Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  114
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R2 2022

Even though many supporters wanted change we won't fully know till the end of the year how much we miss the experience of King and Hansen from our coaching ranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Even though many supporters wanted change we won't fully know till the end of the year how much we miss the experience of King and Hansen from our coaching ranks.
    We let Hansen go when he had a contract, I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We let Hansen go when he had a contract, I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.
    Isn't that true of every assistant in the league? Does anyone get held to a contract? Would anyone want to hold them to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Isn't that true of every assistant in the league? Does anyone get held to a contract? Would anyone want to hold them to it?
    Just signed on as the senior assistant and leaves a couple of weeks later after we agreed for King to go. I would have held him to his deal and he would have adjusted to it.

We want players to see out their deals so I don't see why it's different for coaches unless it for a promotion to the senior coaching spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Just signed on as the senior assistant and leaves a couple of weeks later after we agreed for King to go. I would have held him to his deal and he would have adjusted to it.

We want players to see out their deals so I don't see why it's different for coaches unless it for a promotion to the senior coaching spot.
    A general statement cause I’m not sure who was for/against it at the time, but was anyone really upset? There’d been a desire for change for a while and the fwd and midfield portfolios were the two that most people had issues with the coaching of, weren’t they?

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm a little confused about is Bevo talking about the soft cap being an issue etc If you have a look at our coaching panel vs for say Sydney I'm not sure how it is an issue? I guess Sydney maybe paying over the cap? Hard to see how we would be considering the lack of experience we have.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d like to see us bring in some guys with more experience from a coaching perspective.

It’s no coincidence Melbournes rise and consistency coincided with Alan Richardson, Mark Williams, Adam Yze bringing their experience and applying it to the Demons.

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    What I'm a little confused about is Bevo talking about the soft cap being an issue etc If you have a look at our coaching panel vs for say Sydney I'm not sure how it is an issue? I guess Sydney maybe paying over the cap? Hard to see how we would be considering the lack of experience we have.
    I think you will find it's more about where you allocate the money and the resources. We might have more in the fitness, medical and sports science area's.
    Port's assistant coaches all took pay cuts last year to keep the group together.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find it's more about where you allocate the money and the resources. We might have more in the fitness, medical and sports science area's.
    Port's assistant coaches all took pay cuts last year to keep the group together.
    Yeah I understand its the whole football department but not sure where our point of difference is with out spend. Outside of Bevo its definitely not in the coaches box.

A really interestesting start to the year that's for sure I'm not sure there is too much depth in the top end teams wise so still have my hopes up but our young forward line has me worried. Normally after a preseason there are a few players/ Bevo's shiny new toys that are playing/ showing out but this year in the first 2 rounds outside of Naughty/Baz I'm not sure which player you could pin your hopes on taking the next step.

Before the season O'Brien and Richards were the two I thought could make an impact. The further Richards got up the ground on Thursday night the worse he looked(solid round 1) and O'Brien is a wait and see at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be an expectation with coaches that if they don't want to be there they don't have to be. I assume they probably have the ability to resign from their position as well. I'm not familiar with how AFL coach contracts are structured but if anyone knows it'd be great to get clarified.

Post Thanks / Like

There's one new face I want - Anthony Rocca.

He's the best goal-kicking coach in the comp. Just one summer of his work should help us immensely.

If I was to dream, Matty Boyd comes back. Hard arse who is well respected.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes GVGjr, CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a difference between wanting change and losing your two most experienced assistant coaches.
    Correct, or at least more in the manner we lost them.

I think I, like others here who wanted change to the coaching department, wanted us to identify we needed some fresh faces and proactively seek out those that addressed our weaknesses and would become assets. Instead we had our hand forced after most coaches had already committed to other roles, meaning we were picking reactively from a pool of coaches that weren't in the system, a "best of the rest" approach as such.

It may end up well, and it has given us the turnover I wanted, but I'm not sure the way it happened means we put ourselves in the best position to benefit from that turnover.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Round 2 votes AFL Coaches Association

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    6 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
    6 - Harry McKay (CARL)
    4 - George Hewett (CARL)
    2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
    1 - Bailey Dale (WB)
    1 - Jack Macrae (WB)

Leaderboard.

20 Patrick Cripps CARL