Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior players as non-playing assistants?

So for those of you who follow the NBA Udonis Haslem recently signed to play on for his 20th season in the NBA this week
    https://www.si.com/nba/heat/miami-ne...the-miami-heat

Since 2015-16 Udonis has played in 95 games over 7 seasons out of a possible 5-600 games

During this time the Heat have been one of the most successful teams, and have done an amazing job at finding players who were undrafted rookies and free agents and developing them. Udonis would seem to have played an important role in this space, being a role model, working with their younger players and setting the tone of work required. He is used almost as a playing assistant, whose role isnt as much in games

Do you think there is space for these types of veterans within an AFL club?

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior players as non-playing assistants?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    So for those of you who follow the NBA Udonis Haslem recently signed to play on for his 20th season in the NBA this week
    https://www.si.com/nba/heat/miami-ne...the-miami-heat

Since 2015-16 Udonis has played in 95 games over 7 seasons out of a possible 5-600 games

During this time the Heat have been one of the most successful teams, and have done an amazing job at finding players who were undrafted rookies and free agents and developing them. Udonis would seem to have played an important role in this space, being a role model, working with their younger players and setting the tone of work required. He is used almost as a playing assistant, whose role isnt as much in games

Do you think there is space for these types of veterans within an AFL club?
    I think this is the example of keeping an experienced ruck man on the list in case of injuries. Our game is very much based on mobility and I think it does lead to some premature retirements and delistings.
    I think Jack Trengove could have offered that coaching option for us for another season or two.

Duryea and Wallis could probably do something like that as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge believer that AFL retires players too early however a big difference with the NBA is you can play every limited game time. Even when Haslem plays, it's only for a couple of minutes. Obviously you cannot afford to have someone do that on the bench in the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the NBA limit how many players are on a roster or is it just a case of how many you can afford. If not that would also play an important part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does the NBA limit how many players are on a roster or is it just a case of how many you can afford. If not that would also play an important part.
    It limits permanent squad members but there is added flexibility with two way contracts (play at affiliate until say injury comes up), trading players out can open up spots and you can instantly sign a free agent and 10 day contracts when a player is on the injury list,

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I am a huge believer that AFL retires players too early however a big difference with the NBA is you can play every limited game time. Even when Haslem plays, it's only for a couple of minutes. Obviously you cannot afford to have someone do that on the bench in the AFL.
    Joel McDonald an example

Having a 'playing coach' on an AFL list (or rookie list) does help the soft cap too
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Joel McDonald an example

Having a 'playing coach' on an AFL list (or rookie list) does help the soft cap too
    Just maybe don't go into business with him?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Duryea and Wallis could probably do something like that as well.
    Those were two I was thinking of, where their influence probably extends beyond stats on the field

Is there value in having guys who do the preseason, play in VFL games, AFL games when needed and just show others the way

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty straight forward in a Basketball environment. 15 players, 12 can play in a game and realistically come play-off time teams are down to a 7 (maybe 8) man rotation.

So Haslem not playing or getting 5-minutes is 'normalised'.

It isn't 'NORMAL' in Australian football for this to happen.

If you want them to coach, why not create a pathway for them to do so...I think the idea of these part-time players/part-time coaches is interesting but I think if you want to play, you need to commit extended time to hand skills and (as you get older) recovery. If you want to coach, you wont have that time - you are cutting vision, building development plans and establishing relationships that are 'player-coach' not 'player-player' (and those are different).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.