Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  161
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Not worth a thread" chat

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What media persecution has Bailey Smith received? The air went out of the story as soon as he admitted fault.
    In the lead up to him admitting guilt, every media outlet in the country had Bailey on the front page. Even in non-AFL states … even on here. He had to come forward and admit guilt, he had no choice. He was guilty through media persecution. He’s a kid who did one stupid thing, like lots of other kids in Australia.

You’re dead wrong if you think the air has gone out of the story. It’s still there, he is still being dredged across media outlets.
    If you don’t see that, I’m not sure where you are looking
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

De Goey's post is a great point made by the wrong person.

No issues with players "liking" it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, if anything the Media has put a positive spin on his challenges.
    He's certainly fared better then de Goey.

We get the Hun delivered to work and flicking through the pages you'd think he'd assaulted the Queen with the Mona Lisa and escaped in a stolen car driven by Harold Holt
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    In the lead up to him admitting guilt, every media outlet in the country had Bailey on the front page. Even in non-AFL states … even on here. He had to come forward and admit guilt, he had no choice. He was guilty through media persecution. He’s a kid who did one stupid thing, like lots of other kids in Australia.

You’re dead wrong if you think the air has gone out of the story. It’s still there, he is still being dredged across media outlets.
    If you don’t see that, I’m not sure where you are looking
    He was guilty through his own actions and taking photographic evidence. If he didn't take the bloody photo the media wouldn't have anything to put on their front page!!

The reality is Bailey Smith has a high profile due to his own doing and brand. His social media presence is off the charts and he made a choice to be a brand ambassador for high profile brands such as Cotton On and Monster Energy.

Compared to DeGoey, Smith's treatment has been chalk and cheese.

If you can't see that, I'm not sure where you are looking...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    De Goey's post is a great point made by the wrong person.

No issues with players "liking" it.
    Exactly who cares if they like it. We’ve become so precious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Exactly who cares if they like it. We’ve become so precious.
    I'd actually prefer that he stayed away from it but it's a non issue.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd actually prefer that he stayed away from it but it's a non issue.
    A few players gave him some support.

Wallis, Jamarra, Weightman of the ones I follow.

Guess it highlights a fair undercurrent of discontent with players and the current state of AFL media.

Post Thanks / Like

He was guilty through his own actions and taking photographic evidence. If he didn't take the bloody photo the media wouldn't have anything to put on their front page!!

The reality is Bailey Smith has a high profile due to his own doing and brand. His social media presence is off the charts and he made a choice to be a brand ambassador for high profile brands such as Cotton On and Monster Energy.

Currently it appears the narrative they're building around Bailey is one of a likeable guy who has some mental health challenges that he owns. Including owning any bad behaviour that may stem from it.

With De Goey it seems that the opposite narrative is the one that sells. Boofhead bogan with tatts, plays for pies, gets into drunken brawls etc etc...

The truth always lies somewhere in between.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't take the photo, the photo was taken of him. In his state, I'm not sure he realised the photo/video was being taken. He was stupid to do what he did and not think he would get away with it ... there is no doubt. But the media played their part in this as much as they did DeGoey. Their treatment by the media has been all too similar
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't take the photo, the photo was taken of him. In his state, I'm not sure he realised the photo/video was being taken. He was stupid to do what he did and not think he would get away with it ... there is no doubt. But the media played their part in this as much as they did DeGoey. Their treatment by the media has been all too similar
    It's the age we live in, there are security camera's everywhere (car's, houses, traffic lights etc) recording the actions of others and people are going to extraordinary levels to record things on their phones in all sorts of places.
    Whatever the police do at rally's etc gets recorded by people walking the streets.
    It's often done to discredit others and while I don't necessarily like it you have to respect that its happening.
    We are all being scrutinized and the media just has the capacity to get it out to a much wider audience.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the age we live in, there are security camera's everywhere (car's, houses, traffic lights etc) recording the actions of others and people are going to extraordinary levels to record things on their phones in all sorts of places.
    Whatever the police do at rally's etc gets recorded by people walking the streets.
    It's often done to discredit others and while I don't necessarily like it you have to respect that its happening.
    We are all being scrutinized and the media just has the capacity to get it out to a much wider audience.
    100% G ... And he, better than anyone, should know this.

I just 'happened' to be in the Freo Markets a couple of days after the GF last year. A number of the team were walking around (this was after the night club incident with Melbourne). Whilst their was a couple of fans walking with Bont et al, the throng of girls walking with/behind/in front of Bailey was incredible. It was as if Justin Beiber was walking through.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith? He didn't take the video of him snorting, but he was 100% staring down a camera when he was flashing the bag.

Doesn't mean he expected whoever was on the end to screen cap or whatever, but he put himself in that position and knew the risk.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bailey Smith? He didn't take the video of him snorting, but he was 100% staring down a camera when he was flashing the bag.

Doesn't mean he expected whoever was on the end to screen cap or whatever, but he put himself in that position and knew the risk.
    Agree totally. I'm just glad (as you would be) mobile phones weren't around when I was a lad.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

We will have to agree to disagree.

I don't believe Bailey Smith has been persecuted by the media.

Tom Boyd was persecuted by the media, Jamarra Ugle Hagan and Jason Horne Francis are heading that way so it definitely does happen.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree totally. I'm just glad (as you would be) mobile phones weren't around when I was a lad.
    I don't think anyone would have bothered filming me shooting hoops and writing crap stories, because that's about as wild as my young years got.
    "It's over. It's all over."