Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  85
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round Four v Richmond at The G

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we went on with the job in the last 40 mins of the GF and Luke Jackson didn't catch fire, Bevo is a geniuns for going against the established grain. We didn't, and then we did nothing in the off-season to improve our 2022 ruck situation that killed us so badly in that 8 minutes of 3rd qtr mayhem, so Bevo and the MC deserves some scrutiny because sure as hell Melbourne have improved year on year and that is the standard we need to reach for a chance at a flag.

Either we're in the flag business this year and the next few seasons or we aren't. Maybe the Bevo tactics will bear fruit in 2022 - eternal kudos if they do, but deserved scrutiny if they don't and we waste another season with Bont, etc.. in their prime.
    Was it the ruck or was it the mid-fielders? From memory it was Jackson vs English in that 8 minutes, and it could be argued that English, and therefore our ruck situation has improved this year. My concern is whether our mid-field now have a way of shutting the opposition mid-fielders down. I know we have a new mid-field coach, which shows action by the club, but the first two rounds were not convincing evidence that the solution has been found.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    .. same with standing back 5m from the mark.

The biggest bullshit rule of all time - stand and don't move an inch. AFL are a joke with rules.

Standing 5m away from the mark and having the ability to wave arms jump up and down and actually have a better chance to tackle the player when play on is called, is a brilliant move - tells the AFL to go get F'ed.

Currently if you are standing the mark, the player with the ball can just waltz around and you and before you know it there is no chance to tackle or even restrict their kick.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Shakes head.

O'Brien to take on Lynch at 192cm and 83kgs soaking wet.
    If we are just talking physical size then we match up ok in the key positions.

Riewoldt 193cm 93kg
    O'Brien 193cm 92kg

Lynch 199cm 98kg
    Gardner 197cm 95kg

Balta, if he is forward, presents a challenge at 194cm and 102kg, he probably ends up with Bailey Williams at 189cm and just 86kg.

I know size doesn't maketh the man. But it is continually sited as the issue with regard to our backs.

O'Brien is 193cm with a big leap. He plays tall. He is 2cm shorter than Lever and the same height as May. Yes, it would be nice if he was a bit taller, but asking him to take on a KPD role this week is not a big stretch. Easton Wood was regularly called on at 186ccm and Dale Morris at 190cm. Let's see how he goes before we start drinking the Kool-Aid.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 08-04-2022 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    If we are just talking physical size then we match up ok in the key positions.

Riewoldt 193cm 93kg
    O'Brien 193cm 92kg

Lynch 199cm 98kg
    Gardner 197cm 95kg

Balta, if he is forward, presents a challenge at 194cm and 102kg. he probably ends up with Bailey Williams at 189cm and just 86kg.
    But they have the same problem in their backline with Nathan Broad giving away 5cm to Marra.

I know size doesn't maketh the man. But it is continually sited as the issue with regard to our backs.

O'Brien is 193cm with a big leap. He plays tall. He is 2cm shorter than Lever and the same height as May. Yes, it would be nice if he was a bit taller, but asking him to take on a KPD role this week is not a big stretch. Easton Wood was regularly called on at 18ccm and Dale Morris at 190cm. Let's see how he goes before we start drinking the Kool-Aid.
    If Tarrant takes Naughton then won't one of Miller (198cm) or Gibcus (196cm) take JUH?

Means Broad and probably Gibcus will play on smaller opponents which can obviously work 2 ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    But they have the same problem in their backline with Nathan Broad giving away 5cm to Marra.
    No they don't - they have 2 young KPDs in Miller (198cm) and Gibcus (196cm) in addition to Tarrant, as I have already pointed out.

Post Thanks / Like

This side looks so unbalanced. Who rucks when English needs a spell?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

(Copied wrong quote, but response is to post 140 from Mantis)

Yep, my bad. Didn't know their team well enough and didn't do enough homework. Happy to own my mistake, but I'll edit that line so it doesn't distract others.

We are clearly shorter than them, as Bevo stated in his presser, and if we don't bring the pressure we will be in trouble. But as stated earlier, it is not purely about height. Hopefully our team defense can get us through this week and Cordy gets back next week.

I think it is likely that Khamis or Schache will be the medi-sub, as an injury to a tall would make things very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we went on with the job in the last 40 mins of the GF and Luke Jackson didn't catch fire, Bevo is a geniuns for going against the established grain. We didn't, and then we did nothing in the off-season to improve our 2022 ruck situation that killed us so badly in that 8 minutes of 3rd qtr mayhem, so Bevo and the MC deserves some scrutiny because sure as hell Melbourne have improved year on year and that is the standard we need to reach for a chance at a flag.

Either we're in the flag business this year and the next few seasons or we aren't. Maybe the Bevo tactics will bear fruit in 2022 - eternal kudos if they do, but deserved scrutiny if they don't and we waste another season with Bont, etc.. in their prime.
    Was 2021 a waste?