Thanks Thanks:  70
Likes Likes:  146
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I think injuries happen. I think our best players have played consistently over the past few seasons. This includes Bont, English, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Bailey Smith, Dale, Daniel, Williams, Bruce and Naughton.

I thought we managed Hannan and Treloar well, who both came across from other clubs with history.

Last year we missed Dunkley, Treloar, English, Richards and Bruce all from trauma injuries. Are they preventable? Maybe, maybe not.

I like the discussion, the points people make are valid and it's an important discussion. Losing attracts a greater spotlight but I'm confident the same questions are asked behind closed doors.

It is a high intensity sport. Some players are prone to soft tissue injuries over others. Does the data indicate we have a disproportionate amount of injuries compared to other clubs? I'm not sure.
    I don't think you're wrong. but the VdM going down with yet another soft tissue, 2 weeks after coming back on top of English and Keath suggests we are not getting something right on that side of the ledger. Add O'Brien's calf into it and we have 4 players not playing who would be in the starting 22 due to soft tissues.

Agree you can't do much about impact injuries or a knee popping from an awkward twist/landing, but muscle tears and strains are preventable through conditioning/strength and recovery techniques.

2. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2-3 weeks for a broken collarbone that required surgery seems quick!
    Modern medicine eh?

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooof, at this point VdM isn't worth persisting with. If he's missing large strings of games from soft tissue injuries at this age then he's never going to develop and they'll only get worse as he gets older.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Ooof, at this point VdM isn't worth persisting with. If he's missing large strings of games from soft tissue injuries at this age then he's never going to develop and they'll only get worse as he gets older.
    Wait till you hear he’s already 23.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance they can give us an update on what country JJ is in and how he got trapped there indefinitely?

8. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Any chance they can give us an update on what country JJ is in and how he got trapped there indefinitely?
    He hurt his calf in the warm up in rd 1.

Out for the year.

(nobody believes the shit our club spins its embarrassing)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Yeah, it’s a shame but I’m on the same page. Waste of a list spot.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, it’s a shame but I’m on the same page. Waste of a list spot.
    Let's wait till Baz re-signs then tap him on the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Let's wait till Baz re-signs then tap him on the shoulder.
    Good thinking.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club would want to be very careful about cutting someone loose after a few injuries without exploring every possible option first. It would send a fairly ordinary message to the playing group that if you have some injury issues it's too hard for us and we might just cast you aside. The next young player that has some problems might just ask for a trade to club that they believe will manage them better. It could be a disastrous reputation to carry.

Aside from that this is a young man and his career and it's just a shitty thing to do unless we just can't find a way to get him right. Surely we aren't at that point yet?

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Modern medicine eh?
    I imagine the surgery is to insert a plate to help it heal quicker and enable an earlier return.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think the club would want to be very careful about cutting someone loose after a few injuries without exploring every possible option first. It would send a fairly ordinary message to the playing group that if you have some injury issues it's too hard for us and we might just cast you aside. The next young player that has some problems might just ask for a trade to club that they believe will manage them better. It could be a disastrous reputation to carry.

Aside from that this is a young man and his career and it's just a shitty thing to do unless we just can't find a way to get him right. Surely we aren't at that point yet?
    Should we consider putting him on a long term injury list to get him right for next year, and then look for a ruckman from the lower comps in the half year draft?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should we consider putting him on a long term injury list to get him right for next year, and then look for a ruckman from the lower comps in the half year draft?
    Only the medicos could answer that but to speculate - possibly. You don't want to write his season off unnecessarily but we really do need to try and get him right.

Also forgot to mention that Vanders is contracted until the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere this year. I think we need to try everything we can between now and the end of next season to fix his issues. Perhaps a hard call will have to be made then if we aren't successful.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Only the medicos could answer that but to speculate - possibly. You don't want to write his season off unnecessarily but we really do need to try and get him right.

Also forgot to mention that Vanders is contracted until the end of 2023 so he's not going anywhere this year. I think we need to try everything we can between now and the end of next season to fix his issues. Perhaps a hard call will have to be made then if we aren't successful.
    I'm less concerned about his body and more about his footballing ability... what traits as an AFL player does he have other than being fast? (and quite regularly when he runs fast he pings a hammy!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Modern medicine eh?
    It could be a JJ 2 - 3 weeks so that means Cody will be back in 2023

22. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post