1 7.14%
  • Average

11 78.57%
  • Below Average

2 14.29%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2021: Ryan Gardner 43

Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2021: Ryan Gardner 43

After being picked up in the 2019 Mid-Season Draft, Gardner found a spot in the Bulldogs side in 2020 as a key defender and was consistently backed in by coach Luke Beveridge.
    LINK

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ryan has show that he can be an important cog in the back line.
    His kicking can be a little suss but I think as time has gone he has show he hold his own with a no frills approach.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I think Ryan has show that he can be an important cog in the back line.
    His kicking can be a little suss but I think as time has gone he has show he hold his own with a no frills approach.
    I've been impressed by his development and 2022 is a big season for him.
    He needs to stay close to injury free as he has competition from Schache and Cordy to be selected alongside of Keath and at times even O'Brien might be used as a 2nd key defender.

I'm hoping we stick with Gardner as Keath's main back up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

2021 was a significant improvement on what was truly an underwhelming and at numerous times woeful first year and a half on our list.

I am worried he doesn't really have an AFL trait (discipline doesn't count), but he does do just enough to play his role well. He is "ok" in a number of areas; he can mark, his kicking is sufficient, he spoils fine, he is fine athletically if not a touch weak, but none of those are particularly impressive and he lacks intensity at times. Luckily he plays the least demanding role in the side in terms of skillset, and the fact that someone like Fletcher Roberts is a Premiership player means that Gardner can still amount to something despite my criticisms.

I'm optimistic he can play a role for us, but really wish we brought another key defender onto the list who could grow and challenge him for his spot as if he goes backwards at all I don't think he is a viable option.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s done well to drag himself up to average.

Has become a reliable, meat and potatoes spoiler who is a nice fit in a defence where we want to limit bench rotations so the mids can use them and keep other defenders free to run and create.

Proven to be tough. If he can be more resilient to the impacts of physical play down there I think he slots in and we are better for it.

10. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Gardner has shown himself as really capable in the lockdown role.

He has good pace and spoils well.

His injury issues hurt us in 2021, but I see him with first crack at the tall lockdown role and I expect him to continue to improve as his experience grows.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has alot of room to get better, I have a feeling he will be an important cog in the machine next year and we might see a 'breakout' year from him... If he remains uninjured.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

13. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is an average footballer who has lots of improvement left in him. He is good one on one, but I get worried when he tries to short pass in the backline (ala Lake).

We need our big men in the backline to stand up, if we are to make the GF again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.