Likes Likes:  163
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Matches - 2022

Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a brutal day out for Marra.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache looks noticeably leaner this year.

In good shape.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs fall short in practice match

The Western Bulldogs have ramped up their preparations ahead of Round 1 with a narrow loss to Essendon at the Hangar on Wednesday afternoon.

In a tight affair, both teams couldn’t be separated for much of the contest with the Bombers kicking five of the last seven goals to run away 12.9 (81) to 11.9 (75) victors.

Ed Richards showed plenty of the half-back line for the Bulldogs, with his pace and precision kicking propelling the visitors forward on several occasions.

Adam Treloar impressed in the engine room finding ample amounts of the ball and finishing from a tight angle in the third quarter for the highlight of the day.

Josh Dunkley was solid floating across the half back and through the midfield, while Jason Johannisen kicked three goals for the away side.

The Dogs imposed themselves on the game early, kicking early majors via Mitch Hannan and Stef Martin.

A couple of strong pack marks from Aaron Naughton kept a slender lead for the Dogs heading into the main break, with a number of players being rested for the second half, including Marcus Bontempelli and Caleb Daniel.

Three straight goals from Johannisen, Treloar and Laith Vandermeer pushed margin past three goals at the final break, however a late charge for Essendon was enough to take victory in the final term.

The Dogs will next face Brisbane at Marvel Stadium on Friday night in an AAMI Community Series fixture.

ESSENDON 1.5 5.8 7.8 12.9 (81)
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.4 6.6 9.8 11.9 (75)

Goals: Johannisen 3, Naughton 2, Bontempelli Hunter, Martin, Hannan, Vandermeer, Treloar
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Really ??? Granted I was only half watching and half working but I didn't hear Dunkley's name all that often. Definitely didn't hear it 37 times that's for sure.
    You wouldn't have heard many Bulldogs names called out. The commentary was so Essendon-biased. At one point they called Arthur Jones "Jamarra". I could have sworn there were eighteen Wanganeens playing in the last quarter, they were so focused on one player. Funny they went quiet when he kicked it on the full.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    You wouldn't have heard many Bulldogs names called out. The commentary was so Essendon-biased. At one point they called Arthur Jones "Jamarra". I could have sworn there were eighteen Wanganeens playing in the last quarter, they were so focused on one player. Funny they went quiet when he kicked it on the full.
    The commentary was shocking. But then again, so was the camera work
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Schache looks noticeably leaner this year.

In good shape.

He was already a good runner though wasn't he?

Either way he looks incredibly lean - been to the Josh Bruce school of "not fat makes good".

I just hope he's not too lean - I remain hopeful for him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    What do you expect with Brendon Goddard commentating
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Thanks for the reports people.

So did we learn anything today? Were any of our midfield problems/setup in the GF second half appear to be fixed?
    I'd say its still Work in progress - English showed some signs that our ruck combination will be better because he is better - I thought Martin was good and will only build up from there

Dunkley and Treloar showed that they are fit and will be impactful, Libba was solid, Macrae worked into it and did enough, Bont played a half, and then Robbie McComb replaced him after half time, Bailey Smith didnt play at all, Roarke was good for 3/4s? Daniel good for a half,

Once we get a closer to full strength team in we will get more of a sense of where that midfield is at, and presumably the new midfield coach will get more of a chance to work with them

13. Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He was already a good runner though wasn't he?

Either way he looks incredibly lean - been to the Josh Bruce school of "not fat makes good".

I just hope he's not too lean - I remain hopeful for him.
    Yes he was, just looks more hardened this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What do you expect with Brendon Goddard commentating
    When the PA announcer said "Zacky" Merrett is dominating it was time for me to leave.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deleted

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I was more concerned with his reading of the play ... knowing where to lead, and how to assist Naughton.
    Marra has a laconic way about him which can be deceptive as it can appear he is not going full tilt.

20. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Im guessing Schache will play forward when the real stuff starts?
    I think with Bruce out and Keath and O'Brien coming into the backline Schache should be moved forward too as we are lacking another tall forward.