a player who already has a lot of tools to be a damaging player. The Giants need as many of those types as they can get.

Western Bulldogs ? Alyssia Pisano

With Melbourne to pick next, it?s time to turn to a player nominated for Victoria. Alyssia Pisano is coming off a year where she kicked 46 goals in 20 games in all forms of under-18s footy. She?s an intelligent player in terms of where to be in the forward half, and she?s got the pace to burn defenders. The Dogs lacked potent goalkickers this year, among everything else. The Dogs head into next year with some dangerous players forward of centre.

Melbourne ? Elaine Grigg
    Melbourne will look to the best available talent here, and I?ve got them taking Elaine Grigg here, a player who can play both forward and midfield in her time at Central Districts but will most likely get her start in Melbourne?s forward half. She?s pretty special to watch when she gets the time and space, but she can also be strong in the contest when needed. She averaged six tackles per game for the South Australian side in the championships and was named All-Australian on the back of it.

Western Bulldogs ? Georgia Clark
    With their third pick in the first round, now is the perfect time to draft a genuine key forward, and one of the better ones coming out of this year?s draft class is Georgia Clark. The Dogs are desperate to have someone down there with solid hands and a significant aerial presence, and Clark is the one who fits the need well. She averaged 16 disposals and kicked 17 goals for Tasmania in the Talent League this year.

Carlton ? Mikayla Williamson

Carlton will want the best available at this spot in the Draft, and I can see them taking the next best Victorian talent in Mikayla Williamson. She is an elite runner with great pace and a terrific player to have to move the ball in transition. She might start as a rebounding defender, but she can add a lethal point of difference in the midfield alongside Mimi Hill, Abbie McKay and Keeley Sherar.

Collingwood ? Ella Slocombe

Perhaps one thing that hasn?t been talked about enough is the depth of midfielders Collingwood have. Bri Davey and Brit Bonnici are terrific players in the guts, but it then tends to drop off significantly after. Ella Slocombe is a player who boasts an exceptional athletic profile but is also a convenient player to have in the forward half of the ground. She?ll complement what?s slowly turning into a potent midfield unit.

Collingwood ? Cleo Buttifant

Collingwood should look to turn to one of the best key defenders in the draft, and that?s Giants Academy prospect Cleo Buttifant. Whilst a raw prospect in terms of what she can do with the ball in her hands, she?s got an insane athletic profile and produced a pretty solid under-18s campaign for the Allies. She already showed a good understanding of how to play as the intercept marking defender. It should be an excellent pickup for the Pies here.

St Kilda ? Kaitlyn Srhoj

I?ve got the Saints bringing in the next best talent available with this selection, and I believe it?s Kaitlyn Srhoj from Western Australia. The Saints could use a tall midfielder type to compliment the likes of Jaimee Lambert, Georgia Patrikios and Tyanna Smith, and with Srhoj, the Saints have that tall midfielder who can cover ground. She?s also a solid overhead mark and strong in the contest when required.

Western Bulldogs ? Jorja Borg

It?s not every day that a mature-aged player gets taken off the board this early in the Draft, but the Dogs liked what they saw from Jorja Borg in not just the VFLW this year but her lone performance in the AFLW this year against Sydney as a top-up player. Considering the Dogs? next pick won?t be up until the 50s, they don?t have a lot of other options for ruck depth, given Celine Moody?s departure. This will be more of a pick out of necessity than the best available.

Melbourne ? Lila Keck

Unless a bid comes in for Jemma Rigoni (highly unlikely), Melbourne will swoop on the next possible small forward on their list, Lila Keck. A player that could go just inside the top 10, she hasn?t had the runs on the board to show for it this year, but she has shown that she can kick some excellent goals and celebrate hard while doing so. She?s a class talent and the sort of player that can get a side up and about when they?re down. A player that could go just inside the top 10

Richmond ? Sarah Grunden

The best available here could see the Tigers land a midfielder, but given that they already have a good core of midfielders, the Tigers should look at getting someone who can help with the forward unit, and here is where Sarah Grunden can assist. A mid-sized forward at 168cm, she is extremely capable of hitting the scoreboard and helping set up the key forwards with delightful kicks inside 50. She Kicked seven goals for Calder this year in the talent league, averaging 12.3 disposals and five tackles per game.

West Coast ? Kayley Kavanagh

With Fremantle not set to enter the draft until pick 52, the Eagles can afford to draft another few players nominated for the national pool before selecting one of the best key position prospects in Georgie Cleaver with either 38 or 42. So, with this selection, I?ve gone with the best available approach. A reliable midfielder who can win the ball inside and out. She?s consistently winning the ball, and the Eagles could use a little extra depth in the midfield spot.

Sydney ? Kiera Whiley

The Swans have an exciting position since their sudden rise up the ladder this year. I think they?ll look at midfield depth, and perhaps the best available talent here is Kiera Whiley. She?s a consistent player on the inside, averaging nearly three clearances per game in the championships. She also provides good defensive pressure and a capable link-up option in transition. She?s a good height, too, at 172cm. Given she?s nominated nationally, I expect she?ll get snapped up around this mark.

Hawthorn ? Emily Gough

With their midfield stocks secured during the trade period, Hawthorn should target either a key defender to make up for the loss of Catherine Brown or a key forward that can help relieve some pressure off Aine McDonough. I?ve got them taking Emily Gough, a tall unit at 179cm that has the mobility to play several roles around the ground. She?s clean below her knees and has played forward and back throughout the year. She?s a perfect pick here to help continue the Hawks? build.

Geelong ? Chloe Adams

While the Cats aren?t short on options that can run through the midfield, the chance to snare Geelong Falcons captain Chloe Adams is there for them, and I?ve got the Cats taking her on with their first pick. She?s an elite inside midfielder but can also work her way on the outside to receive the ball and send it forward. She also averaged good tackling numbers in the talent league, averaging over eight per game in 14 matches. She?d be good depth for the meantime.

Port Adelaide ? Piper Window

Having only just nominated the South Australian portion of the AFLW Draft, Port Adelaide is set to claim first dibs on Piper Window, who is seen as the best available talent of what?s left after all the expansion pre-listings. It leaves Port Adelaide in a very comfortable position, where they?ve picked up three under-18 players who have lit it up this year and in previous years. With Window, Port will get a player who is a tremendously balanced midfielder with an excellent overhead mark for her size.

Essendon ? Jacinta Baldwick

With Lions Academy product Jacinta Baldwick opting to nominate Nationally, I?ve got the Bombers taking her on with this pick. The Dons need some extra firepower up forward. Baldwick is a player who can hit the scoreboard, having slotted three goals in a championship game against the Allies this year. She?s a very talented player with a great skill set, and for someone at her size of 167cm, she?s an elegant overhead mark, too, making her an excellent little option up forward for the Bombers.

Brisbane ? Sophie Peters

Rules to Academy bidding this year means that Brisbane must match bids from other sides with the picks they?ve got at their disposal. Expect a bid to come for a few players in the first round. One of them should be Sophie Peters, widely regarded as one of the best players to come out of Queensland in this draft class. She?s a very clever player on the run, has a neat kick, and is fast in transition. The Lions have got themselves a good one.

Brisbane ? Evie Long

Another one is tied to Brisbane?s Academy, which is expected to get a bid placed in the first round. Evie Long is a player who battled concussion issues in 2022 but responded to be a prominent figure for both the Lions Academy and Queensland?s under-18s side in the championships. She?s a great runner, has a good overhead mark and a great size at 175cm ? she?s a player with great scope to be a midfielder in due time, but will most likely start up as a forward-type.

26. Thanks josie thanked for this post