Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “too big a penalty”: 50-metre chaos reigns in first sign of umpire abuse crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The sooking at the umpires has been out of control.

I 100% hate the NBA and pretty much all major soccer competitions for not sorting this out...it is a blight on the game. The whistle blows? Look at which way he points his arm and run in the OTHER direction.

Honestly. Some of the carry on last year in particular was embarrasing.

As for Petracca - not only does he complain to the umpires, he actually uses the hand signals for 'Holding the Ball' frequently during a game...you're not the umpire mate.

Sure - I've nothing against a "Can't you see he's holding me" during a stoppage etc, but Gawn mouthing off as he ran off the field after Fisher had taken what is commonly referred too as "an uncontested mark" inside 50m does no-one any favours. And if you think juniors don't pick up on this stuff, well, they 100% do...
    It's almost as if the Melbourne players are *!*!*!*!wits or something.....
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: “too big a penalty”: 50-metre chaos reigns in first sign of umpire abuse crackdown

So, my brother and I were talking about this and I suggested the interpretation of the dissent rule was implemented poorly and that the AFL couldn't possibly be wanting to go as hard as they have been. My reasoning being is that they always *!*!*!*! up the implementation of rules by going hard and normalising after backlash, which is a blunt instrument approach to process changes and inefficient overall.

As it happens I was part correct. They did implement poorly, but apparently because they've not gone hard enough on game day with the dissent rule!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...19-p5aeky.html

I won't post the justifications, but long story short, any dissent is now unacceptable. It's all out, even pointing to the scoreboard to show how a decision was wrong. Yay!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So, my brother and I were talking about this and I suggested the interpretation of the dissent rule was implemented poorly and that the AFL couldn't possibly be wanting to go as hard as they have been. My reasoning being is that they always *!*!*!*! up the implementation of rules by going hard and normalising after backlash, which is a blunt instrument approach to process changes and inefficient overall.

As it happens I was part correct. They did implement poorly, but apparently because they've not gone hard enough on game day with the dissent rule!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...19-p5aeky.html

I won't post the justifications, but long story short, any dissent is now unacceptable. It's all out, even pointing to the scoreboard to show how a decision was wrong. Yay!
    What if you think it?

Being a thought criminal.. That's 50.

Post Thanks / Like

Dissent rule is another stupid rule introduced by AFL
    Players are pumped up on adrenaline and they are asked to respect umpires decisions . Holding your arms out to ask why a free was awarded will now cop a 50 m penalty. You can’t ask players to refrain their body language when the game is one and they just applied a tackle or some sort of collisions

Another wonderful stupid rule By AFL , they A now represents awful in my opinion

Yeah sure make players respect umpires but these type of rules is just going to players hate them more and add to subjectivity of rule interpretation , especially when umpires. Reward frees incorrectly
    Isn’t it enough to have the do not abuse umpire rule?
    Example : round 4. Cats vs Lions . Hawkins pushes Harris In the back when Harris is in front , and Hawkins gets awarded the free . Any sane person would holding his arm out and ask why . The game was on and it was a crucial moment in the game which swing moment the Cats way at their fortress

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Players are pumped up on adrenaline and they are asked to respect umpires decisions . Holding your arms out to ask why a free was awarded will now cop a 50 m penalty. You can’t ask players to refrain their body language when the game is one and they just applied a tackle or some sort of collisions

Another wonderful stupid rule By AFL , they A now represents awful in my opinion

Yeah sure make players respect umpires but these type of rules is just going to players hate them more and add to subjectivity of rule interpretation , especially when umpires. Reward frees incorrectly
    Example : round 4. Cats vs Lions . Hawkins pushes Harris In the back when Harris is in front , and Hawkins gets awarded the free . Any sane person would holding his arm out and ask why . The game was on and it was a crucial moment in the game which swing moment the Cats way at their fortress
    Players should now just accept the decision and runoff or stand on the mark.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Players should now just accept the decision and runoff or stand on the mark.
    I am going to start counting in games the number of times players put their hands on the cheeks to HIDE their frustration

The AFL will probable create another dissent part B rule for that , it will be you cannot pretend to cry rule

The game is starting to become unwatchable

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to start counting in games the number of times players put their hands on the cheeks to HIDE their frustration

The AFL will probable create another dissent part B rule for that , it will be you cannot pretend to cry rule

The game is starting to become unwatchable
    I have been saying for years, they expect players to be Robots.

When Richmond got those two goals against us for moving on the mark, that killed the game for me. Changed momentum, and I just thought we were done. Like you it is hard to watch sometimes.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes macca, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have been saying for years, they expect players to be Robots.

When Richmond got those two goals against us for moving on the mark, that killed the game for me. Changed momentum, and I just thought we were done. Like you it is hard to watch sometimes.
    Great point on AFL expecting players to become like robots ,stupid cloud 9 expectation

The sad thing I see now is the contests in marks and contested possession is being destroyed by dumb rules , which leads to misinterpreted umpire decisions

Like you said , it swings the game momentum

I really wanted us to kick a few more goals against the tigers to stay in the contest

Hawkins given 2 dubious free kicks in round 4 , killed the Lions chances

Post Thanks / Like

This is the sort of rule that smacks of unfairness, and will turn people off AFL.
    How would it survive in soccer? An international sport?
    If there are 60,000 places short in umpiring nation wide, maybe it's time to start paying them.

And what I find hilarious is now it's Scott on the committee making these rules. He was the king of demonstrative sprays and shouting, getting uptight about umpiring decisions as a player and as a coach.

If anyone hasn't noticed, people play sport to express themselves and to stop us from killing each other.
    I could accept a yellow card system. Warn the player that they are on notice. People like Sicily need this. Pull your head in.
    A fair warning is, well.....fair.

It's an act that does not impact the game, but the punishment does.
    Yes umpires need more support but this sort of rule will actually mean more vitriol.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Make it a fine?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Hilarious Gallery on youtube: A history of Bulldog Dissent

The first frame captures it all.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Likes bornadog, macca, Eastdog, Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclusive footage of the players training not to give away any arms out 50s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

I love how Dougie managed to appear in almost every one even when he wasn't involved in the play!

16. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I love how Dougie managed to appear in almost every one even when he wasn't involved in the play!
    Haha gold...

Some good commentary by Cometti. Foster is telling the umpire he took two marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Very funny and way over the top - loved Dougie