Thanks Thanks:  70
Likes Likes:  146
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is this a myth?

Keath out. Other players capable of playing the position include; Gardner, O'Brien, Cordy, Shache and Khamis. I didn't include Naughton in that list. Yes, we lost our best key position defender and he's hard to replace but no club has A graders on standby incase of an injury. Who would you have targeted in the off-season to address this issue?

Likewise, English is out with a hamstring and Martin stepped in with Sweet in reserve. I agree that we're thin in the ruck position. What players do you think would have helped us address this issue during the off-season?

Please don't misinterpret my post as a criticism, rather, I'm genuinely keen to know how could we have addressed this issue in the off-season.
    I think we could have been realistic in appraising some of the players we had as back up. If we had chased a KPD to work along side Keath the impact would have been Gardner out of the team and one of Cordy, Schache and Khamis off the list. Now Gardner has been good this year, but our results have been average. With Keath out he has become really important and in some ways we may be setting ourselves up well for 2023/24 and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is this a myth?

Keath out. Other players capable of playing the position include; Gardner, O'Brien, Cordy, Shache and Khamis. I didn't include Naughton in that list. Yes, we lost our best key position defender and he's hard to replace but no club has A graders on standby incase of an injury. Who would you have targeted in the off-season to address this issue?

Likewise, English is out with a hamstring and Martin stepped in with Sweet in reserve. I agree that we're thin in the ruck position. What players do you think would have helped us address this issue during the off-season?

Please don't misinterpret my post as a criticism, rather, I'm genuinely keen to know how could we have addressed this issue in the off-season.
    It is definitely true of the ruck position. I know that the market saw a ton of backups retained and likely overpaid because of the shortage on capable players, but there are guys who played first ruck for at least 3 teams on the weekend who were not with their current teams last year (Lynch, Ladhams and Strnadica ), who all looked far more competent than anything we have to offer right now. Fort, who is playing regularly for the Lions, and Ceglar who is very okay also went to other clubs for nothing.

Defensively there weren’t off the top of my head a ton of guys moving around but there were some options. Kelly at Essendon isn’t a world beater but could have definitely helped, and I know a few on here advocated for Sam Skinner who hasn’t seemed horrible when he’s played for Port. If we absolutely had to pick a guy from the 2021 Footscray list I still don’t know why Glass-McKasker didn’t get a chance.

Would any of these options worked? Probably not (Ladhams would have and was completely perfect and I still can’t believe we didn’t at least TRY there but anyway), but doing nothing and just hoping on a wing and a prayer that nothing bad happens to anyone important was lazy and just so, so frustrating to see play out. Again.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    but doing nothing and just hoping on a wing and a prayer that nothing bad happens to anyone important was lazy and just so, so frustrating to see play out. Again.
    We asked about Ceglar and he wasn't interested, we asked Soldo again no interest. I am not sure about Ladham.

Maybe we could have tried harder, with others, who knows.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We asked about Ceglar and he wasn't interested, we asked Soldo again no interest. I am not sure about Ladham.

Even if we did ask its a big problem to come away from two consecutive trade periods with the exact same shopping list with the only outcome being we recruited a cooked 35 year old and in both years lost the best backup option we were reluctantly prepared to play (Trengove and Young).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You say this with confidence do any of us actually have a clue?
    Not having a crack at you bad but it's impossible to know the machinations of trade week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Even if we did ask its a big problem to come away from two consecutive trade periods with the exact same shopping list with the only outcome being we recruited a cooked 35 year old and in both years lost the best backup option we were reluctantly prepared to play (Trengove and Young).
    How did we keep Martin. Oh dear. JT is bad, but a better option he was loud and proud and ready to die for the cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside. Don't forget we preferred to get Bruce and Keath in 2020, so not much wiggle room.

Trengove was cooked anyhow, and Young is not a real ruckman. In fact Trengove was a Full back till he switched at Port for a year. We brought him in as a FB but he spent time rucking as well. When Bruce went down last year, we switched English to play more time forward and Young ruck.

I would have looked at another young ruckman to develop - perhaps rookie.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside. Don't forget we preferred to get Bruce and Keath in 2020, so not much wiggle room.

Trengove was cooked anyhow, and Young is not a real ruckman. In fact Trengove was a Full back till he switched at Port for a year. We brought him in as a FB but he spent time rucking as well. When Bruce went down last year, we switched English to play more time forward and Young ruck.

I would have looked at another young ruckman to develop - perhaps rookie.
    If that was the case why did he line up in his first game with us at FF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If that was the case why did he line up in his first game with us at FF?
    That was a disastrous game, but you very well know we didn't bring him in as a FF. Who knows what was the thinking that day

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what goes on with recruiting, but yes looks like that from the outside.
    Is this speculation?

How's the spicy cough?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Is this speculation?

How's the spicy cough?
    Pure speculation!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
    Dominic Bedendo Hand Test
    Josh Bruce Knee 6-10 weeks
    Sam Darcy Foot 4-6 weeks
    Tim English Hamstring 3-4 weeks
    Riley Garcia Knee TBC
    Mitch Hannan Concussion Test
    Lachie Hunter Personal TBC
    Jason Johannisen Calf 1-2 weeks
    Alex Keath Hamstring 2-4 weeks
    Toby McLean Knee 8-10 weeks
    Laith Vandermeer Hamstring 1-2 weeks
    Updated: April 26, 2022

Post Thanks / Like

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
    Dominic Bedendo Hand Test
    Josh Bruce Knee 6-10 weeks
    Sam Darcy Foot 4-6 weeks
    Tim English Hamstring 3-4 weeks
    Riley Garcia Knee TBC
    Mitch Hannan Concussion Test
    Lachie Hunter Personal TBC
    Jason Johannisen Calf 1-2 weeks
    Alex Keath Hamstring 2-4 weeks
    Toby McLean Knee 8-10 weeks
    Laith Vandermeer Hamstring 1-2 weeks
    Updated: April 26, 2022
    How have they not confirmed Garcia by now?

Post Thanks / Like

English is a longer time than I had thought. We need to win a few ugly until the reinforcements arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a disaster re English.

Where’s Roarke? He didn’t play VFL on the weekend.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -