Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  59
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A letter from the CEO: Redevelopment update

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...lopment-update

A letter from the CEO: Redevelopment update
    Chief Executive Officer Ameet Bains has penned an open letter to Bulldogs members and fans.

To our loyal Bulldog family,

I hope you’ve enjoyed a safe and relaxing summer with family and friends after what was another disrupted year with the covid-19 pandemic.

We continue to face challenges with the virus from a football perspective, with our AFLW season impacted twice already due to AFL Health and Safety Protocols, while our men’s team continues to be vigilant as they enter a crucial block of pre-season training.

Despite this, we have so much to look forward to in 2022, and the sense of excitement from our members and fans is palpable. If you haven’t signed up yet, we encourage you to join us on our record-breaking journey beyond 50,000 members. A massive thank you to the just over 37,000 of you who have already committed for the year ahead.

We are now just over six weeks away from our opening round AFL Grand Final rematch against Melbourne, while we look forward to welcoming you all back to VU Whitten Oval tomorrow night for our critical AFLW clash against Fremantle.

In the meantime, we have some exciting work to update you on, as the next stage of our Whitten Oval Precinct redevelopment gets underway.

Over the coming weeks, preparations will commence ahead of the demolition of the existing Whitten Stand, which will kick-start a significant reimagining of our home over the next few years.

This year we will begin to rebuild the stand to become the centerpiece of our amazing facility, as well as install broadcast quality lighting, start work on an indoor training field, reconfigure the surface of the oval and begin landscaping works to improve the experience for our fans and visitors on AFLW, VFL, and VFLW match-days.

We will transform our football facilities for our four elite teams to provide the best chance for sustained success, and we will provide modern amenities for our community to enjoy. It will be a place for all Bulldogs people and our wider community to work, explore, engage and connect.

Crucially, we are committed to recognising our long and storied history throughout the new facility, as well as those who have played a significant role in ensuring we have become the prosperous and strong Club you support today.

That includes our generous donors, and the almost 400 loyal members and fans who purchased a plaque in the Whitten Stand as part of the Club’s debt reduction campaign in 2013.

We will communicate directly with the owners of those plaques this week with our plans to honour their important contribution.

Unfortunately, due to the sheer size of the work needing to be undertaken over the next couple of years, there will be some impact on access for visitors to VU Whitten Oval. This will include decreased carparking spaces and reduced capacity for matches held at the venue.

Barkers Café and the Bulldog Shop will continue to operate from the precinct, with finer details of access and operations to be communicated in due course.

As we continue to work closely with key stakeholders to hand over sections of the facility to our construction partners, tomorrow night’s AFLW match against Fremantle and this weekend’s scheduled Round 5 game against Richmond remain likely to be the final opportunities for our members and fans to sit in the famous stand in its current form.

We encourage our Bulldogs family to take this opportunity to soak in the nostalgia of the Whitten Stand, imagining the exciting future that awaits the Club while you support our Fierce Women of the west.

We’ll have more updates on our design plans and other aspects of the redevelopment to share with you throughout 2022. Until then, take care and stay safe.

Go Dogs!

Ameet Bains.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Thanks Grantysghost, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A letter from the CEO: Redevelopment update

I hope the plaques can go somewhere at the ground if not in the new grandstand. Our family bought them as memorials to our deceased relatives and were planning them for ourselves in the (hopefully distant) future

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    I hope the plaques can go somewhere at the ground if not in the new grandstand. Our family bought them as memorials to our deceased relatives and were planning them for ourselves in the (hopefully distant) future
    Looks like they will go somewhere in the new facility

Crucially, we are committed to recognising our long and storied history throughout the new facility, as well as those who have played a significant role in ensuring we have become the prosperous and strong Club you support today.

That includes our generous donors, and the almost 400 loyal members and fans who purchased a plaque in the Whitten Stand as part of the Club’s debt reduction campaign in 2013.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Likewise. I have been more inclined to visit my nan in her seat than at the cemetery because that’s where I know she’ll be. The plaque has been such a fitting tribute to her. All for the redevelopment, and accepting of the change but the little bit of disruption and loss here does sting a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Was good to have been able to sit up in the EJ Whitten stand in recent years. Many older woofers would have some great memories of it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Was good to have been able to sit up in the EJ Whitten stand in recent years. Many older woofers would have some great memories of it.
    We used to all congregate on the fence in front of it Easty.

My parents from God knows when (50s?) ;me from 1979 ish.

It was pretty much like church. We'd get there early for the reserves, dad would park the car in Staughton Street and we'd walk down to the ground.
    The man with only an index finger and thumb would stamp my paper membership at the turnstile and I'd be in. The beautiful expanse of the Western Oval.

I'd head straight for our spot and then once camped off to the pie stall for two four n twenties! Maybe a coke.

Then other members of the family would trickle in until you could barely move when the seniors started.

Best part was half time when my mum and my auntie whipped out the chocolates and we all dug in!

It was always an awesome day win lose or draw; even with mum putting a garbage bag over you to stop the rain xD

My most vivid memory of the 80s is jumping the fence at the end, feeling the soft turf of the oval (feet would sink half a shoe) and running out to Doug Hawkins, Rick Kennedy or Steve MacPherson et al.

They all look massive in my memory; like gods.

I touched their jumpers, they patted my head... I was ecstatic for a week.

Then we'd do it all again.

Pretty awesome days Easty, and we sucked!
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 02-02-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We used to all congregate on the fence in front of it Easty.

My parents from God knows when (50s?) ;me from 1979 ish.

It was pretty much like church. We'd get there early for the reserves, dad would park the car in Staughton Street and we'd walk down to the ground.
    The man with only an index finger and thumb would stamp my paper membership at the turnstile and I'd be in. The beautiful expanse of the Western Oval.

I'd head straight for our spot and then once camped off to the pie stall for two four n twenties! Maybe a coke.

Then other members of the family would trickle in until you could barely move when the seniors started.

Best part was half time when my mum and my auntie whipped out the chocolates and we all dug in!

It was always an awesome day win lose or draw; even with mum putting a garbage bag over you to stop the rain xD

My most vivid memory of the 80s is jumping the fence at the end, feeling the soft turf of the oval (feet would sink half a shoe) and running out to Doug Hawkins, Rick Kennedy or Steve MacPherson et al.

They all look massive in my memory; like gods.

I touched their jumpers, they patted my head... I was ecstatic for a week.

Then we'd do it all again.

Pretty awesome days Easty, and we sucked!
    I was near by standing between the players race and umpires race, about half way between the fence and the walk way. Stood there from the mid 70s, till near the end of 80s. When the can bar opened, I ended up going there.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Staughton Street
    Staughton St, Sunshine Granty? I believe just off Duke St which is the border between Braybrook and Sunshine and near Ballarat Rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Staughton St, Sunshine Granty? I believe just off Duke St which is the border between Braybrook and Sunshine and near Ballarat Rd.
    No West Footscray one of the parallel streets between the ground and the hospital.

I maybe got the name wrong …!

Edit : I did..Stafford st.

14. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No West Footscray one of the parallel streets between the ground and the hospital.

I maybe got the name wrong …!

Edit : I did..Stafford st.
    Searched it on Maps. Yep Stafford street off Barkly st not far from the ground.

16. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its going to be sad to see the old stand go, but its time to move forward. If we are to remain competitive on and off the field these are the type of steps that we have to take as much as it hurts from a nostalgic pov. Players will want to come if the facilities are cutting edge rather than a shithole. Remember we lost Cooney because we didn't have spongy floors! And I rather enjoy the hope of the prospect that one day we can play AFL H&A games there again, and this is a huge step in achieving that.

Gee its been good to be a bulldog supporter these days.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Its going to be sad to see the old stand go, but its time to move forward. If we are to remain competitive on and off the field these are the type of steps that we have to take as much as it hurts from a nostalgic pov. Players will want to come if the facilities are cutting edge rather than a shithole. Remember we lost Cooney because we didn't have spongy floors! And I rather enjoy the hope of the prospect that one day we can play AFL H&A games there again, and this is a huge step in achieving that.

Gee its been good to be a bulldog supporter these days.
    When we built the current facilities for around $20 million, we had one of the best facilities in the AFL, but as you know times change, and everything needs an upgrade.

I remember when the Whitten stand was being built and it served it'd purpose, but it is not functional underneath.

The new facilities, from the drawings, look fabulous with a huge indoor playing ground where players can actually kick a ball.

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

21. Thanks WBFC4FFC, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs welcome Federal Government funding commitment

The Western Bulldogs have today welcomed the Federal Government’s budget commitment of $15 million to enable the Club to deliver its full vision for the redevelopment of its Victoria University Whitten Oval home.

The Federal commitment will not only contribute to extending a new Western Bulldogs Community Foundation Centre, but will also help establish a Women’s Health and Leadership Hub which will become a centre of excellence for the delivery of partnered programs for girls and women throughout western Victoria and beyond.

Both facilities will complement Stage 2 of the Club’s wider redevelopment project which commenced construction earlier this month.

Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler thanked the Federal Government for supporting the Club’s vision to develop a home for the whole of the community.

“We’re incredibly grateful to the Federal Government for their commitment to Melbourne’s west as part of last night’s budget announcement,” she said.

“Our vision, now and into the future, is for VU Whitten Oval to be a place for the community to call home, alleviating social isolation, enhancing connectivity and promoting health and wellbeing.”

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains said the budget commitment was a strong endorsement of the genuine impact the Club makes in the community.

“Our Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment is one of the more ambitious undertakings by an AFL club, and we’re extremely appreciative of the Federal Government for their support of our community ambitions,” he said.

“This important investment ensures we can deliver on the full potential of the precinct, helping bring people together to access social programs and services which can have a real and meaningful impact on the lives of people living in our backyard and beyond.

“As one of the AFLW’s inaugural clubs with such strong female representation across every layer of our business, including at Board level, we’re excited to be investing further into developing programs which break down barriers of disadvantage, and creating pathways into education and increased participation.

The Federal Government’s $15 million commitment into the project brings the full cost of Stage 2 works to $73.9m and complements existing support from the Club, the AFL and the Victorian Government.

The investment will help create an extended permanent home for the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation within a redeveloped John Gent Stand to incorporate facilities and services which expand the Club and Foundation’s community reach, with a focus on health, education, cultural diversity and youth leadership programs.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully when Albo comes in he stays with this and even ups the contribution.