Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hird joins GWS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hird joins GWS

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If he could just admit he was wrong with the approach he implemented it would go a long way.
    Ding ding ding ding ding.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don't think he's a turd, maybe stubborn to a fault. He put his trust in the wrong people and needed to own that.
    I'm pretty sure you just ctrl + C, ctrl + V ed that straight from his scripted apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Call me a conspiracy theorist, however, is the Hird appointment just another orchestrated by Morrison designed to distract from his Governments management of COVID?

Who's next?

First it was Djoker, now its Hird, next its ______
    I wanna know why they keep spraying us with chemtrails.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously not a fan of his but in a way it would be a shame if he was lost to football.
    It will be interesting to see what this might lead to for him.
    Aren't systemic drug cheats the exact type of people we would hope are lost to football?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes EasternWest, soupman, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Aren't systemic drug cheats the exact type of people we would hope are lost to football?
    I'm actually surprised there's been any positive response to this.

Next we'll be hailing Bomber Thompson's return to being in charge of Gold Coast's first aid cabinet as a masterstroke.

Where does it stop? Do we welcome Wayne Carey back to the commentary box? Making him Minister for Women's Affairs?

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got no problems with this sort of opinion but is it an empathic acknowledgement that people can't change and we can never forgive?

I don't like the man because he never owned up up to crossing the line and on top of that I'd be upset if it was our club bringing him in but at some point I believe he should be able to come back into system. Perhaps he hasn't served enough of a sentence.

Some in the AFL have done despicable actions and somehow find their way back.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've got no problems with this sort of opinion but is it an empathic acknowledgement that people can't change and we can never forgive?

I don't like the man because he never owned up up to crossing the line and on top of that I'd be upset if it was our club bringing him in but at some point I believe he should be able to come back into system. Perhaps he hasn't served enough of a sentence.

What has he done to earn forgiveness?

Given it's quite a privilege to work in an AFL environment I'd think one mistake of that magnitude is enough to rule him out for good. He can find forgiveness in many many other careers that don't involve leadership in an AFL environment.

8. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you've answered your own question. If he had have taken responsibility for what occurred and repented, I'd be prepared to agree that yes, he can and should be given an opportunity to prove himself again.

But he's not done that, and like Mofra said, his shady past with Charters and this episode paints a picture of someone who thinks this behaviour is OK and is taking the piss out of everyone.

10. Likes EasternWest, josie, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the man because he never owned up up to crossing the line
    Are you not contradicting yourself here?

I'm all for a redemption story. But a true redemption story starts with facing up to the fact that you own the issue, not blithely ignoring it or pointing fingers elsewhere.

I can't and won't agree with you on this. It's just another example of the boys brigade being waved through the gates.

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the man because he never owned up up to crossing the line...
    He's not my favourite but I think the Essendon Supplements Scandal (aka systematic drugging of players) was a scandal in two parts:

1/. The Essendon footy department pushing the boundaries of sport science to places they should NEVER be pushed. And - whether guilty of doping or not (and will we EVER know the answer) they 100% took actions that were not in the best interests of the game or their footballers.

2/. The AFL lies, cover-ups and finger pointing that ignored due process and the rights of individuals in order to paint Essendon as a 'dirty club' led astray by 'bad men'. The story in 'The Boys Club' on this - even if only 30% accurate - is beyond belief.

I don't think Hird ever thought he COULD apologise because he was so busy defending himself as 'leader of the bad men'. He was 100% always going to be on the wrong side of history but the AFL's determination to protect themselves and their execs at the expense of the Essendon footy club was not a great chapter.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact they excluded their long term and respected club doctor from the supplements process should have been the biggest red flag imaginable.
    Absolutely inexcusable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The fact they excluded their long term and respected club doctor from the supplements process should have been the biggest red flag imaginable.
    Absolutely inexcusable.
    I've never understood why so many players accepted needles and supplements with a highly respected the club doctor removed from the process.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood why so many players accepted needles and supplements with a highly respected the club doctor removed from the process.
    We was just following orders, honestly!

As an athlete you're 100% responsible for what you put in your body, and the leadership within the playing group should have put a stop to what was going on quick smart.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We was just following orders, honestly!

As an athlete you're 100% responsible for what you put in your body, and the leadership within the playing group should have put a stop to what was going on quick smart.
    I don't think it's exclusive principle just for athletes but I agree the leadership group just followed the advice and didn't question it at enough. I would have bene asking why the doctor wasn't onboard and as soon as they said something like he had old fashioned views it would have triggered alarm bells.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's exclusive principle just for athletes but I agree the leadership group just followed the advice and didn't question it at enough. I would have been asking why the doctor wasn't onboard and as soon as they said something like he had old fashioned views it would have triggered alarm bells.
    I cannot believe the doctor didn't know what was going on. Out of 40 odd players, officials and a few people, someone would have said something.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I cannot believe the doctor didn't know what was going on. Out of 40 odd players, officials and a few people, someone would have said something.
    I think he knew about it but he was excluded from the process. It was the fact he was asking so many questions that resulted him him being pushed aside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree the whole thing was a massive mess. If he didn't know, why didn't he? If he did, they were trying to protect his reputation I assume.

As for Hird, I'm all for second chances and he seems to have suffered greatly unfortunately with his own health due to the saga, so I'm ok with it.