Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  56
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round Six v Adelaide on Mars

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm annoyed he isn't in the team this week.

When Garcia, VDM, JJ, Hunter, Wallis, Hannan are all out - and McNeil, McComb picked ahead of him, as well as Butler previously - it is very clear he is not rated by the coach.
    In some instances form at the VFL isn't a strong consideration for team selection.
    West is clearly not meeting Bevo's and the MC's requirements so I'll accept that they're making the right call here.
    It's annoying because we aren't giving him a chance to show his worth but maybe we have to back the MC.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are really going to miss Tim. His possessions and marking around the ground as well as his improving ruck work makes him one of the most important players in our side if not the most important.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm annoyed he isn't in the team this week.

When Garcia, VDM, JJ, Hunter, Wallis, Hannan are all out - and McNeil, McComb picked ahead of him, as well as Butler previously - it is very clear he is not rated by the coach.
    Reading the VFL player summaries indicates he is not the same style of player as any of those mentioned above. He gets credits for his tough, uncompromising play around packs when on the ball, but there is a clear message that he still has work to do on his forward craft. The senior team doesn’t need another in and under on baller at the moment. It needs pace and outside skills for the wing, and pace and forward skills for the half forward flank. I think West will make it eventually, but he is a fair way back in the line for his preferred position.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    We are really going to miss Tim. His possessions and marking around the ground as well as his improving ruck work makes him one of the most important players in our side if not the most important.
    Agreed. This situation is why we have Martin on the list. Hopefully his body will allow him to bullock and compete for a few weeks until Tim is back.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 22-04-2022 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    As an observation this game might have been ideal to give Sweet a run instead of making him emergency for the nth time as English is out, Martins ability to run out a game is suspect and in Keath's absence Schache will help the defence.
    I understand the idea of Sweet but even prior to his 2 week concussion, his form hasn't warranted selection. If he's struggling to compete against VFL quality ruckman he isn't going to be the immediate solution that people are looking for.

Martin does cop some flack but in his defence, he can stand side by side with the likes of Gawn and Grundy to simply compete and bring the ball down for our midfield. His form has been strong at VFL and his selection is warranted.

9. Likes josie, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Martin does cop some flack but in his defence, he can stand side by side with the likes of Gawn and Grundy to simply compete and bring the ball down for our midfield. His form has been strong at VFL and his selection is warranted.
    He certainly did that in the GF last year - unfortunately Luke Jackson was another story altogether

He's our emergency break glass option and we are in an emergency. Go well Stef.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I understand the idea of Sweet but even prior to his 2 week concussion, his form hasn't warranted selection. If he's struggling to compete against VFL quality ruckman he isn't going to be the immediate solution that people are looking for.

A lot of us are glad Martin is still with us, although for some of us we were hoping it was just in a mentoring capacity and we'd have another AFL standard ruckman on the list to support English.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    A lot of us are glad Martin is still with us, although for some of us we were hoping it was just in a mentoring capacity and we'd have another AFL standard ruckman on the list to support English.
    He has trimmed up and looks pretty fit and moving well, so hopefully he can last.

Tim is looking at 2 to 3 weeks, so maybe we will also see Sweet get a go depending on his form.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has trimmed up and looks pretty fit and moving well, so hopefully he can last.

Tim is looking at 2 to 3 weeks, so maybe we will also see Sweet get a go depending on his form.
    Is Sweet even playing this week or does he take another week off with concussion? He'd definitely need a solid bit of VFL from under his belt before being considered.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Is Sweet even playing this week or does he take another week off with concussion? He'd definitely need a solid bit of VFL from under his belt before being considered.
    He has been named.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All those players have performed better than West in either the VFL or the AFL.
    Really? Reading Varcoe's reports and West has had as strong a start to the year. I am a fan of the kid. I like what he can do in traffic.