Thread: Aflw 2022/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aflw 2022

Moody has been absolutely outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Agree-mostly clean with her hands too. What about that fly from Wood and the follow up tackle? Hope the Freo player is ok but what a tackle!

Post Thanks / Like

Does there seem to be more heavy tackles in the Women's game?
    It's really a tackle fest.
    Like Moody in the ruck, we need a ruck in the men's team...

#signherup

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame Kim Rennie left because they had formed a strong partnership last year, but I feel like this is one of the better games Celine has played as #1 ruck (no stats to back me up). She's been working hard to be a presence at both ends of the ground and won plenty of battles in the ruck.

Re: tackles, I think one of the big issues is there are still a lot of women who don't know how to be tackled which makes them seem more ferocious/heavy.

5. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Gutsy effort - you can see if we can keep most of these players and clean up the skills a bit we are building something in future seasons. Love the tall blond - Bennetts? And our ruck player pretty good too. Usual culprits Toogood, Lamb, Blackburn doing well. Fitzgerald getting her hands on it a bit which we need too. Freo do not many opportunities and from what I’ve seen of this year are one of the better if not the best team. Very skilled.

Heart in mouth stuff when Cranston and was it Toogood went for same mark. Thank goodness both ok. For those of you who’ve played what’s the etiquette there, if 2 players and either could mark ball, so you do not KO your own? Leave it to the forward or to player in front?

Let’s keep it up this half - go girls!
    I imagine Toogood would have called on that occasion and had prime position.

7. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Does there seem to be more heavy tackles in the Women's game?
    It's really a tackle fest.
    Like Moody in the ruck, we need a ruck in the men's team...

#signherup
    Feels like the slower pace and more fumbling leads to bigger hits. The intensity at the contest across the competition is the defining feature at the moment in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    It's a shame Kim Rennie left because they had formed a strong partnership last year, but I feel like this is one of the better games Celine has played as #1 ruck (no stats to back me up). She's been working hard to be a presence at both ends of the ground and won plenty of battles in the ruck.

Re: tackles, I think one of the big issues is there are still a lot of women who don't know how to be tackled which makes them seem more ferocious/heavy.
    Rennie was a loss, but feels like Moody has stepped up this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Feels like the slower pace and more fumbling leads to bigger hits. The intensity at the contest across the competition is the defining feature at the moment in my opinion.
    There seems to be less ability to clear by foot (shorter kicks) so it kind of stays in that congested area.

I don't remember ever sling tackling when I played I don't understand why players do it, you could generally sense when it was time to let go.

Great contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's some goal from that pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort. Freo goal kicking very good from limited opportunities. Sooo close. Let’s beat the Tigers on Sunday.

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There seems to be less ability to clear by foot (shorter kicks) so it kind of stays in that congested area.

I don't remember ever sling tackling when I played I don't understand why players do it, you could generally sense when it was time to let go.

Great contest.
    Yeah, feels like sling tackles weren’t really a big deal when I played (many years ago), but maybe I just didn’t tackle very hard.

Post Thanks / Like

We have brilliant endeavour but we don’t seem to play a super smart game. Not much nuance to the game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing worse than that loss was having to listen to Kellie Underwood.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, feels like sling tackles weren’t really a big deal when I played (many years ago), but maybe I just didn’t tackle very hard.
    Do you think holding the ball was paid more quickly when you played? I know that has been offered as an argument - players now are instructed to hold their tackles for longer because the opposition player is more likely to try and hold on to the ball, which means that holding the tackle will either cause a stoppage or earn a free kick.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a very disappointing loss. We are a great contested team - tackle hard, win the ball inside - but our spread is poor, our field kicking tends to be rushed and under pressure, and we often throw out a loose handball from congestion.

But it was a great effort against a strong team, on the back of the last few weeks.