Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  141
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Club Statement

Post Thanks / Like

Club Statement

The Western Bulldogs wish to issue the following statements regarding the post-game press conference following Wednesday night’s Round 1 match.

STATEMENT FROM SENIOR COACH LUKE BEVERIDGE

I have reflected on my comments and actions from the post-game press conference after last night’s game and acknowledge that my exchange with journalist Tom Morris overstepped the mark.

I want to apologise for my behaviour. I want to apologise to Tom Morris and all those present last night and to our members, supporters, partners and the wider football community.

We have strong values at the Bulldogs that we all sign up to. They are values that I believe in and support and live. My actions last night were not consistent with those values or the way we go about business as a football club, or I go about life as an individual.

I recognised that what I did was not okay. It was not representative of our club culture which is so special and means so much to me. While I was highly emotional in the moments after a difficult loss, it is no excuse to let those emotions spill over and get the better of me.

As people would know, I am extremely passionate about, and protective of, our players and our people, and I always have their welfare and their best interests at heart. I pride myself on being measured and thoughtful, however on this occasion I clearly didn’t handle it the way I should have, and I understand and accept that.

The last thing I want is for my actions to reflect negatively on the Western Bulldogs Football Club and our culture. As I’ve said many times, I want our members and supporters to be proud of their Club on and off the field and to be proud of the way we conduct ourselves at all times, and I’ll continue to strive for that.

I take accountability for my actions. We will work through that as a club and I will focus on getting the best out of the team for the remainder of the season, and my energies will be centred on preparing our players for our next game against Carlton.

STATEMENT FROM PRESIDENT KYLIE WATSON-WHEELER

The Western Bulldogs Football Club cannot and does not condone senior coach Luke Beveridge’s handling of his post-game press conference exchange with Tom Morris last night. The Club sincerely apologises to Tom for the incident. It is important to us that Tom is ok.

Our CEO Ameet Bains and I have had extensive and frank discussions with Luke today. From the very beginning of those discussions this morning, Luke made clear that he understood his behaviour was inappropriate and he is deeply remorseful.

Luke also understands that his conduct in the press conference was not reflective of the values of the Western Bulldogs and has shone a negative light on the Club. Everyone is entitled to a respectful workplace and we acknowledge the important and sometimes difficult job the football media have to do.

In addition to Luke’s formal apology, the Club has agreed with the AFL to donate $20,000 to Orygen, a key partner of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation, to assist Orygen with the important work it does in youth mental health.

Luke is a man of strong integrity who leads with heart and soul, caring deeply for everyone at the Western Bulldogs. His passion crossed a line last night and he is aware of that. As a Club, we commit to a thorough process of internal assessment to ensure better outcomes in the future.

Luke is a much loved and valued leader within our club. Our role as a Board, as a management group and as a club as a whole, is to support Luke through the incredible pressures and emotions of the AFL industry as it exists today. We will continue to provide Luke with the resources, guidance and support he needs to perform in his role at the highest level of professionalism.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club Statement

Rubbish from the club IMO.

The apology from Bevo was enough, didn’t need to go any further than that.

Nice to know we actually have a President though.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Sedat, westbulldog, Ghost Dog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What else can the club do?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Weak as expected from KWW.
    W00F!

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let Bevo make the apology and move on.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the club has done what they needed to. Would have been nice to put in something about supporting his stance on journalistic integrity/standards, but would have been risky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I disagree. This had to be done.

We all love Bevo but he let himself and the Club down yesterday, even if his intentions to protect the club were honourable. The media, sponsors and supporters are watching this closely and it is important we limit the fall out. This is a sensible move by Bevo & the Club.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

No I think the club has to be separate from Bevo and this shows that.

I'm happy with all of it. Had to be done.

Agree nice to hear from Kylie.

12. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I disagree. This had to be done.

We all love Bevo but he let himself and the Club down yesterday, even if his intentions to protect the club were honourable. The media, sponsors and supporters are watching this closely and it is important we limit the fall out. This is a sensible move my Bevo & the Club.
    What the doc said.

Post Thanks / Like

Social media wins over Main stream Media

Tom Morris stood down by Fox Footy

It comes after a vulgar WhatsApp message the reporter sent to friends was leaked publicly on Thursday.

It regarded a female work colleague of Morris at Fox Sports.
    A Fox Sports spokesman told the Herald Sun that Morris had been stood down “pending an investigation” into an “inappropriate” audio recording.

“While it is not appropriate to comment further, Fox Sports is committed to a workplace where everyone feels safe, respected and valued.”

Morris has been in the media spotlight since Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge launched a scathing attack on him in the wake of the club’s first-round loss to Melbourne.

Beveridge accused Morris of “gutter journalism” and “muckraking”.

The Western Bulldogs coach has since apologised.

15. Likes Dry Rot, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo talking here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think Bevo's response was sufficient? I do. I don't think we needed to hear from the Prez in this instance.
    I get why but I don't think it was necessary. Donating money to charity after consulting the AFL wasn't right from my perspective.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes Sedat, Ghost Dog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is good that there was a response from KWW which shows the club continues to support Bevo. If it was just his apology, it could be suggested that the club has thrown him under the bus.

20. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think it is good that there was a response from KWW which shows the club continues to support Bevo. If it was just his apology, it could be suggested that the club has thrown him under the bus.
    Good point but this club will never throw Bevo under the bus for one an outburst like that.
    He might have gone over the top but it's hardly like that he thumped him or threatened to do so.
    He was clearly frustrated which I can accept from him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

22. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When do we want to hear from KWW? Ever, or never?

After a day I moderated on my view of Bevo, after some sleep I've moderated further and a de-escalation of the situation from us was important and I think the apology and the further statement for our corporate stakeholders and members generally was important.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post