Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashes 2021/22 - 5th Test - January 14 to 18 - Hobart

I think we can't drop Usman Khawaja now after two centuries. Do we rejig the line up abit? Does Harris hold his place.

Hazelwood won't be back for this test, so do we rest Starc and bring in Richardson?
    FFC: Established 1877

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ashes 2021/22 - 5th Test - January 14 to 18 - Hobart

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we can't drop Usman Khawaja now after two centuries. Do we rejig the line up abit? Does Harris hold his place.

Hazelwood won't be back for this test, so do we rest Starc and bring in Richardson?
    Has Hazelwood already been ruled out?
    #BeMoreBulldog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Has Hazelwood already been ruled out?
    Yes, I think this was confirmed on day 4
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starc shouldn't have played in Sydney, we missed a trick by not freshening him up for a Hobart Day/Night test. Assuming Hazlewood isn't right to go I would bring Richardson for Starc.

Harris has looked better but Ussie has to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Starc shouldn't have played in Sydney, we missed a trick by not freshening him up for a Hobart Day/Night test. Assuming Hazlewood isn't right to go I would bring Richardson for Starc.

Harris has looked better but Ussie has to play.
    Did you see the stat that shows how Starc's results decline the longer the series goes?

He probably needs a break.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts:

Warner
    Lambo
    Smith
    Khawaja
    Head
    Green

Big ask to expect Khawaja to open the batting, so I think asking Marnus to is fine - has has largely been doing this anyway.

Alternate is that Khawaja opens up and Lambo and Smith stay as is

Post Thanks / Like

Even with Boland in doubt for the test I think we would like to give a to rest Starc but probably can't now plus its a pink ball test.
    Neser should come in and I while don't believe Richardson is 100% ready to play he would be right in the mix.

Who would be the next most likely fast bowler to be selected?

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't England got some selection challenges ahead of them?

They've called in Sam Billings at the last minute to potentially be the wicket keeper. They're not sure if Stokes can bowl, there has to be questions marks if Anderson can back up again and they must be considering bringing back Rory Burns to replace the out of form Haseeb Hameed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Haven't England got some selection challenges ahead of them?

They've called in Sam Billings at the last minute to potentially be the wicket keeper. They're not sure if Stokes can bowl, there has to be questions marks if Anderson can back up again and they must be considering bringing back Rory Burns to replace the out of form Haseeb Hameed.
    I was surprised they dropped Burns rather than Hameed in the first place. Not that Burns is a world beater but he looks more solid than Hameed. I guess Bairstow's thumb may prevent him from keeping even if he's able to still play. Pope kept better than Butler which says alot about Butler's keeping.

BTW didn't there used to be a rule against subs keeping? I was surprised when I saw Pope keeping after Butler's injury.

Speaking of keepers, is anyone else concerned about Carey? I know it's still early days and he needs more time, but his keeping has been shoddy and he isn't making runs. I could put up with the lack of runs for a while but he has technical keeping flaws that probably aren't going away at age 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of keepers, is anyone else concerned about Carey? I know it's still early days and he needs more time, but his keeping has been shoddy and he isn't making runs. I could put up with the lack of runs for a while but he has technical keeping flaws that probably aren't going away at age 30.
    I am not a fan. He has been a little shoddy every now and then and as you say his batting is below par.

I would give Inglis a go.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised they dropped Burns rather than Hameed in the first place. Not that Burns is a world beater but he looks more solid than Hameed. I guess Bairstow's thumb may prevent him from keeping even if he's able to still play. Pope kept better than Butler which says alot about Butler's keeping.

BTW didn't there used to be a rule against subs keeping? I was surprised when I saw Pope keeping after Butler's injury.

Yeah there was some rule change a year or two back because they felt there would be more injuries if part timers took the gloves.

Re Carey, He's been good behind the stumps with Lyon but less convincing with the quicker bowlers and his batting isn't as good as we would have hoped for.

We should know more after the tour of Pakistan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yeah there was some rule change a year or two back because they felt there would be more injuries if part timers took the gloves.

Re Carey, He's been good behind the stumps with Lyon but less convincing with the quicker bowlers and his batting isn't as good as we would have hoped for.

We should know more after the tour of Pakistan.
    Started the series with a BANG but just dropped off a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Harris will be dropped and Head will come in. Boland in doubt with injury

Post Thanks / Like

Marcus Harris has been axed from the Australian Test side, with SCG centurion Usman Khawaja replacing the opener at the top of the order for the fifth Ashes Test in Hobart.

On Thursday afternoon, Australian captain Pat Cummins confirmed to reporters Harris would not feature in the series finale at Blundstone Arena, while Khawaja will open the batting alongside childhood mate David Warner.

Mitchell Starc was the only paceman from either side to feature in all four Ashes Tests to date, prompting suggestions the Aussie quick should be rested for the fifth match.

Speaking to reporters this week, the 31-year-old was adamant he did not need a rest and was eager to play the historic day-night fixture in Hobart.

Starc boasts a stellar record with the pink ball in Test cricket, taking 52 wickets at 18.23 in nine matches.

“I’m not looking for a break,” he said. “It’s the last Test match of an Ashes series at home. It’s a pink ball too.

“Feeling good. Obviously we’ve had a couple of days now to get ready for the fifth Test.

“Hopefully it’s not my turn to rest … I’d very much like to play. I guess it’s in the hands of selectors.

Post Thanks / Like

No brainer in the end wasn't it.
    Retired from match day thread - Sep 2021.