Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh - 2022 edition

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Yeah, this isn't a referendum on Bailey. He's been everything we could have asked for and more. Just because Walsh is unbelievable at this point, doesn't mean Smith hasn't been brilliant. The fact is, we were never getting the best player in the draft, but we sure as hell got the best player we could have at that pick (in my opinion)
    If Smith ends up being regarded as the 2nd, 3rd of 4th best in that draft it's still very high praise.

I like the explosive and burst pace that Smith brings us. In a team that isn't overly quick that is his real point of difference.
    If we can get him and Treloar firing this year we are going to be hard to match in the midfield.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If Smith ends up being regarded as the 2nd, 3rd of 4th best in that draft it's still very high praise.

I like the explosive and burst pace that Smith brings us. In a team that isn't overly quick that is his real point of difference.
    If we can get him and Treloar firing this year we are going to be hard to match in the midfield.
    Yep. He brings an element to our midfield that we’re short of, so is possibly more valuable to us on that sense than Walsh would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Yep, Smith has been an outstanding get for us at 7, but Walsh is a better player and barring injury, already looks an absolutely elite footballer with a very high ceiling.
    When Walsh kicks two goals - one on his left and one on his right - in the last 5 minutes of a cut throat prelim final, well, when he does that I’ll maybe agree with you. Getting 35 possessions in games that don’t matter doesn’t impress me all that much. It might not be his fault (I grant you that) but we know one of them has the fight and skill to make a difference when it matters...the other one? We can only guess.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot, SquirrelGrip, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    When Walsh kicks two goals - one on his left and one on his right - in the last 5 minutes of a cut throat prelim final, well, when he does that I’ll maybe agree with you. Getting 35 possessions in games that don’t matter doesn’t impress me all that much. It might not be his fault (I grant you that) but we know one of them has the fight and skill to make a difference when it matters...the other one? We can only guess.
    Yeah, not quite sure re gushing over Walsh. He’s a good player no doubt but there are better midfielders at most clubs and Smith has demonstrated he’s a big time big game player capable of kicking multiple goals.

Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of where I was going with my post. They have had different opportunities throughout their careers, through no fault of their own and what we've seen is Walsh using his as well as he possibly could and Smith doing the same.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yeah, not quite sure re gushing over Walsh. He’s a good player no doubt but there are better midfielders at most clubs and Smith has demonstrated he’s a big time big game player capable of kicking multiple goals.
    I have very little doubt in my mind that Walsh could be a player who grabs an important final by the throat, dominate the middle and contribute on the scoreboard.

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's kind of where I was going with my post. They have had different opportunities throughout their careers, through no fault of their own and what we've seen is Walsh using his as well as he possibly could and Smith doing the same.
    I guess that's an age old argument, exposure to finals etc the old Grant v Hird. Being in a good v bad side.

Grant doesn't get the same recognition because he didn't get the opportunity at the pointy end.

Maybe Walsh will never play in a GF or do what Bailey did so I'm not sure it's the best gauge of their comparative ability.

I get the argument for Bailey though, and comparing players is fun but sometimes it's ok to realise they're both bloody good! xD

Post Thanks / Like

He came fourth in the Brownlow, won Carlton's B and F, was All Australian and 6th in the coaches award last season.

Kind of gushable for a third year player

Post Thanks / Like

So we are prepared to throw aside Walsh's achievements because his team hasn't played finals?
    4th in last season Brownlow was an incredible achievement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He came fourth in the Brownlow, won Carlton's B and F, was All Australian and 6th in the coaches award last season.

Kind of gushable for a third year player
    Yeah the only player better than Walsh on our list imo is the Bont. He is a super footballer.

I remember a few on here wanted Smith dropped and traded during last season.
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes Grantysghost, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yeah the only player better than Walsh on our list imo is the Bont. He is a super footballer.

I remember a few on here wanted Smith dropped and traded during last season.
    I’m still open to offers.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes Grantysghost, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's an age old argument, exposure to finals etc the old Grant v Hird. Being in a good v bad side.

Grant doesn't get the same recognition because he didn't get the opportunity at the pointy end.

Maybe Walsh will never play in a GF or do what Bailey did so I'm not sure it's the best gauge of their comparative ability.

I get the argument for Bailey though, and comparing players is fun but sometimes it's ok to realise they're both bloody good! xD
    Well - Chris Grant DID play and play well in finals. Perhaps if 97 or 98 had gone the way we all hoped history would look upon him differently.

The thing about being 'good' in a bad side is that everyone is judging you on a totally different scale. If Walsh (and I like him so this is just an example) gets 35 and kicks 3 AND his opponent gets 28 and kicks 2...but Carlton lose by 6 goals, well, to everyone watching he is clear BOG (or at least BOG for Carlton). Players in winning teams are simply held to a higher standard and if the outcome is not 4-points then everyone comes for you.

We all used to get upset when Scott West was dismissed by opposition supporters as an 'accumulator who didn't hurt you' - we would point to his numbers as representative of 'how good' he was.

Reality? Everyone was right. West WAS a good player. And no doubt he chased stats (and we celebrated them) because if you aren't winning flags you have to prove you are a good player via other means.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well - Chris Grant DID play and play well in finals. Perhaps if 97 or 98 had gone the way we all hoped history would look upon him differently.

The thing about being 'good' in a bad side is that everyone is judging you on a totally different scale. If Walsh (and I like him so this is just an example) gets 35 and kicks 3 AND his opponent gets 28 and kicks 2...but Carlton lose by 6 goals, well, to everyone watching he is clear BOG (or at least BOG for Carlton). Players in winning teams are simply held to a higher standard and if the outcome is not 4-points then everyone comes for you.

We all used to get upset when Scott West was dismissed by opposition supporters as an 'accumulator who didn't hurt you' - we would point to his numbers as representative of 'how good' he was.

Reality? Everyone was right. West WAS a good player. And no doubt he chased stats (and we celebrated them) because if you aren't winning flags you have to prove you are a good player via other means.
    I always recall that last game of 96 - I believe it was the year of the dog third act where the Dons beat us by a kick? (Mercuri?) Hird has like 30 possessions, Grant 25 2 goals. Hird gets the 3 Brownlow votes, Grant 2 and he wins with Voss by 1.

Grant is criminally under rated historically.

20. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always recall that last game of 96 - I believe it was the year of the dog third act where the Dons beat us by a kick? (Mercuri?) Hird has like 30 possessions, Grant 25 2 goals. Hird gets the 3 Brownlow votes, Grant 2 and he wins with Voss by 1.

Grant is criminally under rated historically.
    I think they played on each other at different times when Hird was resting forward as well.

22. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I’m still open to offers.
    Comrade is hosting a new footy game show called "Lets make a deal"

It would have to be a great deal for me to pull the trigger on a trade.