Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  163
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practise Matches - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Maybe his kicking was just really bad and he literally hit the scoreboard?
    David Rodan in Darwin likes this
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't often go to the pre-season games (I did last year v Melbourne as it was the first game we were allowed to attend in 18 months), but I do like to see all the new shiny things - recruits, draftees, role changes, etc. They are unique games where you will see things you won't in regular AFL or VFL matches.
    I did enjoy going to Whitten Oval. Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying, I guess I can't get too enthused about it.

Looking like we are in good shape coming up to round 1, so could be another exciting season.

I also agree the club needs to do more with streaming games. I have asked the question on twitter, so see if they say anything.

One guy suggested could be a members only benefit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    David Rodan in Darwin likes this
    For those who missed it

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes jeemak, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more snippets

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Do you think the coaching staff's insistence that everything remain under lock and key is behind it?
    If it is a directive from Bevo, I would hope he gets over himself. We have a practice match and a pre-season game coming up over the next few weeks where more will be revealed anyway and let’s be honest, what would we be trialling that is so innovative that we would need to hide an intra-club hit out?

Most of us just want something to get excited about beyond these low effort 1-2 minute clips. After 2 years of barely being able to attend games, our club continues to treat its paying members like mugs compared to others around the league.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Matches - 2022

Completely with you Comrade.

The club has improved (VFL reports were much better last year) but still has so much room for improvement. The little packages they put together now are very sleek, but bizarrely it continues to be the cheapest and easiest stuff to implement that they fail to do. A tripod camera overlooking the field would be sufficient for half of this training stuff, and just letting people in is even easier. As if the opposition scouts don't figure this shit out anyway.

And again the tiniest effort could go into a quick write up of stuff like how the draftees are going, what positions we are looking to try players in etc.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Truth be known, I don't care whether I see an intra club, or practice match.

The real stuff is when I passionately care - bring on Round 1 in 27 days.

I remember going once in the early 2000 to watch us play Carlton at Docklands, and the Carlton fans in front of me jumping up and down and high fiving goals. The was the last one I went to there.

I did go to Whitten Oval and saw Libba do his knee, but haven't been to any since.
    One of the most disgusting examples I've seen of the Essendon crowd, and they are disgusting all the time, is when they rolled us by a point in a preseason game at Docklands in 2009.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Truth be known, I don't care whether I see an intra club, or practice match.

The real stuff is when I passionately care - bring on Round 1 in 27 days.

I remember going once in the early 2000 to watch us play Carlton at Docklands, and the Carlton fans in front of me jumping up and down and high fiving goals. The was the last one I went to there.

I did go to Whitten Oval and saw Libba do his knee, but haven't been to any since.
    To me it was a great bridge between the previous season and the next and I used to live for training sessions, intra club and pre-season games prior to covid and Bevo limiting many of the sessions for the fans.
    I found it a great addition to the season ahead and in no way did it diminish my passion for round one and beyond.
    If supporters and fans just want to see the players from the start of the season to the end as you seem to prefer then good luck to you all but I really want to see a lot more of the club than what I have been.

The club should be duty bound to explore a greater access to these sessions for the fans that want to see more.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Matches - 2022

I think I put more emphasis on the preseason when we're at the bottom of the cycle or rebuilding. Then (to me anyway) there's more interest in up and coming players and trying to find where the green shoots might be. When we're at the point of the cycle we seem to be now, what I'm wanting to see is the weaknesses that let us down when the whips were cracking improved upon and you can only really get that in high pressure situations.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who missed it

This is awesome, thanks for the reminder! I just love how much of a space cadet/ confused in that moment he had to be to do that.

He seems like one of the good guys, David Rodan. However, Ch7 commentators adore him so he's probably shady as *!*!*!*!.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The club should be duty bound to explore a greater access to these sessions for the fans that want to see more.
    Two open training sessions, plus two practice matches is pretty good preseason access for fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Two open training sessions, plus two practice matches is pretty good preseason access for fans.
    The open training sessions are horrible, run a couple of laps then play games generally.

I am ok with Bevo being secretive, at the very least it creates a feeling with the players that we are training in a way that creates an advantage. I just think we can do that and still be respectful of fans, give us some highlights that are not witches hats and stationary balls. Put the coaches up more often and give some context or give us a run down of match sim. This week has actually been ok, unfortunately the pre season is now over though.

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    The open training sessions are horrible, run a couple of laps then play games generally.

I am ok with Bevo being secretive, at the very least it creates a feeling with the players that we are training in a way that creates an advantage. I just think we can do that and still be respectful of fans, give us some highlights that are not witches hats and stationary balls. Put the coaches up more often and give some context or give us a run down of match sim. This week has actually been ok, unfortunately the pre season is now over though.
    I think there is plenty for the fans to see, especially with the two practice games coming.

Bevo will be addressing the supporters at the next Open training (Feb 26).

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is plenty for the fans to see, especially with the two practice games coming.

Bevo will be addressing the supporters at the next Open training (Feb 26).
    Which means the first time we get decent content is when the matches start, thats not good enough. We are ranked 18th for football content (insight not fluff) from what I can see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Which means the first time we get decent content is when the matches start, thats not good enough. We are ranked 18th for football content (insight not fluff) from what I can see.
    Does it really make a difference if you missed a training session here and there?

I am happy for Bevo to practice his game plan without prying eyes.