Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge asks footy world to be patient with Ugle-Hagan

link

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge wants the football world to give Jamarra Ugle-Hagan space to develop as he weighs up whether to bring the 2020 first pick into the forward line for round one.

With Josh Bruce still recovering from a knee reconstruction and Tim English needed in the ruck, Beveridge says he is looking at other alternatives and can’t be sure Ugle-Hagan or father-son draftee Sam Darcy can help much this season as both are still developing.

It’s clear Aaron Naughton is the centre-piece of their forward line and will have the opposition defences tightly watching him, so others need to step up and that is what Beveridge is focused on after watching his side struggle to turn opportunities into goals during the preseason.

Beveridge said his forward line was not “efficient” in the last two preseason games including their six-point loss to Brisbane Lions on Friday night.

“We need Tim to play in the ruck. Marra is not quite ready and we probably need you all to ride that out and help him,” Beveridge said.

“It will take some time, young key forwards take time to get used to the cut and thrust of AFL footy.

“I’m not sure how much AFL footy he is going to play this year but we want to play him as much as possible. It takes time. Sam Darcy will take time as he hasn’t trained with the main group.

“With the injuries, it puts a bit of strain on our key posts so we might have to do it a bit differently for a while and we have to take up that challenge.

“Tonight the guys made a fist of the aerial game when the opposition was clearly a lot taller than us.”

Beveridge said he hadn’t had a chance to review the club’s VFL practice match against Werribee which saw Footscray lose by 41 points as it was also on Friday night.

“I haven’t tapped into how our Footscray side did against Werribee tonight but I’m hoping Marra [Ugle-Hagan] did well,” Beveridge said.

“There will be a couple of lads on the selection table.”

He added that some of the commentary on last year’s finals series lacked proper analysis as the team had to use English as a forward after Bruce was forced out for the season.

“Brucey’s situation has caused some headaches but I think some of the commentary and lack of analysis as to why Tim ended up out of the ruck last year isn’t ideal,” Beveridge said.

“If we had all done our homework, it was pretty plain to see we needed a key forward and we had to rob Peter to pay Paul.

“In the finals series, Tim was a 50-50 ruck-forward and he really helped us win the game [preliminary final] against Brisbane after it had gone south with the makeshift ruck situation.”

Zaine Cordy started as a forward against the Lions on Friday night but was needed in defence when Alex Keath went off after a painful kick to the shin, leaving a number of smaller forwards trying to help Naughton.

“The last two games we have had over 130 inside 50s, we just haven’t been efficient,” Beveridge said.

“Our quality of ball use and chemistry with our connection isn’t there. There are lads who are emerging who haven’t played a lot of footy at this level and they had a bit of the ball tonight.

“Cody [Weightman], Vanders [Laitham Vandermeer] and I thought JJ [Jason Johannisen] was pretty good. Naughts was a lone hand, our key position stocks have been strained at little bit with injuries so we have to do things a little differently.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge asks footy world to be patient with Ugle-Hagan

Anyone else find the line "our key position stocks are a bit thin" a bit hard to swallow on the eve of the FIRST game?

I'm not sure why they are so thin.

Bruce I get.

Keath and Gardner niggles really.

O'Brien a low grade hammy.

I'm just perplexed with our constant injury issues. We haven't even played a game in earnest and we are "thin" due to injury in a crucial area.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's luck, but we do seem to get a lot of the bad version.

/rant.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Jamarra he played 1 practise game and he wasn't great (AFL) why even mention him already.

He'll get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Anyone else find the line "our key position stocks are a bit thin" a bit hard to swallow on the eve of the FIRST game?

I'm not sure why they are so thin.
    It's just a couple of minor injuries so we should have the coverage.
    We already knew Bruce wasn't going to be available for the majority of the season so no surprise there.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's just Bevo playing the media. Our key position stocks are exactly as they were when we did Essendon, Brisbane and Port, and led Melbourne through the third quarter in four consecutive finals.

And if you go back to the presser, it was a reasonable comment that didn't really command any news space....but that's the plan I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's just a couple of minor injuries so we should have the coverage.
    We already knew Bruce wasn't going to be available for the majority of the season so no surprise there.
    That's why I didn't really understand the comment. What's the play?
    It's not like he's fooling anyone.
    Bevo mind games already? That only he understands xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's just Bevo playing the media. Our key position stocks are exactly as they were when we did Essendon, Brisbane and Port, and led Melbourne through the third quarter in four consecutive finals.

And if you go back to the presser, it was a reasonable comment that didn't really command any news space....but that's the plan I guess.
    Luke needs to get his act together and stop acting like a teenager, I'm going to call the club!

:- My 85 yr old Mum re his handle bars!

10. Likes Twodogs, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I didn't really understand the comment. What's the play?
    It's not like he's fooling anyone.
    Bevo mind games already? That only he understands xD
    But if you look back it's probably as close to a carbon copy of what he was saying last year after we lost Bruce or weren't playing JUH anyway.

The big call out was the insight into why Lewie played in the ruck in a makeshift set up and English played forward. Whether you/ I or anyone agrees or otherwise this is probably where the major point of contention should be for the media.

But, being the idiots they are, they'll just continue to hammer the JUH, number one draft pick not getting a game bit and Bevo gave them enough information to look elsewhere knowing they won't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m concerned we still think JUH is so far off.

Talk all pre season was how hard he trained and how well he presented.

What has gone wrong here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I’m concerned we still think JUH is so far off.

Talk all pre season was how hard he trained and how well he presented.

What has gone wrong here?
    I think he is physically a long way off even given his pre-season.
    Some younger players take a lot of time to develop a senior football level type tank.
    JUH looks like he's still a way off being able to play 16 to 18 senior games this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he is physically a long way off even given his pre-season.
    Some younger players take a lot of time to develop a senior football level type tank.
    JUH looks like he's still a way off being able to play 16 to 18 senior games this season.
    It’s disappointing. I suppose the good news is he’s working hard, but keeping him engaged and focussed while not playing senior footy is going to become a challenge pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But if you look back it's probably as close to a carbon copy of what he was saying last year after we lost Bruce or weren't playing JUH anyway.

The big call out was the insight into why Lewie played in the ruck in a makeshift set up and English played forward. Whether you/ I or anyone agrees or otherwise this is probably where the major point of contention should be for the media.

But, being the idiots they are, they'll just continue to hammer the JUH, number one draft pick not getting a game bit and Bevo gave them enough information to look elsewhere knowing they won't.
    All he actually said was :

- He's not quite ready so be patient.
    - We want him to play as many games as possible.
    - Key position forwards take time.

Nothing ground breaking there. He did miss an entire developmental season.

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All he actually said was :

- He's not quite ready so be patient.
    - We want him to play as many games as possible.
    - Key position forwards take time.

Nothing ground breaking there. He did miss an entire developmental season.
    So reading between the lines is Bevo going to play him and he is going to be unproductive so cut him some slack.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    So reading between the lines is Bevo going to play him and he is going to be unproductive so cut him some slack.
    To be honest I think he will start in the VFL like last season until he shows some form.
    But... It's Bevo!

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I think he will start in the VFL like last season until he shows some form.
    But... It's Bevo!
    We certainly didn't rush him last year. He will balance things up between giving him enough chances but making sure he performs when he gets those chances. He will probably come in for 3 week blocks depending on his form.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post