Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Are we f****en fair dinkum’ (Simon Goodwin rant)

Quite a bit coming out about Goodwin and his rants last year. Saved himself with a premiership, but has anyone ever rated this guy?

Melbourne premiership coach Simon Goodwin has come under more heat following revelations of an expletive-laden rant towards former club doctor Zeeshan Arain over the medico’s advice to rest Angus Brayshaw due to concussion symptoms.

According to a report from the Herald Sun Wednesday, alleged legal documents from Arain’s lawyers revealed Goodwin lashed out at Arain during the 2020 season to pressure him to allow Brayshaw to play.

The letter cited “unreasonable behaviour” from the Demons boss, stating “one player had suffered a concussion and a plan was devised for his recovery including rest”.“Are we f****en fair dinkum,” Goodwin allegedly said to Arain.

“Why the f*** would you change the plan when we agreed he could push through his comfort zone. F***ing (player’s name) was at Chadstone with his mates last Thursday but is f***en concussed today.” link
    and:

Embarrassing, but success covers the cracks for Simon Goodwin
    By Jake Niall

That the Melbourne Football Club’s hierarchy conversed with the AFL over concern about Simon Goodwin’s alleged behaviours, including a bullying claim by a since-departed doctor, represents an embarrassment for the coach and the Demons, who had spent four months basking in the glow of a storied premiership.

Goodwin is fortunate that the dirty linen and internal division has been aired after the season rather than February or March 2021. Would he be a premiership coach if this had come to light last pre-season? The same blessed timing applies to the club administration and board.

Coaching legend Allan Jeans liked to say that success was like wallpaper at footy clubs: there were always cracks, but success papered over them.

In Goodwin’s case, the major crack of division was removed in April of last year, when the board ousted then president Glen Bartlett, who had questioned Goodwin publicly in 2020 and who clearly nursed doubts about whether the coach was the man to deliver the grail.

Today, Bartlett is very much on the outer at the Demons, and Goodwin – whom the previous president had questioned in public – is safe as houses. External embarrassment has not dented the internal view of the coach, who has gone from the edge of the cliff to a place in the red-and-blue pantheon: he is the only living premiership-winning coach of the code’s oldest club.

Goodwin’s management has been in talks over a new contract and the expectation is that he will be given three years minimum. A three or four-year deal would hardly surprise considering the flag, the near-unconditional backing of the playing group and the reality that the Demons are as well-placed for multiple premierships as Richmond were in October 2017.

Numerous football industry insiders agreed that the coach had suffered from his past reputation as a “lad” whose hard training was matched by a sizeable hedonist streak.

It is remarkable that the Demons managed to win a flag in barnstorming style only months after such misgivings or doubts about their coach, who then was perceived – wrongly, it turned out – to be closer to walking the plank than Nathan Buckley or David Teague.

The Demons were seen – rightly, it turned out – to be a team that had grossly underachieved in 2019 and 2020, and this, more than any of Goodwin’s conduct, was the reason he was in the sights of Bartlett with his position very much on the line.

While Bartlett’s removal as president wasn’t entirely about his vexed relationship with Goodwin, this was certainly a major factor.

On Tuesday, this column was told that Bartlett had acted independently of the club board in meeting AFL bosses Gillon McLachlan and Richard Goyder to discuss the sensitive topic of Goodwin’s alleged behaviour.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘Are we f****en fair dinkum’ (Simon Goodwin rant)

I was going to post this yesterday but it's something many people will alter their views on given the success achieved.
    Does the end result cancel the poor behavior in the eyes of many? To me, absolutely not but many supporters can become club blind.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to post this yesterday but the website wouldn't let me - Melbourne conspiracy I say. They sacked those who stood up against Goodwin and they are trying to silence us all!

Seriously though he will get away with it because they won they flag. If they had have had another disappointing season it would probably be a different story.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I tried to post this yesterday but the website wouldn't let me - Melbourne conspiracy I say. They sacked those who stood up against Goodwin and they are trying to silence us all!

Seriously though he will get away with it because they won they flag. If they had have had another disappointing season it would probably be a different story.
    I think the way it's been presented Melbourne will need to make some changes to the structures to minimise something like this happening again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't all coaches slightly crazy and intense. Kind of walking that line? Hardwick, Malthouse, Thompson, Bevo even they're all slightly mad xD
    I don't think much about this. Internal issue.

7. Likes Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Aren't all coaches slightly crazy and intense. Kind of walking that line? Hardwick, Malthouse, Thompson, Bevo even they're all slightly mad xD
    I don't think much about this. Internal issue.
    You wouldn't be concerned if Gary Zimmerman raised concerns with Bevo's behavior and he was promptly sacked?

Of course we don't have all the information but the club's internal processes look horrible on face value.

9. Likes Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate Goodwin. I think their success last year was largely player driven, and he was fortunate to have Williams, Richardson and Yze in the staff.

I don't have an issue with him having a beer with the team though.

11. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I don't rate Goodwin. I think their success last year was largely player driven, and he was fortunate to have Williams, Richardson and Yze in the staff.

Yep 100% agree with your assessment of Goodwin.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You wouldn't be concerned if Gary Zimmerman raised concerns with Bevo's behavior and he was promptly sacked?

Of course we don't have all the information but the club's internal processes look horrible on face value.
    I would yes for sure if it was that reason he was sacked. Goodwin was part of the Hird mess so I've got not time for him really.

It's more the outrage I was commenting on, I think everything is magnified these days when it's probably just a part of high intensity workplaces.

Conduct needs to be better than that for sure, but it happens and then it's dealt with. Goodwin sounded like he was on thin ice.

Winning though

Post Thanks / Like

You hit the nail on the head. Especially Williams who was a big influence in last years premiership win and helped hide Goodwin's lack of ability as a coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally don't see it as a huge story but facts are pretty thin and I also hope it somehow derails them this season.

Damn I wish we'd won that GF. It bloody sucks!

Post Thanks / Like

Would have preferred this to have all come out at round 3 last year rather than now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate Goodwin.
    Agreed. Everyone knows their 2021 was all down to the earlier efforts of Paul Roos.*

* In the mind of Paul Roos and parts of the media.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Would have preferred this to have all come out at round 3 last year rather than now.
    Yep, extremely good management by the Melbourne Football Club.

Hopefully if helps add to their downfall this year.....that I'm hoping for but not confident will happen.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Agreed. Everyone knows their 2021 was all down to the earlier efforts of Paul Roos.*

* In the mind of Paul Roos and parts of the media.
    Terrific post - The Roosy ego knows no boundaries

21. Likes Dry Rot liked this post