Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  141
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Club Statement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Club Statement

Wilson certainly has Bevo in her sights and is drawing a long bow on many of her observations. Wilson also speculated if Chris Grant challenges Bevo enough. She isn't objective but the only thing that rings true is what the club mentioned in their statement that Bevo needed some support.
    Suggesting that he should have been fined for forcibly pushing back on an overly full of himself journo is ridiculous. He apologised for his conduct and that was more than good enough for me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wilson certainly has Bevo in her sights and is drawing a long bow on many of her observations. Wilson also speculated if Chris Grant challenges Bevo enough. She isn't objective but the only thing that rings true is what the club mentioned in their statement that Bevo needed some support.
    Suggesting that he should have been fined for forcibly pushing back on an overly full of himself journo is ridiculous. He apologised for his conduct and that was more than good enough for me.
    Has anyone any clue why Hunter was initially dropped. If the club won’t tell us anything, maybe we need the media to find out so the fans are informed.

Dictatorships despise the media xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Has anyone any clue why Hunter was initially dropped. If the club won’t tell us anything, maybe we need the media to find out so the fans are informed.

Dictatorships despise the media xD
    He had what, 13 touches last weekend and didn't get much time on the wing?
    In a way it sounds like we had a plan without him and at the last minute Hunter was shoehorned into JJ's role.

Perhaps he's just not in good touch right now? His performance on the weekend suggests that may be the case.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In a way it sounds like we had a plan without him and at the last minute Hunter was shoehorned into JJ's role.

Perhaps he's just not in good touch right now? His performance on the weekend suggests that may be the case.
    He was also struggling in the Lions match
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I find it a little odd really. He’s a proven performer and former best and fairest who has been a little off over pre season and he’s dumped for round 1?

I’d be backing him form wise with his credits, especially over some that were in the side.

I thought covid but then why would Bevo be apoplectic if that leaked, it’s a pretty valid reason and Hunter would be ok with it I’m sure.

Maybe there’s an issue for him off-field, that seems to make the most sense considering Bevo’s reaction to the leak but of course is pure speculation. We know he had issues prior when he stacked his car due to trying to become a parent. Having been down that road it does break you down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was also struggling in the Lions match
    He wasn’t great but had a comparable game to R.Smith in a similar position.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it a little odd really. He’s a proven performer and former best and fairest who has been a little off over pre season and he’s dumped for round 1?

I’d be backing him form wise with his credits, especially over some that were in the side.

I thought covid but then why would Bevo be apoplectic if that leaked, it’s a pretty valid reason and Hunter would be ok with it I’m sure.

Maybe there’s an issue for him off-field, that seems to make the most sense considering Bevo’s reaction to the leak but of course is pure speculation. We know he had issues prior when he stacked his car due to trying to become a parent. Having been down that road it does break you down.
    I wonder how much of Bevo's outburst was a delayed reaction to Morris's leaking of Gardner's omission from the GF? Bevo didn't really speak about it at all leading up to or post GF.
    Morris's mention of Hunter may have just reopened that original wound.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 22-03-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

He’s a proven performer and former best and fairest who has been a little off over pre season and he’s dumped for round 1?

You can't implement change unless you exclude those who the playing group see as untouchable.

My concern is that this means some things are NOT going well...which Bevo had been addressing without success...final shot across the bow of the 'players group' ship - exclude Hunter. As in, you don't think I'm serious? I'll show you how serious I am.

This was almost the perfect storm of such a scenario (in that Hunter was given a last minute reprieve that was easily explainable by the match committee) HOWEVER he then went out there and didn't respond in the way you would have hoped...so NOW what do you do.

Couple that with Bevo's post game reaction which was that of a coach who knows things aren't the way they should be.

I'm actually a little worried.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

This was almost the perfect storm of such a scenario (in that Hunter was given a last minute reprieve that was easily explainable by the match committee) HOWEVER he then went out there and didn't respond in the way you would have hoped...so NOW what do you do.

Couple that with Bevo's post game reaction which was that of a coach who knows things aren't the way they should be.

Double down and drop Hunter.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You can't implement change unless you exclude those who the playing group see as untouchable.

My concern is that this means some things are NOT going well...which Bevo had been addressing without success...final shot across the bow of the 'players group' ship - exclude Hunter. As in, you don't think I'm serious? I'll show you how serious I am.

So you're thinking maybe post the GF loss we implemented some changes over the off season that Hunter didn't adapt to very well?

Maybe a more defensive mindset Brayshaw style?

Agree re worry, it wasn't necessarily the target of Luke's anger I was focussed on it was the non sensical nature of what he was saying.
    The next two games will be very revealing.

Both tough assignments and we are 0-3 this season so far counting pre season form which appears important to the selectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I wonder how much of Bevo's outburst was a delayed reaction to Morris's leaking of Gardner's omission from the GF? Bevo didn't really speak about it at all leading up to or post GF.
    Morris's mention of Hunter may have just reopened that original wound.
    It's a valid point as it did seem to be a big part of his unrest.

I think Morris also reported on a Demons' player omission in a final (Smith?) so I'm not sure if it was a totally accurate reflection of the situation when he said he was targeting the club.

The leak is the issue, and Morris not playing by the boys club code of ethics.

12. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now I’m really worried.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who sees our trite and corporate speak apology as virtue signalling ? These are the sort of thing you issue to "protect the brand".
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched Bevo's presser a number of times. I've also watched the media double-down on Bevo and his "outburst" over the weekend (and again last night). And I've read this thread plus a whole lot of social media palaver.

Now I might be the only person who thinks this, but I don't see what Bevo did was wrong. He called out a grub, who through other means was proven that he was a grub, therore (I believe) Bevo was justified in what he said.

Only one comment in the transcript is personal towards the journalist (I refuse to name him anymore), the rest relates to they way he did his job. Yet every comment from Carro, Hutchy, Lyon et al. is personal. "Lose the mustache" ... "Show some respect" ... "Unprofessional" ... "No scruples".

Why is there a double standard here? And why are we (as supporters) not backing our coach? I agree with a post earlier on in this thread ... the difference between Melbourne's defense of their coach and ours is light-years away.
    WOOF Member 422

16. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip, Mofra, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I've watched Bevo's presser a number of times. I've also watched the media double-down on Bevo and his "outburst" over the weekend (and again last night). And I've read this thread plus a whole lot of social media palaver.

Now I might be the only person who thinks this, but I don't see what Bevo did was wrong. He called out a grub, who through other means was proven that he was a grub, therore (I believe) Bevo was justified in what he said.

Only one comment in the transcript is personal towards the journalist (I refuse to name him anymore), the rest relates to they way he did his job. Yet every comment from Carro, Hutchy, Lyon et al. is personal. "Lose the mustache" ... "Show some respect" ... "Unprofessional" ... "No scruples".

Why is there a double standard here? And why are we (as supporters) not backing our coach? I agree with a post earlier on in this thread ... the difference between Melbourne's defense of their coach and ours is light-years away.
    I think he was right to have a crack to Morris but labeling him a gutter journalist, as much as he really is, didn't need to be said.
    Questioning his integrity is spot on but labeling him is what the others in the media have taken exception to.

I don't think the club should have paid any fine, Bevo's response a day later was more than sufficient.

As for the media backing their own, I hope they know we have long memories.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"