Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Weightman "WELDED" to the Forward Line?

For those who watched the GF (and last week's game) can anyone please tell me how we are working to engage this player in the game when he isn't getting near it.

It has felt like we are playing 1-short...we have a mid-sized player on a forward line only rotation who is battling to engage in the game. Why can't we look to try and build his game into the midfield as well? Get his opponent OUT of his comfort zone (or get him a NEW opponent) rather than have one opponent essentially all game who can play inside a defensive structure?

Why aren't we looking at Weightman as Isaac Heeney rather than seeing him as (to my way of thinking) Stevie Milne? Get him up and around some stoppages...Bont forward, Weightman into stoppage for a few minutes - force the opposition to cope with something 'ELSE'. I don't want/expect him to become a 30-possession mid - we have Macrae for that - but it wouldn't hurt to see numbers in the 20's...

It feels to me that we want everyone to be 'flexible' with the exception of this one player - who plays what I think is an almost impossible role. Even Stevie J used to spend time inside the game...ANd yes, of course, play the forwards IN the forward line but this isn't going to be a 'permanent' move... 5mins here, there etc
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Grantysghost, Sedat, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is Weightman "WELDED" to the Forward Line?

Good Suggestion but is it because he has only played less than 20 games and it is early days in his career?
    certainly the last few games we aren’t getting a lot out of him and something has to change.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably because the position was one of extreme need when he came into the side, and now a lack of scoring options (which is only being made worse by Cody’s lack of form) has necessitated a role closer to goal at all times.

I agree though, he needs a circuit breaker because he’s miles off it right now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had 2 teams meetings with Weightman since he arrived at the club and he certainly doesn't see him as much of a midfield option and he seemed to convey that neither does the MC..
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a sensible proposition. All players need other bows up their sleeve. Coming off half back isn’t really in his toolkit, but improving in a stoppage could be it.

Interesting Bevo has played many of his forwards on the wing at the centre bounce - think Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Mitch Hannan, and last week Josh Schache. To my memory we haven’t seen Flea do this.

For mine, he could be our Toby Greene. We can’t underestimate how difficult it is to play as a small forward these days. The best arguably have better defensive attributes than offensive,

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion mjp.

He's been pigeonholed and it's hurting him (and us), which is opposite to our values as a footy club - to be flexible.

His game should translate fine to stints in the midfield given when he's playing well, he's a high energy player who can put his head over the ball.

On the few occasions he has found himself up the ground, he's looked fine in terms of navigating traffic and ball handling so I'm not sure why we're hellbent on chaining him to the forward line.

He really needs a change and this could be it.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

We play everyone else through the midfield, why not give him a crack.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bite - because other players are better at it? He's not Toby McLean and I don't think he has that versatility in his game (yet).

Our forwardline is build on players doing 'something' when they don't have the ball - Hannan blocks, VDM leads the comp in 'repeat sprint efforts', etc. Weightman needs to develop 'something' because when he isn't getting near it (soemthing that all small/mid forwards go through), the best we can hope for is a bit of jumping around when he's on the mark.

The issue is more that Weighman has a habit of slipping into 'low percentage' mode, often trying to take mark of the year when his best option would be to put a little bit of body contact on his opponent, double back and run onto the loose ball. I think he has promise but he has a lot of growth left in his game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've had 2 teams meetings with Weightman since he arrived at the club and he certainly doesn't see him as much of a midfield option and he seemed to convey that neither does the MC..
    I'm not talking about playing as a full time mid. I'm talking about a stats line that is too often still in single figures as we enter the last quarter...

Get him up and in for 3-5 minutes per quarter. Give him a different look at it. Give his opponent something 'else' to deal with. Change the forward and mid mix and give the opposition coaches box a magnet to move.

If this sounded as if I wanted him as a full time mid, well...I actually already think we play one too many (which I think everyone knows).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree this would be a good move. Weightman has contributed nothing in the last few games he has played, and while the spark he offers is great getting him into the game more would help facilitate that. I don't have much reference material for this but I suspect JUH is another for whom we don't really have a viable plan B to get him into the game when struggling. Certainly against Essendon it seemed like he set up camp in his defenders pocket and never ventured out of it, and while thats mostly to his own credit/fault it didn't appear as if we tried to get him out of it (which may've been the point, maybe they wanted to see him work through it).

Finding a way for these guys to provide value when they are down (JUH could have a stint as that intercept mark option that English floats into), (Weightman could have a run on the wing or just push up into stoppages more), would e a good way to still extra something from them for our overall performance and hopefully help them work into the game.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Would he have the motor to play a wing role?

Seems to have the gifts to be suited there.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Would he have the motor to play a wing role?

Seems to have the gifts to be suited there.
    Did Tory Dickson have the motor? Does Mitch Hannan? It's more a strategic starting point before our high half forwards morph into the extra midfielder, then we have a more pure forward running offensively into the forward line.

No-one is talking about this for entire games, more just as a burst to mix it up and get him involved when required.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should let one of your forward pockets pretty much decide how to control the game in terms of disrupting a loose/ zoning defender, folding up to generate numbers, or get high as an outlet - in addition to their traditional (if that is a thing) forward role.

To me Weightman could be able to do that, but first and foremost, I want an extremely talented and likely candidate who could thrive in the hardest position in footy to be given the chance to do so. If we can get him to be that player in today's game, which I think we can with maturity/ time, then we are so much better off than having another number around the ball when having another number around the ball hurts us a lot of the time if our forward movement is off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes SquirrelGrip, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really like your suggestion MJP I was thinking the same when watching Heeney on Friday night. I think in time he can be more flexible his pressure was excellent in the second half but he looks to me like a guy who has had an interrupted preseason. It still seems to be the key to having a good year.

It's taken Heeney along time to become consistent obviously injuries have held him back but I do think Cody is an elite talent who has more to offer than just playing inside 50.

Post Thanks / Like

Weightman got up the ground a little v Carlton and was better for it.

14 touches and a goal.

He still looks like a guy out of form that hasn't really touched the footy for... well, a while. But I thought his approach to the game was BETTER than it has been (it's been deplorable, to be honest).
    W00F!

20. Thanks josie thanked for this post