Thanks Thanks:  70
Likes Likes:  146
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Injury List - 2022

Please Sticky

WESTERN Bulldogs star Josh Bruce has taken a significant step forward in his recovery from a knee reconstruction by running for the first time since surgery.

The 29-year-old was second in the Coleman Medal on 48 goals when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the dying moments against Essendon in round 21, missing the Dogs' run to the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Now 173 days on from that cruel moment at Marvel Stadium, the former St Kilda spearhead and Greater Western Sydney defender is back running at Whitten Oval.

Bruce isn’t expected to return to full fitness until August at the earliest, with the Western Bulldogs hoping the gun forward will be available for another deep September run.

While Brisbane forward Eric Hipwood is humming and on track to return within 10 months of surgery, the Dogs will take an ultra-conservative approach with Bruce.

Bruce started running on the AlterG anti-gravity treadmill at the end of November and has spent plenty of time on the bike, in the gym and in the physio room with head of sports medicine Chris Bell overseeing his rehab.

The Dogs have two young stars who are hungry to play senior football this season in Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Sam Darcy.

After being taken with pick No.1 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, Ugle-Hagan played only five games in the red, white and blue in 2021, while Darcy started at the club in December after the Bulldogs matched Greater Western Sydney's bid to take the son of club great Luke Darcy at pick No.2 in November.

Ugle-Hagan endured a difficult debut season following plenty of hype, but the penny has dropped over the pre-season with the 19-year-old impressing those inside Whitten Oval with an improved level of professionalism.

Darcy is still recovering from the stress fracture he suffered in his foot but is expected to transition into the main group closer to round one.

But while Ugle-Hagan and Darcy are set to gain some valuable senior experience in the absence of Bruce, the Western Bulldogs possess one of the best young spearheads in the business in Aaron Naughton.

The West Australian took his game to the next level in 2021, slotting 47.40 from 25 appearances and was able to spend time at home over the off-season, given the Dogs finished the season in Perth.

Naughton, who has turned heads in Footscray this month with his white headband that has a little bit of the iconic Bjorn Borg about it, was given an extended break at home and didn't return to training until January 14, along with fellow West Australian Tim English.

Toby McLean is also working his way back from an ACL – his second knee reconstruction – and is just over a month ahead of Bruce.
    Young gun Cody Weightman is closing in on a return to full training after undergoing foot surgery in October after carrying the injury for more than 12 months.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Hotdog60, jazzadogs, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2022

Son-of-a-gun Dog to miss months with foot stress fracture

The Bulldogs are taking a cautious approach with gun youngster Sam Darcy after his foot injury failed to respond to rest over Christmas

WESTERN BULLDOGS teenager Sam Darcy is set to miss the first half of 2022 due to an ongoing navicular bone stress fracture in his foot.

The No.2 pick at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft hasn’t trained with the main group since arriving at the Whitten Oval at the end of November with the injury he suffered late last season.

AFL.com.au can reveal the 18-year-old won't return to full training until May at the earliest with the stress fracture taking longer to heal than first thought.

The Bulldogs view the 205cm key position prospect as a 12-to-15-year prospect and will take an ultra-conservative approach with his rehabilitation.

It is understood Darcy has continued to experience pain in his foot after trying to run again after the Christmas break, forcing high performance boss Mat Inness and head of sports medicine Chris Bell to reduce his workload and focus on more rest, as they look to find a solution for the lingering problem.

Darcy will need to build up his aerobic fitness once his foot recovers, which could mean he doesn’t play any football until deeper into the season.

When the Dogs matched Greater Western Sydney's bid for Darcy to add the son of club great Luke Darcy to a growing list of father-son recruits on the list, they club hoped he would be back to full fitness by this stage of the pre-season but given his light frame and the positions he plays, they weren't expecting to throw him to the wolves early in 2022.

With Stefan Martin and Tim English in the ruck, and Aaron Naughton in attack, the club is well stocked for tall options right now, despite the absence of key forward Josh Bruce, who will miss most of this season after tearing his ACL late last season.

Luke Beveridge is expected to expose 2020's No.1 pick, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, to more senior football this season, starting as early as the Bulldogs' season-opener if the young spearhead can find some form against in pre-season games against the Bombers and the Lions.

Ugle-Hagan struggled to adapt to the professional demands of the game in his debut season and battled to secure a regular senior game, managing five appearances as the Western Bulldogs progressed to the final game of the season, but has banked a full summer on the track after spending plenty of time with captain Marcus Bontempelli over the past six months.

Star midfielder Bailey Smith and key defender Alex Keath will both miss Wednesday's practice match against Essendon at The Hangar.

Smith is dealing with groin soreness while Keath hurt his back recently, but both are expected to be fit in time to face Brisbane in the AAMI Community Series on March 4.

There were initial fears Keath would miss round one, but the 30-year-old has made significant improvements in recent days and should get some game time ahead of the opening game of 2022.

New recruit Tim O'Brien is facing a race against the clock to be fit in time for the Grand Final rematch against Melbourne on March 16 after suffering a hamstring strain.

While Toby McLean and Bruce are still a long way off returning from knee reconstructions, Cody Weightman has transitioned back into full training over the past fortnight after undergoing foot surgery in October and will face the Bombers.

The livewire small forward carried the foot injury across all of 2021 but has finally had the problem resolved, returning for last Wednesday's intra-club at the Whitten Oval.

Post Thanks / Like

An injury to Keath would be a disaster. Not great heading into round one.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...l-sMzrdbRlNAek

Midfielder Bailey Smith and key defender Alex Keath will miss tomorrow’s practice match against Essendon with minor setbacks but should be available for selection for the Western Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series fixture next Friday.

Despite the pair suffering minor match simulation injuries, Bulldogs Head of Sports Medicine Chris Bell anticipates both are on track to play a role in the Club’s pre-season hitout against the Lions.

“Bailey will be managed after having some groin soreness following last week’s intraclub hitout," Bell said.

“The plan at this stage is to build his match minutes for the second practice fixture against Brisbane.

“Alex recently suffered some back soreness during match simulation. He has improved significantly over the past few days, and we are optimistic that he will be available for the AAMI Community Series.”

Tim O’Brien is in doubt for the beginning of the season after suffering a hamstring injury.

“At this stage of the preseason we are going to be conservative with Tim and his management of the hamstring as we look to build continuity and an uninterrupted season ahead,” Bell said.

Louis Butler has also sustained a hamstring injury and is tracking to be available early in the season, while Riley Garcia is recovering from a syndesmosis injury which will see him on the sidelines until the back end of March.

Anthony Scott is on track to be available for Round 1, despite an eye injury which required surgery.

Sam Darcy is continuing his rehabilitation program, after being diagnosed with a navicular bone foot stress injury late in 2021.

“Given Sam is a developing young athlete with a bright future, we want to make sure that we are conservative in his management and take our time to build a resilient and durable athlete,” Bell said.

“The management plan in place for Sam will have a long-term approach, and the Club will confirm whether this involves playing games in the second half of the season once we accurately track progress over the coming months.”

Toby McLean and Josh Bruce are progressing well following their ACL reconstructions and are currently in line with their rehabilitation plans.

There is an expectation that the pair will integrate into some training in May, and hopefully be ready for matches in early August.

The Western Bulldogs’ squad will be released at 5.00pm today, ahead of the practice match against Essendon tomorrow at the NEC Hangar.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

God, the injury curse begins...!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is more that we are now showing our cards. We do this every year. Keep injuries quite until we need to say them out loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    An injury to Keath would be a disaster. Not great heading into round one.
    I get the feeling Keath will have an interrupted season.

His age profile and injury history does not fill me with confidence.

Since he injured his hammy against Melbourne at the G; he hasn't been able to get his body 100% right.
    Last edited by azabob; 25-03-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I get the feeling Keith will have an interrupted season.

Since he injured his hammy against Melbourne at the G; he hasn't been able to get his body 100% right.
    Back and Hammies are usually related as well. Fingers crossed on this one, he is so important to the backline.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling Keith will have an interrupted season.

I'm not familiar with his injury history at Adelaide, but he's only missed 3 games in 2 years with us, and they were all at the end of last season.

How do you know that he hasn't been able to get his body right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not familiar with his injury history at Adelaide, but he's only missed 3 games in 2 years with us, and they were all at the end of last season.

How do you know that he hasn't been able to get his body right?
    I don't know for certain, I am speculating.

At least two of those games, if not three were in the second half of 2021. I'd suggest he wasn't 100% fit for the grand final either.

He is now missing games because of a back injury. Not exactly a great start to the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know for certain, I am speculating.

At least two of those games, if not three were in the second half of 2021. I'd suggest he wasn't 100% fit for the grand final either.

He is now missing games because of a back injury. Not exactly a great start to the year.
    Picking up an injury late in pre-season is obviously not ideal but I'm not going to start panicking just yet. I don't think he has been injury prone so hopefully just a hiccup and he remains relatively fit throughout the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Picking up an injury late in pre-season is obviously not ideal but I'm not going to start panicking just yet. I don't think he has been injury prone so hopefully just a hiccup and he remains relatively fit throughout the season.
    I hope I am wrong and you are right.

The other little snipped to come out over the weekend is Garcia has a syndesmosis injury. Unsure how much longer he is out for!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I am wrong and you are right.

The other little snipped to come out over the weekend is Garcia has a syndesmosis injury. Unsure how much longer he is out for!
    I heard 6 to 8 weeks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Keath and Smith are set to play Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

From AFL.com.au

Injury watch

Bailey Smith is expected to play this week against Brisbane after missing the practice match against Essendon with groin soreness, while Alex Keath battled a back issue but should also be right to go against the Lions at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

Recruit Tim O'Brien is unlikely to be ready for round one after a hamstring strain at training, with youngster Louis Butler also unavailable with a hamstring injury.

An ankle syndesmosis injury to Riley Garcia will see him ruled out of selection for the first few weeks of the season, while the club has ruled out prized draftee Sam Darcy for up to the first half of the season as he deals with a navicular stress fracture in his foot.

Anthony Scott is expected to be ready for round one after eye surgery, while Toby McLean and Josh Bruce are long-term propositions as they recover from their respective knee reconstructions.

17. Thanks Grantysghost, Smads57 thanked for this post