Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

5 minute warning

It went off at the 21 minute mark in the last qtr yesterday, yet the siren didn't sound until the 33 minute mark... WTF!!!

I understand that there were quite a few goals kicked in red time, but it got beyond a joke yesterday... I was a nervous wreck after the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 minute warning

Red time is crap which is why a radio becomes valuable. I get that they want it to be exciting on TV but it is really annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It went off at the 21 minute mark in the last qtr yesterday, yet the siren didn't sound until the 33 minute mark... WTF!!!

I understand that there were quite a few goals kicked in red time, but it got beyond a joke yesterday... I was a nervous wreck after the game.
    Yep, should have blown the siren after Johnno's 5th

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I prefer not to know how long is left. Being a nervous wreck waiting for the siren is part of being a football fan as far as I am concerned.

I remember listening to the 774 ABC call of the 99 prelim between Essendon and Carlton, and the conversation between the commentators with about 5 minutes to go was something along the lines of "Should we say how long there is to go? Why don't we do this one the old fashioned way!"

If I'm at the game I prefer to stop listening to the radio if there isn't long left, I don't like to know when the siren will sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely despise the countdown clock. Another blight on the game brought in by TV execs.

The unknown was fantastic - there might be time, if we just kick a goal now, there might be another minute!!!

1989 was considered a great grand final by those that were there. Those of us watching at home knew Geelong couldn't win, they kicked the goal that got them back to withing 6 points with only 17 seconds left. I knew they were gone when they still needed 3 goals to draw with less than 3 minutes left.

Ho hum. Boring. What's on the ABC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I absolutely despise the countdown clock. Another blight on the game brought in by TV execs.

The unknown was fantastic - there might be time, if we just kick a goal now, there might be another minute!!!

1989 was considered a great grand final by those that were there. Those of us watching at home knew Geelong couldn't win, they kicked the goal that got them back to withing 6 points with only 17 seconds left. I knew they were gone when they still needed 3 goals to draw with less than 3 minutes left.

I'm glad we finally agree on something Sockeye

Post Thanks / Like

With you almost all the way on this - I despise the idea of a count-down clock, but when Stevens kicked his goal I really wanted to know how long was left. As Mantis said, the bloody game just kept on going!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    With you almost all the way on this - I despise the idea of a count-down clock, but when Stevens kicked his goal I really wanted to know how long was left. As Mantis said, the bloody game just kept on going!
    That just makes it sweeter when the siren finally sounds.

Post Thanks / Like

When the siren went off it felt almost like an anti-climax. I had a fair idea that the siren would go as Bock took the shot on goal and was reserved to the fact that he would convert and we would lose. I didn't even get excited when the siren went.

It just felt weird that the last 5min took 12min to play whereas the first 15min only took 21min to play. To me it doesn't make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you there SS. As painful as it was on Sunday, I love the sweet relief of the siren when you don't know it's coming

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm i may have to reconsider my stance. The radio didn't impact my excitment at the game on Sunday but would it of in 06 when we beat Adelaide if i knew the game was over when Cooney kicked the last goal? I must think about this

Post Thanks / Like

And I'd just like to thank the old guy who told us there was 20 seconds left when we were 10 points up. Then told us there was 1 minute 3 secs left when Adelaide kicked a goal...
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

When the siren went off it felt almost like an anti-climax. I had a fair idea that the siren would go as Bock took the shot on goal and was reserved to the fact that he would convert and we would lose. I didn't even get excited when the siren went.

It just felt weird that the last 5min took 12min to play whereas the first 15min only took 21min to play. To me it doesn't make sense.

I agree Mantis. I had resigned myself to the fact that it was going to be another tragic loss for the dogs, that when Bock missed, I think I was in a bit of shock.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

From the perspective of watching the game on TV, it was pretty nerve-wrecking as it was knowing how long was left - especially with how quickly the goals were coming at that stage with both sides nursing some pretty tired bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    And I'd just like to thank the old guy who told us there was 20 seconds left when we were 10 points up. Then told us there was 1 minute 3 secs left when Adelaide kicked a goal...
    if we had of lost i probably would of smacked him.