Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  161
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Not worth a thread" chat

The Disneyfication of AFL.
    I discovered this old post from a Melb uni academic last week. Had some fair points.
    https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/artic...ion-of-the-afl
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The Disneyfication of AFL.
    I discovered this old post from a Melb uni academic last week. Had some fair points.
    https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/artic...ion-of-the-afl
    Interesting, especially given the background of our President.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Interesting, especially given the background of our President.
    What is the truth these days? The perception. What shapes perception? Storytelling. It doesn't matter what game you are in, storytelling matters. Everything is basically a story. Humans unique ability to differentiate themselves from other species is basically the ability to share and believe in stories. The AFL is a good storytelling machine. Disney is one of the best storytelling machines on the planet It doesn't hurt us to have a storytelling expert as our leader.

(On another note. My first love is AFL. But I also care deeply for the world game. Football Australia is horrendous at the story telling business. The AFL is OK, it way ahead of any other code in the land. If you loose that battle, you don't have a commercial game anymore. The connection to grass roots is crucial. But the mass appeal is a non-negotiable.)

5. Likes Sedat, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    What is the truth these days? The perception. What shapes perception? Storytelling. It doesn't matter what game you are in, storytelling matters. Everything is basically a story. Humans unique ability to differentiate themselves from other species is basically the ability to share and believe in stories. The AFL is a good storytelling machine. Disney is one of the best storytelling machines on the planet It doesn't hurt us to have a storytelling expert as our leader.

(On another note. My first love is AFL. But I also care deeply for the world game. Football Australia is horrendous at the story telling business. The AFL is OK, it way ahead of any other code in the land. If you loose that battle, you don't have a commercial game anymore. The connection to grass roots is crucial. But the mass appeal is a non-negotiable.)
    One example of corporate mindlessness over practical considerations is the foray into China.
    Anyone who had an understanding of Chinese culture would have seen that this was a bad idea from the start.
    There's very little to be gained with promoting our football code in this country.
    Money was spent energy was spent that could've been better put into the south Australian football league, for example, or VFL.

Meanwhile clubs are got sucked into coming across to China in the past when it was never gonna work. Money wasted.

When I was a kid we sometimes had AFL football players ( then VFL ) come to Melville Oval in Hamilton to do demo games.
    I can't remember the last time this happened for a long time.

Since then Imps and Hamilton, two fiercely rival clubs when I was growing up, had to merge and numbers get lower all the time.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes bornadog, hujsh, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    One example of corporate mindlessness over practical considerations is the foray into China.
    Anyone who had an understanding of Chinese culture would have seen that this was a bad idea from the start.
    There's very little to be gained with promoting our football code in this country.
    Money was spent energy was spent that could've been better put into the south Australian football league, for example, or VFL.

Meanwhile clubs are got sucked into coming across to China in the past when it was never gonna work. Money wasted.
    Totally agree
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said AP.

10. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree, which is why it’s disappointing that many of us feel the club is failing to engage appropriately with its fan base. If anyone knows the value of engagement, providing a superior fan experience, generating a cult like following etc, it should be a Disney executive
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Totally agree, which is why it’s disappointing that many of us feel the club is failing to engage appropriately with its fan base. If anyone knows the value of engagement, providing a superior fan experience, generating a cult like following etc, it should be a Disney executive
    Update on player sponsors area. We have 1 young girl now doing all the seating work, no one has replaced Dale, there's 0 engagement on game day (previoulsy had Dale, Kevin Hillier or Danny Mcginlay MC and a player) and this week our wing seats were totally Swans!

Sometimes it's the little things.

There's been no communication for any of this.

Do they understand I'm trying to keep my better half engaged and happy here!! xD

Me writing my feedback email this week :

14. Likes bornadog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Update on player sponsors area. We have 1 young girl now doing all the seating work, no one has replaced Dale, there's 0 engagement on game day (previoulsy had Dale, Kevin Hillier or Danny Mcginlay MC and a player) and this week our wing seats were totally Swans!

Sometimes it's the little things.

There's been no communication for any of this.

Do they understand I'm trying to keep my better half engaged and happy here!! xD

Me writing my feedback email this week :

I went into Whitten Oval this week to grab some merchandise. The shop has completely closed for the next two years during the redevelopment according to reception. Michelle who manages the shop for years and was a godsend on many occasions has apparently left. There is a bunch of ASICS gear behind reception. A number on a jumper would take 2 business days (pre they’d do it straight away), and then reception told me they were decreasing the variety of stock and would pretty much only have the official ASICS gear available moving forward.

I know I can go online or buy at the game, but I didn’t enough time for it to be delivered in time plus it’s hard enough getting to a Thursday night game on time let alone having to walk around the stadium to get some gear.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I went into Whitten Oval this week to grab some merchandise. The shop has completely closed for the next two years during the redevelopment according to reception. Michelle who manages the shop for years and was a godsend on many occasions has apparently left. There is a bunch of ASICS gear behind reception. A number on a jumper would take 2 business days (pre they’d do it straight away), and then reception told me they were decreasing the variety of stock and would pretty much only have the official ASICS gear available moving forward.

I know I can go online or buy at the game, but I didn’t enough time for it to be delivered in time plus it’s hard enough getting to a Thursday night game on time let alone having to walk around the stadium to get some gear.
    I placed an order online a bit less than a couple of weeks before the start of the season, paid extra for the quicker delivery but what I ordered didn't arrive before the Melbourne game arriving a week later on the Thursday before the Carlton game.
    I get resources are probably stretched but online ordering is straight forward now and we won't be winning people over with delays with the deliveries.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely they can get some portable buildings and make up a shop during renovations. Bloody weak

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I placed an order online a bit less than a couple of weeks before the start of the season, paid extra for the quicker delivery but what I ordered didn't arrive before the Melbourne game arriving a week later on the Thursday before the Carlton game.
    I get resources are probably stretched but online ordering is straight forward now and we won't be winning people over with delays with the deliveries.
    The club needs to get with the times. Online ordering and prompt delivery is just expected these days. It's a given that anything you order will be with you within the week. I ordered some comics from Britain a while ago and they were dropped off within a week, no special delivery or anything.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Michelle who manages the shop for years and was a godsend on many occasions has apparently left.
    Sad to hear. She was always pleasant and professional in all the dealings I had with her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Did anyone at last week's match find the noise over the PA way over the top? I sit on the ground level and it seemed to me to be much more ramped up compared to previous seasons. And some of the ground announcer's comments were so inane. Annoyed me more than the blue's supporters. And that's saying something.
    I've not attended many matches over the past four or so years due to being in Vietnam for a season and then COVID, but the games I did attend at Marvel last year were terrible from a visual and aural perspective - to the extent my auntie and I decided to exit the ground at half time because of the screaming over the PA (last year against WCE).

It might be that in my early forties I'm becoming an old fart who doesn't like not being able to have a simple conversation with those I attend the game with, it might also be that up and coming generations require that type of stimulus to enjoy the sport. I don't know.

However, it is mindless a lot of the time and one of the best things about attending the game live is actually the social element of it because you get to talk to people you may only see at the footy. It's a shame the latter is being taken away from fans.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've not attended many matches over the past four or so years due to being in Vietnam for a season and then COVID, but the games I did attend at Marvel last year were terrible from a visual and aural perspective - to the extent my auntie and I decided to exit the ground at half time because of the screaming over the PA (last year against WCE).

It might be that in my early forties I'm becoming an old fart who doesn't like not being able to have a simple conversation with those I attend the game with, it might also be that up and coming generations require that type of stimulus to enjoy the sport. I don't know.

However, it is mindless a lot of the time and one of the best things about attending the game live is actually the social element of it because you get to talk to people you may only see at the footy. It's a shame the latter is being taken away from fans.
    Last Thursday, the volume was down after several complaints from patrons, hopefully they realise the reason we go to live matches is to watch footy