Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “too big a penalty”: 50-metre chaos reigns in first sign of umpire abuse crackdown

Doug Hawkins. Too funny. My childhood hero. What a legend. When players were real characters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: “too big a penalty”: 50-metre chaos reigns in first sign of umpire abuse crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I love how Dougie managed to appear in almost every one even when he wasn't involved in the play!
    Explains wht Dougie never won a Brownlow
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy dumb rule. Who's next the coaches then supporters? So ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Crazy dumb rule. Who's next the coaches then supporters? So ridiculous.
    Coaches and officials are already covered by the dissent rule and I don't have a problem with that. The players are playing a brutal game though and need to be cut some slack to respectfully question umpires and feel exasperation at times, that is not dissent.

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution (?) to whatever he believes the issue here to be on Footy Classified, which once again has me assuming this is less a real issue and more a content mine because no coach has been sacked yet and Essendon are shit.

The only real solution is to pay them more, which is the way that every other industry in the entire world attracts people to undesirable jobs.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes Ghost Dog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution (?) to whatever he believes the issue here to be on Footy Classified, which once again has me assuming this is less a real issue and more a content mine because no coach has been sacked yet and Essendon are shit.

The only real solution is to pay them more, which is the way that every other industry in the entire world attracts people to undesirable jobs.
    Absolutely. I read at junior level it's 25-50 bucks for a game or something like that. Whatever it is, should be increased.
    Bullying should be treated like any other workplace. If someone is demonstrative in the extreme, they get a warning.
    If the player can't control themselves they should turn away from the umpire, or maintain some distance.
    Poor language towards umpires, again, like any other workplace.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches and officials are already covered by the dissent rule and I don't have a problem with that. The players are playing a brutal game though and need to be cut some slack to respectfully question umpires and feel exasperation at times, that is not dissent.
    I was joking in my post however it will be interesting to see how many coaches throw their arms out when a free is given against their team. Chris Scott is a monty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Eddie McGuire just gave a completely unhinged 15 point solution
    It is left-field but a number of the points he raised have merit.

The new dissent rule is akin to cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. The AFEL have absolutely no nuance or feel for common sense.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on its so dystopian I'm at a loss to understand the logic.
    You can be annoyed, exasperated, flummoxed, perplexed, straight up pissed at a decision and show emotion surely.

Psychologists will tell you there's an emotion - >behaviour pathway, as long as that behaviour is within reason it shouldn't be punished.

Holding out your arms in a questioning fashion is not unacceptable behaviour in any civilised society.

What are they smoking?
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 21-04-2022 at 04:16 PM.

12. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    You can be annoyed, exasperated, flummoxed, perplexed, straight up pissed at a decision and show emotion surely.

Psychologists will tell you there's an emotion - >behaviour pathway, as long as that behaviour is within reason it shouldn't be punished.

Holding out your arms in a questioning fashion is not unacceptable behaviour in any civilised society.

What are they smoking?
    When you put it like that, it is really embarrassing. It makes the AFL look like a nanny state.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    When you put it like that, it is really embarrassing. It makes the AFL look like a nanny state.
    AFL have lost the plot
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes macca, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are they smoking?
    I know that this is shifting the narrative a bit, but if the AFL really wanted to change something that just looks terrible, how about they stop the players spitting every three seconds?

Maybe I'm an old man with an onion tied to my belt yelling at clouds, but to me that's the most vile thing and just looks awful.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

What are they smoking?
    I'm forever holding out my arms in a questioning fashion when arguing with my six year old, thank god we're not on a footy field together...
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

18. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    I'm forever holding out my arms in a questioning fashion when arguing with my six year old, thank god we're not on a footy field together...
    Does she give it back to you
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Is she giving you the dissent card ?