Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  88
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R8 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I really don't know if the list manager is accountable for the lack of KP depth but he certainly doesn't pick the selected side.
    As many people here pointed out during the trade period it was a highly flawed logic that didn't replace Bruce and put faith an often injured Martin. We were using Lewis Young as the ruckman in the latter part of last season and didn't replace him when he departed. He seems to be doing OK at Carlton in his more natural position
    O'Brien replaced Wood which was a good move.
    I don't understand the logic here. You're conflating one job in the football department with another and it doesn't stack up.

There seems to be this feeling that even though we've seen our coach actually state we would like more depth in the ruck and KPPs and that we have had to make do with what we have that it's his fault we don't have those things.

If it's the coach's job to ensure we have that depth then we have a problem. If we don't think it's the list manager's job to ensure we have that depth we have a problem. If these are our problems and they're not being resolved then we have a director of football problem.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't understand the logic here. You're conflating one job in the football department with another and it doesn't stack up.

There seems to be this feeling that even though we've seen our coach actually state we would like more depth in the ruck and KPPs and that we have had to make do with what we have that it's his fault we don't have those things.

If it's the coach's job to ensure we have that depth then we have a problem. If we don't think it's the list manager's job to ensure we have that depth we have a problem. If these are our problems and they're not being resolved then we have a director of football problem.
    You don't think that if Bevo said I need talls Power wouldn't go out and get them?
    I think it might be harder to get the type of talls Bevo would play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

You don't think that if Bevo said I need talls Power wouldn't go out and get them?
    I think it might be harder to get the type of talls Bevo would play.
    That's something I've been saying for a long time.

But, he's played Gardner, and he's played Martin and there's been better players than those guys with better attributes up for grabs over the past few years. And we haven't landed them.

Is that really on the coach?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lachie Young, FFS - wow scrapping the barrel there. Jones was before Bevo, Adams was injured the majority of time he was with us, Roughead is just a tall that can do what Gardner does and jury is out on Lew Young.

During the last three years we have recruited Key PP in Keath, Bruce, Gardner, O'Brien. We have tried.
    total agreed, all but Gardner was injured tonight!

Don't forget, Carlton had given up on Liam Jones every making it as a fwd and he was put down back as a last resort. Carlton were so rubbish in those early years, they could afford to lose to play him down back until he learnt to become a half decent defender. Jones went to Carlton in 2015 and only started to become a decent fullback in his last 2 years.

Do we put 3+years of investment in any of our young players to play them only as a KP in AFL games?

Post Thanks / Like

Watching from the UK so feeling a little bit more detached this year (probably a good thing to be honest)

Obviously it's all incredibly disappointing, but I genuinely don't think we can underestimate the impact of injuries. I know it seems like we don't have much depth, but I'd love to see if Melbourne, Brisbane etc were tested for depth, as they haven't been in the slightest in the last 2 years. I'm aware Brissy just lost Joe to add to Hipwood, but they are literally their only two injuries, and Melbourne finally had some players out last week with covid and struggled past Hawthorn.

It's disappointing that this year has become a write-off but we are hardly an aging team.
    Get some games into depth players, weed out who belongs and reload for 2023. It's very possible to go from bottom 8 to dominating the league (see Melbourne) with how equalised the league has become.

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarm Beveridge View Post
    Watching from the UK so feeling a little bit more detached this year (probably a good thing to be honest)

Obviously it's all incredibly disappointing, but I genuinely don't think we can underestimate the impact of injuries. I know it seems like we don't have much depth, but I'd love to see if Melbourne, Brisbane etc were tested for depth, as they haven't been in the slightest in the last 2 years. I'm aware Brissy just lost Joe to add to Hipwood, but they are literally their only two injuries, and Melbourne finally had some players out last week with covid and struggled past Hawthorn.

It's disappointing that this year has become a write-off but we are hardly an aging team.
    Get some games into depth players, weed out who belongs and reload for 2023. It's very possible to go from bottom 8 to dominating the league (see Melbourne) with how equalised the league has become.
    Good to hear from you mate, and some good points raised.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone find Bevo's Presser?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarm Beveridge View Post

I am not writing off the season yet. Hopefully we get a few back in the next few weeks.

BTW, Hipwood will be back in the next two weeks, and Daniher has to work in the GYM on his shoulder and won't have surgery. So yes they haven't lost much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Can anyone find Bevo's Presser?
    It's not on the afl website yet for our game which is odd.

The norf freo ones are there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am not writing off the season yet. Hopefully we get a few back in the next few weeks.

BTW, Hipwood will be back in the next two weeks, and Daniher has to work in the GYM on his shoulder and won't have surgery. So yes they haven't lost much.
    As long as we can make finals we are still in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

What’s happened to Caleb this year? Thought he’d had an improved
    Month and was starting to turn the corner, but we really miss his creativity and influence to open us up and move the ball quickly through dangerous parts of the ground.

We are too slow to respond. It was obvious to everyone as soon as TOB went down we needed more height down back. Marshall started playing like Tom Boyd in the GF and clunking everything meanwhile Buku went off and Cordy went straight forward again. We adjusted in the last but too slow.

We had some great individual performers last night but again didn’t look like a team that was to a man prepared to do whatever it took to win the game.

Lot of work to do.

15. Likes GVGjr, azabob, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    What’s happened to Caleb this year? Thought he’d had an improved
    Month and was starting to turn the corner, but we really miss his creativity and influence to open us up and move the ball quickly through dangerous parts of the ground.

We are too slow to respond. It was obvious to everyone as soon as TOB went down we needed more height down back. Marshall started playing like Tom Boyd in the GF and clunking everything meanwhile Buku went off and Cordy went straight forward again. We adjusted in the last but too slow.

We had some great individual performers last night but again didn’t look like a team that was to a man prepared to do whatever it took to win the game.

Lot of work to do.
    Daniel has struggled since he stood over a certain ruck mid way through the 3rd quarter of our final game in 2021.

GD your last point on individual performers V team to a man is a brilliant summary of our entire season to date. We’ve been in each and every game but for what ever reason we are struggling to get the win like we did in 2015/16 and 2021.

Yes injuries are an issue but they were not early on in the season.
    No idea how we fix it either, but we need to fix it fast.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Daniel has struggled since he stood over a certain ruck mid way through the 3rd quarter of our final game in 2021.

GD your last point on individual performers V team to a man is a brilliant summary of our entire season to date. We’ve been in each and every game but for what ever reason we are struggling to get the win like we did in 2015/16 and 2021.

Yes injuries are an issue but they were not early on in the season.
    No idea how we fix it either, but we need to fix it fast.
    This is a point that might get lost somewhere down the track. Injuries are certainly an issue now and as Mantis has mentioned a couple of times you have to wonder why soft tissue injuries are an issue for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This is a point that might get lost somewhere down the track. Injuries are certainly an issue now and as Mantis has mentioned a couple of times you have to wonder why soft tissue injuries are an issue for us.
    It's no surprise that the Crows look incredibly fit this season with Burgess who was at the Demons previously.

We seem to never make changes unless they're forced upon us.

I have a second hand connection with Andrew Russell through an old manager and he is so adamant on the importance of the fitness people being key.