Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  163
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practise Matches - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Does it really make a difference if you missed a training session here and there?
    Is not the exact point everyone is making that it would be nice to catch a training session here and there?

There was a training report in here like a month ago and it was easily the most exciting and interesting post of the entire off season. What are forums like this for in the off season if not to jump to conclusions and get overly excited about glimpses they have seen or heard about from training? That one intraclub Liam Jones dominated must have generated about 20 pages worth of content and hype.
    Last edited by soupman; 18-02-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Is not the exact point everyone is making that it would be nice to catch a training session here and there?

There was a training report in here like a month ago and it was easily the most exciting and interesting post of the entire off season. What are forums like this for in the off season if not to jump to conclusions and get overly excited about glimpses they have seen or heard about from training? That one intraclub Liam Jones dominated must have generated about 20 pages worth of content and hype.
    Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK but we used to have a heap of reports from people on training sessions, East Meets West sessions and additional functions at the club and they keep getting shut down.
    Even people having some lunch in the Barkers cafe might have the blinds drawn on them.
    I think there is an opportunity for significantly more fan engagement by the club and I'm surprised we are controlling it in the manner we are.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK but we used to have a heap of reports from people on training sessions, East Meets West sessions and additional functions at the club and they keep getting shut down.
    Even people having some lunch in the Barkers cafe might have the blinds drawn on them.
    I think there is an opportunity for significantly more fan engagement by the club and I'm surprised we are controlling it in the manner we are.
    Let's face it, we're probably not going back to the level of actual fan engagement we used to get. AFL is probably better and more localised than a lot of international sports, plus the membership model means that teams need to keep connection with fans in a way that ownership model sports don't as much. But I think there'll be an increasing trend towards trying to monetise fan experiences or using them as PR opportunities rather than actual interest in giving fans genuine opportunities to feel involved with the club or players.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it really make a difference if you missed a training session here and there?

I am happy for Bevo to practice his game plan without prying eyes.
    it isn’t here and there, for footy heads it’s a complete absence of information. We can give more than we are without giving away any secrets.

Putting aside the fact that members deserve more it’s an opportunity missed. The training report I shared recently popped up all over my Facebook feed in different groups as did other reports I have seen. That shows there is an enormous appetite for it, people love to know about tactical changes, positional tweaks and anything else they can get their hands on during December-February.

8. Likes azabob, josie, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, it's all very well to tow the club line that everything the club is doing is OK
    Come on - no one is toeing the club line.

Do you think other clubs do more than we do - very few do
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on - no one is toeing the club line.

I have to be honest I couldn't really care less about fan engagement if it means we are concentrating on the core business of winning games and building a successful culture on and off the field.

I'm personally happy with the content we get, I'm a member of an A-League team and I have to say I find their social media a bit cringe and over the top always trying to be funny.

But I guess I'm not the core demographic !

11. Likes bornadog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I have to be honest I couldn't really care less about fan engagement if it means we are concentrating on the core business of winning games and building a successful culture on and off the field.

I'm personally happy with the content we get, I'm a member of an A-League team and I have to say I find their social media a bit cringe and over the top always trying to be funny.

But I guess I'm not the core demographic !
    Why shouldn’t we expect both?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats irrelevant though.

If there is something to do that is great for the supporters, super easy to implement and is basically a win for all involved why should we not do it? Regardless of whether or not every other club is doing it?

Also the clubs that do it we have specifically said do a great job of it. I can tell you now the Essendon forum very much enjoyed watching their stream.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't know if this is a hill to die on BAD. We should be aspiring to be the best we can be at keeping sticky to our supporter base to retain and attract members. If making supporters and members alike feel more engaged does that, at marginal cost, then it's a no brainer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Vred, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah I don't know if this is a hill to die on BAD. We should be aspiring to be the best we can be at keeping sticky to our supporter base to retain and attract members. If making supporters and members alike feel more engaged does that, at marginal cost, then it's a no brainer.

I'm currently sitting here watching the entire intraclub match that Essendon just had... Yet I'm lucky to get a 10 second video and write up of our intraclub... I do feel fan engagement has been on a steady decrease for awhile now, not to mention membership perks compared to other clubs are.. questionable at best.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Matches - 2022

I follow all of the clubs socials and get out to watch training for quite a few clubs. There is no doubt we are behind them all when it comes to serious footy content and supporter access to training.

18. Likes Vred, GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I follow all of the clubs socials and get out to watch training for quite a few clubs. There is no doubt we are behind them all when it comes to serious footy content and supporter access to training.
    I guess we all have our own needs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I agree, it could also be a point of difference we can provide our members especially in the off season.
    We all remember the problems the club has experienced in terms of financial struggles so it's not like they need to throw a lot of money at it as the supporters will understand that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'm currently sitting here watching the entire intraclub match that Essendon just had... Yet I'm lucky to get a 10 second video and write up of our intraclub... I do feel fan engagement has been on a steady decrease for awhile now, not to mention membership perks compared to other clubs are.. questionable at best.
    Not sure we can compare the way they run things with the way we do.

Are we really that bad, I have to be honest outside of a few on here I've heard nothing of this anywhere else and it's never a topic anyone in my peer group ever entertains.

Having said that I admit I'm certainly not the best person to speak to this as I seriously don't understand the brief.

One thing I know for sure is that we run things better than Essendon does! (apart from the spongey floors)
    Maybe I'm too easily pleased xD

22. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Membership department got back to me today and said my membership hasn't been renewed I thought Bulldog for life means they keep taking payments until I say stop which has happened for the last few years.
    Now they are contacting me on Monday to discuss my options. Not happy Jan.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...