Thanks Thanks:  70
Likes Likes:  146
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2022

How angry is a supporter (long time member) allowed to be about list management.

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath, and proper ruck back up for English.

Neither were addressed, and now we are staring down the barrel of another wasted season where we should have been contending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    How angry is a supporter (long time member) allowed to be about list management.

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath, and proper ruck back up for English.

Neither were addressed, and now we are staring down the barrel of another wasted season where we should have been contending.
    Worst part will be when Melbourne get upset in a prelim and theres an easier team in the GF to play.
    Its why you have to be at the pointy end things tend to not go to script.
    Pies knocking off the Tigers in 2018, GWS knocking off the Pies in 2019 for eg.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've come to accept, I don't agree with it, that this is by design. You can find decent back-up options if you really want to but for some reason we don't.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    It’s going to be a long, cold winter
    I love the Melbourne winter when the Dogs are flying and despise it when we are not in contention. Footy makes a Melbourne winter tolerable.

6. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've come to accept, I don't agree with it, that this is by design. You can find decent back-up options if you really want to but for some reason we don't.

Post Thanks / Like

The glaring........... GLARING needs, were a proper key defender back up for Keath,
    Tim O'Brien
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken a step back for this reason. It’s not good for my sanity to emotionally invest in something I can’t control. I was flabbergasted we made no moves this off-season to address blatantly obvious gaps and weaknesses on our list. We were right in the hunt for a premiership. A couple of obvious moves would have made a huge difference. I still question the desire and selflessness of this group, particularly the midfield brigade, but it’d be amazing what a balanced list could do where everyone knows their role week in week out.

10. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I take solace in the fact that no one was available over the trade period that would have bridged the gap with Melbourne.

They’re miles better than us, with maybe a handful of our players locks to even make their best 22 and they look to have gone to another level this year. They have built their list beautifully and with the right balance over a number of years and have now combined the right personnel with a selfless and team first mindset while we have made significant list management missteps and our players look to have lost faith in each other.

Thank god for 2016.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I take solace in the fact that no one was available over the trade period that would have bridged the gap with Melbourne.

They’re miles better than us, with maybe a handful of our players locks to even make their best 22 and they look to have gone to another level this year. They have built their list beautifully and with the right balance over a number of years and have now combined the right personnel with a selfless and team first mindset while we have made significant list management missteps and our players look to have lost faith in each other.

Thank god for 2016.
    Pretty spot on hate to say :/

Wasn't all perfect planning though, 2019 went sideways and that draft was the pivotal moment along with bringing in Langdon.

Jackson, Pickett, Rivers all major contributors now.

Finishing 16th with the list they already had was one of those lucky unplanned blessings in disguise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Pretty spot on hate to say :/

Wasn't all perfect planning though, 2019 went sideways and that draft was the pivotal moment along with bringing in Langdon.

Jackson, Pickett, Rivers all major contributors now.

Finishing 16th with the list they already had was one of those lucky unplanned blessings in disguise.
    That 2019 dip was definitely a blessing in disguise. They put the foot on the gas from a list management perspective and maximised that draft/trade period to its fullest potential, and the coaching and playing group obviously internalised some hard lessons from the fall down the ladder that ultimately led to the penny dropping from a work ethic perspective.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t end up winning at least one more flag over the next 2-3 years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    It’s going to be a long, cold winter
    Not where I live.

17. Likes Sedat, Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Bruce (ACL) and Toby McLean (ACL) are not expected back until mid-June and early July respectively.

Will be handy in the run home.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Josh Bruce (ACL) and Toby McLean (ACL) are not expected back until mid-June and early July respectively.

Will be handy in the run home.
    Surely even when "fully fit", Bruce isn't doing any rucking.

They'd both be playing if fit and our team would be much, much better for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank god for 2016.
    Form is a funny thing. Everyone looks better when the team is in form. All the decisions make more sense. It's not beyond the believable that we'll find our mojo and could be looking back in 8 weeks saying "Yeah, those early losses were just because we couldn't convert but once we started to, we've been one of the top couple teams in the comp. You could see it in general play we just didn't finish. Bring on the finals!"

Of course, we could be saying in 8 weeks "When will this season just END already... play Sweet, play Darcy... get games into the kids". I hope not.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god for 2016.
    Agree with all of the above but I am still very grumpy that we didn't steal the flag last year - 19 points up, 8 of the last 9 goals in the match, 7 mins to go to 3/4 time, opposition not looking like scoring for most of the 3rd qtr to that point. Bevo was on track to go full Blighty and pinch 2 flags from nowhere.

Clearly the best team won the flag last year but gilt-edged chances like that don't come along often. Their perfect list build almost didn't count for anything last year, and our mis-managed and lop-sided list build almost didn't matter - it probably didn't on the night because our great area of strength ended up being our greatest downfall in that 7 minutes of hell. That lost opportunity has only been exacerbated in the first month of footy this year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"