Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

And then there was one.

Five seasons on from our flag win and there are 13 of the 22 still going around - 9 with us and four with other clubs.

We are doing better than our '54 Premiership team. From memory at the beginning of season 1960 we only had Ted Whitten and Jim Gallagher left and Ron Stockman may have still been turning out for South.

So who will be the last 2016 Bulldog going around in Bulldog colours? For mine youth, durability and ability will be the key determinants. So that leaves Josh Dunkley, Caleb Daniel and Marcus Bontempelli as the front runners.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: And then there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Five seasons on from our flag win and there are 13 of the 22 still going around - 9 with us and four with other clubs.

We are doing better than our '54 Premiership team. From memory at the beginning of season 1960 we only had Ted Whitten and Jim Gallagher left and Ron Stockman may have still been turning out for South.

So who will be the last 2016 Bulldog going around in Bulldog colours? For mine youth, durability and ability will be the key determinants. So that gives Josh Dunkley, Caleb Daniel and Marcus Bontempelli as the front runners.
    Bont, 100%.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont or Macrae would be my guess.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Caleb. He could play forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunks, 2016 was his first year
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Dunks, 2016 was his first year
    Bont is just over a year older than Dunks, I will back him to play longer. Bont is not quite as crash and bash as Josh so with a bit of luck should hopefully play well into his 30s. I can see him finishing his career primarily as a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Bont would be my vote normally, those star obviously stay around as long as possible and his game is not reliant on his pace which helps. Just put him on half back for his late 30's/early 40's and he will just keep going. My big worry is that he has had issues with his hips and stuff like that which may flare up again.

Caleb Daniel is my real vote thought. Again not reliant on his pace, super durable so far, and based solely on Brent Harvey small guys seem to age better. Also has enough weapons with his kicking and footy brain that he will be worth keeping around even if other attributes decline and he gets less of the ball.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes josie, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going for the Bont. He's got youth on his side, has sublime skills and would be able to play down back in his twilight years - after he's racked up 400 games!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post

So who will be the last 2016 Bulldog going around in Bulldog colours? For mine youth, durability and ability will be the key determinants. So that leaves Josh Dunkley, Caleb Daniel and Marcus Bontempelli as the front runners.
    Ron Stockman played with South until 1961 Jim Gallagher played his last game of league footy at Footscray in 1960 even though he played 17 games (from 18) that year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be a lot of melts here if it is Cordy.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel for me. Out and out gun. Less likely to be constantly battered like our mids so x fingers he will not suffer any serious injuries.