13 59.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2021: Jordan Sweet 41

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Is he training the house down?
    You know he is
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You know he is
    Well I'll have to see if he's having his best pre season ever before I can commit.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's below average and might stay that way. He also might come good with a bit of perseverance, hard work and luck.

Honestly he couldn't be in a better position to have a crack at an AFL career given our list structure, and who he could be feeding the footy. I hope he gives himself the best chance at making it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Sweet in his odd senior appearance in 2021 proved to be a very capable ruck man in an outstanding game against GCS.
    Covid has limited his game time with Footscray in the past two years. A former SANFL premiership player given increased fitness and senior games in 2022 I would be surprised if he doesn’t become a regular allowing Tim English to play as a key forward with the prolonged absence of Josh Bruce through injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have been much better prepared for 2022 if we’d played him instead of Lewis f’n Young, rather than rotting away in half assed scratch matches.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Jordan Sweet in his odd senior appearance in 2021 proved to be a very capable ruck man in an outstanding game against GCS.
    Covid has limited his game time with Footscray in the past two years. A former SANFL premiership player given increased fitness and senior games in 2022 I would be surprised if he doesn’t become a regular allowing Tim English to play as a key forward with the prolonged absence of Josh Bruce through injury.
    Should this be referenced by the point that GC had no recognized ruckman for this game?

9. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Would have been much better prepared for 2022 if we’d played him instead of Lewis f’n Young, rather than rotting away in half assed scratch matches.

Biggest waste of last season was not playing him when Martin went down, should of just run Sweet/English no matter what and kept at it.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Biggest waste of last season was not playing him when Martin went down, should of just run Sweet/English no matter what and kept at it.
    Whatever we did we did a lot right in looking like winning a grand final until late in the third quarter. I was fine with them picking whatever side they thought was going to get us there - I definitely would not have been in favour of playing anybody "no matter what". You don't throw away a shot at a flag in the name of development, they are too hard to win.

Whether Sweet was deserving of being picked more often in the team is a different argument. We were up to our necks in a flag race, development of players is a tricky proposition in that scenario.

12. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, hujsh, bornadog, EasternWest, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Whatever we did we did a lot right in looking like winning a grand final until late in the third quarter. I was fine with them picking whatever side they thought was going to get us there - I definitely would not have been in favour of playing anybody "no matter what". You don't throw away a shot at a flag in the name of development, they are too hard to win.

Whether Sweet was deserving of being picked more often in the team is a different argument. We were up to our necks in a flag race, development of players is a tricky proposition in that scenario.
    That’s fine, but we’re talking about Lewis Young being picked ahead of him, who was largely crap in the primary ruck role during his lead up home and away games (we lost 3 on the trot prior to finals anyway, playing Sweet in those games would have been 100% developmental upside)

And in his two finals he was a non factor so much so he was effectively benched after half time vs Brisbane and never seen again, before hightailing it to Carlton.

Our ruck selection in 2021 was a complete MC balls up throughout that also has 2022 at risk given our lack of coverage/experience/quality in the role and getting smashed in a GF doesn’t forgive it.
    Last edited by comrade; 20-01-2022 at 08:24 AM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That’s fine, but we’re talking about Lewis Young being picked ahead of him, who was largely crap in the primary ruck role during his lead up home and away games (we lost 3 on the trot prior to finals anyway, playing Sweet in those games would have been 100% developmental upside)

And in his two finals he was a non factor so much so he was effectively benched after half time vs Brisbane and never seen again, before hightailing it to Carlton.

Our ruck selection in 2021 was a complete MC balls up throughout that also has 2022 at risk given our lack of coverage/experience/quality in the role and getting smashed in a GF doesn’t forgive it.
    Like I said that's a different argument. I was only disagreeing that we would place development before all else when we are fighting for a flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said that's a different argument. I was only disagreeing that we would place development before all else when we are fighting for a flag.
    Totally agree.

In Sweet's last game he had 4 disposals - not good enough.

Like I said and a few posters, he needs to work on not only ruck work, but around the ground. He has potential, but to me at this stage he is still below average as a complete footballer.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the age profile of our ruck stocks is the biggest restriction presently.
    Two guys very young in games and years.
    It's rare they hit great heights early.

Shame we haven't been able to recruit someone in that 25-30 year bracket for the now but hasn't happened so we have to do with putting time into what we have which I think we are doing.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    He was getting smashed at VFL level late in the season.
    You need to deserve a spot, not get gifted a game because you're tall.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes bornadog, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The point is playing Sweet ahead of Young would have made no difference to our on field results in 2021 but may have paid big developmental dividends in 2022.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that Young had 8 disposals and 4 disposals in his two finals says to me that even if Sweet wasn't playing well, Young wasn't a good choice either. Not sure hindsight applies given many weren't a fan of Young being our ruck to begin with.
    W00F!