Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Kick-2-Kick Podcast, 1973 and Bernie Quinlan

The first episode for the 1973 season is up and apparently we finished 9th.

Anyway, I have two questions for anyone who might be able to remember back in the day:

Quinlan is mentioned twice:
    - Once as being a key part in a victory in his new role as 'ruck rover'.
    - Once as "leading the defence" in another victory.

Ummm. Why isn't/wasnt Quinlan playing forward? What gives???

(I think it said we one 9 games).

It also talks about us luring Gallagher from Carlton under the 10-year rule? He had played 165 games for the Blues and apparently we made a grandfather offer the Blues couldn't match? Which sounds unlikely...

It also talks about how only 6x players actually changed clubs under the 10-year rule (3 went to North) out of 22 who were eligible...the way my loose understanding went, North recruited half a team using this rule (which was only in place for 9-months as a reaction to a court case in the NSWRL)...apparently not. Further, they said North's representative to the VFL was the ONLY ONE to vote against the rule when it was proposed - that's how determined they were to keep their plans to go on a recruiting 'spree' (since when is 3x players a spree???) hidden from other clubs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kick-2-Kick Podcast, 1973 and Bernie Quinlan

If my memory is correct MJP the players North signed were Gary Dempsey, Doug Wage and Barry Davis. I can remember Bernie playing a lot of footy as our chb because of not being consistent enough for the club's liking as a forward and also could have also been for team balance or both. I do remember Bernie playing ruck at a match at Carlton when our ruck went off injured and he played very well. Don't remember the ruck rover part though.

Post Thanks / Like

The 10 year rule was basically brought in to help North win their first premiership. The VFL at the time, propped North up and as B4L mentioned some star players joined them to get their first premiership.

The rule was done away with pretty much after this ie in the same year 1973.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If my memory is correct MJP the players North signed were Gary Dempsey, Doug Wage and Barry Davis. I can remember Bernie playing a lot of footy as our chb because of not being consistent enough for the club's liking as a forward and also could have also been for team balance or both. I do remember Bernie playing ruck at a match at Carlton when our ruck went off injured and he played very well. Don't remember the ruck rover part though.
    I can recall Bernie playing as a ruck rover on occasions and from memory he was AA as a forward and as a defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The 10 year rule was basically brought in to help North win their first premiership. The VFL at the time, propped North up and as B4L mentioned some star players joined them to get their first premiership.

The rule was done away with pretty much after this ie in the same year 1973.
    It certainly did. North were never a force until they got that sugar hit.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think it was Wade, Davis and John Rantall. Dempsey didn’t transfer over until a few years later.

Quinlan played as a CHF but was inconsistent and also played as a CHB and a bit as Ruck Rover. I don’t remember him playing as a FF before he went to Fitzroy.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I think it was Wade, Davis and John Rantall. Dempsey didn’t transfer over until a few years later.

Quinlan played as a CHF but was inconsistent and also played as a CHB and a bit as Ruck Rover. I don’t remember him playing as a FF before he went to Fitzroy.
    Pretty sure that is correct
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds right. Long time ago. Bernie did kick 241 goals with us so he played forward quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't Dempsey as he was mentioned regularly on the pod due to his contributions in our games.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate this response.

As much as I love the pod, questions like "What, Quinlan was playing as a ruck-rover" never seem to get covered.

The story about Hudson coming back at the end of the season after Hawthorn's FF was suspended - and not being able to come over until Saturday as Norman Gunston was performing at his pub on Friday night - was rolled gold though. Kicking 8.4 on one leg having NOT EVEN TRAINED was also not a bad effort! Despite the 8-goals, Hawthorn STILL LOST!

Honestly, everything in the pod to this point (and a few years yet) is before my time...they are names I haven't really seen play (though the likes of Bartlett I saw near the end of their careers on 'The Winners' - I am not a Victorian so never saw VFL games live and dont really have any WAFL memories before 1979 the year I turned 8)...but it is such a great podcast. Over the last couple of seasons they have really sorted out the format and there is something there for supporters of every club...

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Dempsey left for North around February/March 1979. He was determined to leave by the end of the 1978 season but the two clubs wrangled all through the summer over the transfer deal and I can remember reading the article about it in the Sun at school the day after so it must have been well into 1979 because the school year didn't start until February back then.

We got Gary Cowton, John Moylan and Mark Williams plus $100 000 in return for Dempsey from memory.

Dempsey played 102 games for North and the three guys we got played 66 games between them. Really the only thing that sticks in my memory about them is Mark Williams parking his motorbike in the dressing rooms before training one night and Charlie Sutton gave him a serve and told him to park it outside. "These are the clubrooms, not a parking lot. Have some respect" I can understand how Charlie terrorised so many blokes on the field when he got angry. He was a fearsome sight that night.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gary Dempsey left for North around February/March 1979. He was determined to leave by the end of the 1978 season but the two clubs wrangled all through the summer over the transfer deal and I can remember reading the article about it in the Sun at school the day after so it must have been well into 1979 because the school year didn't start until February back then.

We got Gary Cowton, John Moylan and Mark Williams plus $100 000 in return for Dempsey from memory.

Dempsey played 102 games for North and the three guys we got played 66 games between them. Really the only thing that sticks in my memory about them is Mark Williams parking his motorbike in the dressing rooms before training one night and Charlie Sutton gave him a serve and told him to park it outside. "These are the clubrooms, not a parking lot. Have some respect" I can understand how Charlie terrorised so many blokes on the field when he got angry. He was a fearsome sight that night.
    Good old crazy horse.

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Horse was good value