Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  92
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Adelaide Crows R6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than Dale, we are still lacking run off the backline. Richards needs to use his pace more and Williams is struggling at the moment. Duryea is a great kick but he doesn't run and bounce like say a Melbourne does. Caleb is more hit your targets (well most of the time) and get the ball going.

We have to find a way to launch quicker from the back half and catch the opposition backline out.
    I wonder if Treloar is that person? If you look around the league, half-backs are often the least accountable players on the field. He would fit that mould perfectly!

He provides pace, good foot skills and decision making.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I wonder if Treloar is that person? If you look around the league, half-backs are often the least accountable players on the field. He would fit that mould perfectly!

He provides pace, good foot skills and decision making.
    Not a bad suggestion? How good is his defensive skills?

I want to see Richards do more, he was very loose yesterday. We had McAdam, McHenry, Scholl running riot. McAdam had 7 marks and 2 goals and Scholl took 6 marks and they seemed to be on their own.

Yesterday wasn't about our KPP stock, as I thought the big guys all did well in the backline, it was the HBF that gone done.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our back half is a real problem. I've been a broken record in saying that we only really have 2 defenders who can actually defend - Keath and Duryea. They're also both near the end, and the reserve cupboard is non-existent for replacing them. I look at 2016 and even when we weren't playing well, the likes of Morris and Boyd could defend long enough to keep us in games. Last year, Duryea and Keath were those players for us but with their indifferent form and injury we're now all at sea.

I had high hopes for Richards but he has been bitterly disappointing. Dale is an AA HB and has got better defensively, but it's not his role. Daniel isn't a bad defender. Gardner has improved but yet still leaks some goals week to week. What happens when Keath/Duryea drop off or retire, which may be sooner than we think?

The truth is we have severe issues in every position of the ground. I think we could turn this around relatively quickly but it requires decisive management and I have no faith in our list management team to do it.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    We tried kicking long down the line to their extra defender on numerous occasions without success. What's the solution?
    When the switch is on, be decisive and hit it. Work hard to create it, but if it's not on, it's not on. Conceeding territory as we did simply meant we STILL went long down the line but gave up 15-20m to do it.

The 'long down the line' play isn't sexy, but it's incumbent on the likes of Naughton, Jamarra, Bont, Cordy and Stef to compete and bring the ball to ground and let our midfield go to work. Sometimes you need to simply trust the players down the field to compete, but we have this propensity to want to hit cute targets and execute the perfect play and we've been turning it over all year. We've neglected the basics on so many fronts (Weightman - stay on the ground) and we're paying for it.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought both Gardner and O'Brien defended well. I believe Gardner has stepped up in Keath's absence and is tracking well.

Richards seemed to be our loose at times but that strategy favoured the Crows. I would've preferred to see Schache or someone else go forward and make it one on one like we did in the last quarter.

Treloar to half back could work? Why not give it a go?

Does anyone else feel like Crozier still has something to offer?

Could either Treloar or Crozier allow us to move Daniel ahead of the ball?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought both Gardner and O'Brien defended well. I believe Gardner has stepped up in Keath's absence and is tracking well.

Richards seemed to be our loose at times but that strategy favoured the Crows. I would've preferred to see Schache or someone else go forward and make it one on one like we did in the last quarter.

Treloar to half back could work? Why not give it a go?

Does anyone else feel like Crozier still has something to offer?

Could either Treloar or Crozier allow us to move Daniel ahead of the ball?
    Crozier was done a year ago with his injuries unfortunately. I don't think he would have been on the list had he not been contracted for this year. Not sure he is the answer but then again we don't have much else.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin had -16 metres gained.

He went backwards!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Hey did we just dominate possession for multiple forward entries then get hurt on the slingshot rebound?

What an unheard of event. I certainly hope it doesn't become a habit.
    The crows dropped a number back so we helpfully kicked to that extra number all day
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not a bad suggestion? How good is his defensive skills?

I want to see Richards do more, he was very loose yesterday. We had McAdam, McHenry, Scholl running riot. McAdam had 7 marks and 2 goals and Scholl took 6 marks and they seemed to be on their own.

Yesterday wasn't about our KPP stock, as I thought the big guys all did well in the backline, it was the HBF that gone done.
    I’d have said Zorko had poor defensive skills, but his move to half back has been praised as the best positional move in the AFL this year.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

12. Likes bornadog, Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I’d have said Zorko had poor defensive skills, but his move to half back has been praised as the best positional move in the AFL this year.
    Worth a try, and move Williams up the ground a bit?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes SquirrelGrip, Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The crows dropped a number back so we helpfully kicked to that extra number all day
    Wow that's the first time we've ever fallen for that, rascals.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Wow that's the first time we've ever fallen for that, rascals.
    Came out of nowhere.

Nicks' recruitment certainly justified on the back of that.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On our forward line, Naughton, Marra, and anyone else playing forward have been murdered this year. I understand kicking to a contest and the need for our forwards to compete but it wouldn't kill them to kick a metre to their advantage instead of on their head.

I feel like sometimes there is an over reliance on metres gained and setting up defensively, and we forget the purpose of entering the F50 in the first place, which is to try and score.

Post Thanks / Like

On our forward line, Naughton, Marra, and anyone else playing forward have been murdered this year. I understand kicking to a contest and the need for our forwards to compete but it wouldn't kill them to kick a metre to their advantage instead of on their head.

I feel like sometimes there is an over reliance on metres gained and setting up defensively, and we forget the purpose of entering the F50 in the first place, which is to try and score.
    Our guys religiously kick it to the opposition's advantage.

It's probably the thing that may cause my wife to never come to a game again as I constantly whinge about it.

It's ok to generate a nice drop punt but if it's ill directed what's the point.

James Hird didn't spin them perfectly but they were always to his teams advantage. That's why he's one of the greats.

20. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Our back half is a real problem. I've been a broken record in saying that we only really have 2 defenders who can actually defend - Keath and Duryea. They're also both near the end, and the reserve cupboard is non-existent for replacing them. I look at 2016 and even when we weren't playing well, the likes of Morris and Boyd could defend long enough to keep us in games. Last year, Duryea and Keath were those players for us but with their indifferent form and injury we're now all at sea.

I had high hopes for Richards but he has been bitterly disappointing. Dale is an AA HB and has got better defensively, but it's not his role. Daniel isn't a bad defender. Gardner has improved but yet still leaks some goals week to week. What happens when Keath/Duryea drop off or retire, which may be sooner than we think?

The truth is we have severe issues in every position of the ground. I think we could turn this around relatively quickly but it requires decisive management and I have no faith in our list management team to do it.
    What we would now give for a prime Dale Morris. Just a lock down defender you could trust 100% who rarely got beaten 1:1 and attack every contest like it was his last.