Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

View Poll Results: Where will Richmond finish:

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 4 - Here they come (again)

4 21.05%
  • 5-8: Back in the 8, but too old to threaten.

5 26.32%
  • 9-13: Where they finished last year.

9 47.37%
  • 14-18: Down with the dregs

0 0%
  • It's Richmond...I simply don't care!

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond: Are they for real in 2022

I have started to do some reading/listening to 2022 preview stuff and the one constant seems to be this:

'Richmond will be BACK'.

The reasoning seems to be:
    - Destroyed by injury last year...but were still considered 'a chance' until about round 15.
    - Dusty will be back to his best.
    - Full pre-season for the flying meatball (Prestia)
    - Tarrant allowing Balta to go forward.
    - Proven game-style

Any negatives would be:
    - Short still unsighted this pre-season and status seems unclear.
    - The long-haired kid playing in Houli's spot isn't Houli...is he going to be able to stand-up.
    - Losing Coleman-Jones and Chol really hurts their depth (on top of losing Higgins the year before).
    - They are getting OLD.
    - Unispired leadership selections - Grimes and Nank - can Nank even be guaranteed a game at this point.

So...what do we think. Are they back? Are they still out? Are they improving a bit but still not good enough? Are they sinking like a stone?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richmond: Are they for real in 2022

Balta going forward lol

They did well to stay up as long as they did when their pressure game was the cornerstone of their success, they'll be mid table
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I voted 9-13 and I agree with Boydogs that they did well to keep a good thing going for as long as they did. But imo they have aged and there have been a couple of critical retirements that may have the cards folding against them. They are definitely not to be taken lightly that's for sure but we haven't seen enough young talent shine through to say they could be a premiership threat 5 years after their first with this list.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I went 5 to 8.

I think they've still got enough talent to be a threat if everything goes right for them and theyll win enough games at the G.
    Not sure if Tarrant will cover the Astbury loss and Cotchin is way passed his best.
    So much depends on Martin also. If he can get back to his best and the rest of the team cover him defensively so he can play his natural game anything can happen.

I think just outside the top 4.

Post Thanks / Like

They can make the top 8 but should now be rebuilding. They'll acquit themselves well but run into bad patches of form.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The depth was exposed last year and was not good enough. Adding Tarrant is hardly going to reinvigorate as he is towards the end.

Dusty back to his best may also be difficult as it was a very serious injury and he his likely to have a few mental scars about that type of incident.

I think they miss and expect Carlton to win next week.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I've put them in the 5-8 option.

Their best is still good enough to test the best teams. They proved that last year when they gave us a workover. They still have a lot of terrific players on their list. They are well coached and the club is superbly run. It's still a good mix.

I can't see them going all the way however as quite a few of their star players are getting a bit long in the tooth. The players who will be 30yo+ this year include; Dusty, Cotchin, Caddy, Edwards, Grimes, Lambert, Lynch, Pickett, Prestia, Riewoldt & Tarrant. Thats half the team.

Melbourne in comparison only Brown, Gawn, Hibberd & May from their premiership who are in the veteran part of their careers. Dogs runner up team also only 4 in JJ, Libba, Keath & Duryea (Bruce inj).

Richmond's list does run deep however and unlike Geelong do have good youth coming through led by Balta, Soldo & Bolton who are coming into their prime. Their fleet of smalls are also in their prime years. I do like how they hit the draft last year to begin the regeneration while they still have a strong list.

I expect their defence to still be fairly strong and their forward line still has enough firepower. My concern is their much vaunted midfield. Dusty & Cotchin are no longer 25-28. Can they still perform at that level and do it all year? Are the fellow midfielders match winners in the way they are if they are down or injured? I don't think so.

They are experienced, cunning and have a good mix overall. Just a query on the ages of their superstars leads me to think they can make the finals but will fall short.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

8. Likes Dry Rot, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have them 5 to 8, but reckon they have a chance at one more flag before the decline sets in. Having a guy like Dusty in your team gives them the x facto edge and their top 15 players are still good enough. Question is whether they want to!

10. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had them twelfth on my ladder.

Too old, out dated game style and lacking elite talent. A great side at their peak, but that time is long gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Has their midfield has expired? Cotchin looked like he had a big game or two left but couldnt stay glued together, Martin obviously got injured, Prestia was injured,MIA, Caddy even though not really a mid looked cooked, Nank had patches of reasonable form, Lambert, McIntosh etc have had a great run of injury free footy - can it continue?

Theres a chance for me that they can be exposed midfield and that they dont have the engine room to really challenge when the whips are cracking

Post Thanks / Like

They’re gonna be just as bad this year as they were last year. I especially loved how for 4 years we were told over and over again how it wasn’t all Dusty and they’re a champion team and you have to respect the hard running of Kamdyn Macintosh or whatever, and then the actual literal second Dusty gets injured they turn into a bottom 4 side.

Tarrant is washed, Balta sucks, no one thinks 2020 counted. They’re done.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They’re gonna be just as bad this year as they were last year. I especially loved how for 4 years we were told over and over again how it wasn’t all Dusty and they’re a champion team and you have to respect the hard running of Kamdyn Macintosh or whatever, and then the actual literal second Dusty gets injured they turn into a bottom 4 side.

Tarrant is washed, Balta sucks, no one thinks 2020 counted. They’re done.
    I thought you loved Balta
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Richmonds delivery inside 50 in the opening term has been outstanding so far. Hope Dogs coaches are watching.

We need a player like Bolton!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Richmonds delivery inside 50 in the opening term has been outstanding so far. Hope Dogs coaches are watching.

We need a player like Bolton!
    Lipinski might still make it…
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lipinski might still make it…
    Why did we get rid of Lippa. Silk. I rate him.