Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  86
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘The only club I wouldn’t put my hand up for right now’: Why Hawks legend Cyril Rioli has stayed away

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Would you make that kind of joke to an Aboriginal woman you probably don't have a close relationship with, implying they're too poor to afford proper pants, or would you think better of it?

If you did and they expressed they were offended by it would you apologize or say 'sorry if you were offended'?

I think the fact that you presumably wouldn't do either of the things Kennett did says enough about how he handled himself.

I'd also mention the article claims "a string of events in previous years" not just the one from 2013. Which alludes to something going on culturally but we just have the 2 examples to go off.

I'll admit though that this incident alone probably wouldn't have caused Cyril to retire and makes for a good story with a clear villain. Good for selling papers.
    Howdy Hujsh

No, that is certainly not a joke I would make to a first-nations person or anyone but a close friend for that matter.

Was just on the phone to my Dad. We were discussing the plight of refugees.
    Some of these people have been in detention for ten years. TEN YEARS, waiting for their applications to be heard, incarcerated, their freedoms taken away.

"The Age accepts that not all members of the leadership group were aware of the incident at the time."
    Rioli is one of the most gifted players I can remember. Was his displeasure fully voiced? Seems not all the leaders knew about it.

If only Caroline Wilson would devote such editorial zeal ( 2700 words of it ) to our national racist shame, which is our treatment of refugees. Come off it. If these people in detention were Ukrainians there is no way they would have to languish in detention camps for 10 years. Issues like this may be a story, but 2700 words? there are bigger things going on in the world that deserve front-page attention.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes hujsh, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘The only club I wouldn’t put my hand up for right now’: Why Hawks legend Cyril Rioli has stayed away

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I gotta say GD, defending Jeff Kennett's honour is not the hill I saw you dying on.
    Hi East and W.
    I'm not, , am not a fan of Jeff Kennett, or his honor.
    ( the cartoonists miss him dearly.)
    What I would like to defend is accuracy and fairness. If this was a big issue as it is now claimed, would the whole leadership group have known about it? If Jeff had done something trump, I could say up to 3000 words would be justified.

"human piece of garbage" well, ok then ( hope I never get on your bad side Easty...)

Anyway he will finish in June. Election coming, get ready for more. Who will have offended who next?

One doesn't die on a hill unless you are always unwilling to move to another. It's always good to get the views of others, yours too.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-04-2022 at 11:32 PM. Reason: for a guy who hates wordiness, too many words.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

"I'm not being racist when I say this, but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgements while they wear these authoritative coats are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game," he said then on 3AW.

Kennett also used the phrase "new arrivals" in that interview.

The AFL and several senior officials at other clubs were furious with Kennett during this period, particularly when he initially refused to apologise.

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/734638

Post Thanks / Like

"Kennett was one of the prominent chorus of conservative white male voices trying to gaslight Goodes about whether the booing was driven by racism. The booing, Kennett said, was “out of envy, not hate”. Goodes had brought it all on himself, because “as good a player as he is, he is provocative”.

In his regular Herald Sun column, Kennnett bemoaned the way political correctness was robbing Australia of it’s larrikins. Goodes, in Kennett’s book, was no larrikin."

Source: https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/06/19...ndal-comments/

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff has form. Lots of form. I can see how the ripped jeans comment taken in complete isolation can be see as some time of overaction. However, when looked through the lens of all the things he has said and done over a period of time you can see more of who he really is. You keep peeling back another layer of the onion.

After the Cain-Kirner Governments almost destroyed this once great state, I had a lot of time for what Jeff did to make Victoria great again albeit he used a blunt instrument at times and pissed a lot of people off (and he did hurt a lot of people). However, you can't argue with the actual economic results over that period of time and the springboard it provided for the Bracks and Brumby Governments. However, as more time has passed, I have less and less time for Jeff the person.

I can not get that image of him holding the Buddy doll out of my head. How could any reasonable person believe that not only it would be a good idea to have a midnight black golliwog named after Buddy, but to tell the world and then defend it. To actually rub our noses in it and talk about pollical correctness. Look at the image of Jeff and this doll. Is this a reasonable person?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Hi East and W.
    I'm not, , am not a fan of Jeff Kennett, or his honor.
    ( the cartoonists miss him dearly.)
    What I would like to defend is accuracy and fairness. If this was a big issue as it is now claimed, would the whole leadership group have known about it? If Jeff had done something trump, I could say up to 3000 words would be justified.

"human piece of garbage" well, ok then ( hope I never get on your bad side Easty...)

Anyway he will finish in June. Election coming, get ready for more. Who will have offended who next?

One doesn't die on a hill unless you are always unwilling to move to another. It's always good to get the views of others, yours too.

GD, this is a major issue, it is racism. Cyril refuses to have anything to do with Hawks and the club yesterday, has issued an apology.

Can you just accept that and stop trying to pick holes in the article.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Jeff has form. Lots of form. I can see how the ripped jeans comment taken in complete isolation can be see as some time of overaction. However, when looked through the lens of all the things he has said and done over a period of time you can see more of who he really is. You keep peeling back another layer of the onion.

After the Cain-Kirner Governments almost destroyed this once great state, I had a lot of time for what Jeff did to make Victoria great again albeit he used a blunt instrument at times and pissed a lot of people off (and he did hurt a lot of people). However, you can't argue with the actual economic results over that period of time and the springboard it provided for the Bracks and Brumby Governments. However, as more time has passed, I have less and less time for Jeff the person.

I can not get that image of him holding the Buddy doll out of my head. How could any reasonable person believe that not only it would be a good idea to have a midnight black golliwog named after Buddy, but to tell the world and then defend it. To actually rub our noses in it and talk about pollical correctness. Look at the image of Jeff and this doll. Is this a reasonable person?

Its very odd that’s for sure !

But he’s done some amazing work with beyond blue so I guess you probably need to mention that too to be balanced.

I don’t get the doll what on earth was the context?? I have never seen that.

10. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

But he’s done some amazing work with beyond blue so I guess you probably need to mention that too to be balanced.

FORMER premier Jeff Kennett has once again courted controversy with his love of the golliwog.

The Hawthorn president has revealed the latest member of his golliwog collection wears a brown and gold uniform, is tall and thin and goes by the name of Buddy, after Hawks forward Lance "Buddy" Franklin.

"Buddy (Franklin) is long, tall and thin and I hope he is as proud of the golliwog as I am," Mr Kennett said when asked what Buddy Franklin's response would be to his namesake.

"They are a major part of my life and I love them," he said.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

"Every golliwog has a name. This one is in Hawthorn colours and he will be my Buddy. He joins Jacko, Mr King - named after boxing promoter Don King - and 40 other gollies in my collection."

Post Thanks / Like

FORMER premier Jeff Kennett has once again courted controversy with his love of the golliwog.

The Hawthorn president has revealed the latest member of his golliwog collection wears a brown and gold uniform, is tall and thin and goes by the name of Buddy, after Hawks forward Lance "Buddy" Franklin.

"Buddy (Franklin) is long, tall and thin and I hope he is as proud of the golliwog as I am," Mr Kennett said when asked what Buddy Franklin's response would be to his namesake.

"They are a major part of my life and I love them," he said.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

"Every golliwog has a name. This one is in Hawthorn colours and he will be my Buddy. He joins Jacko, Mr King - named after boxing promoter Don King - and 40 other gollies in my collection."
    Thats bonkers.

I mean I get previous generations had those dolls, my mum did for eg but crikey we are all educated around how they aren’t appropriate these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats bonkers.
    100%

That was 2011. The world had changed by 2011. This isn't us judging some persons actions in the 1880s or the 1920s or even the 1970s from today's ethical and moral standards (which is not a very fair thing to do as we would basically cancel everyone from our history). This was very wrong in 2011 and he defended it.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100%

That was 2011. The world had changed by 2011. This isn't us judging some persons actions in the 1880s or the 1920s or even the 1970s from today's ethical and moral standards (which is not a very fair thing to do as we would basically cancel everyone from our history). This was very wrong in 2011 and he defended it.
    Almost child like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Howdy Hujsh

No, that is certainly not a joke I would make to a first-nations person or anyone but a close friend for that matter.

Was just on the phone to my Dad. We were discussing the plight of refugees.
    Some of these people have been in detention for ten years. TEN YEARS, waiting for their applications to be heard, incarcerated, their freedoms taken away.

"The Age accepts that not all members of the leadership group were aware of the incident at the time."
    Rioli is one of the most gifted players I can remember. Was his displeasure fully voiced? Seems not all the leaders knew about it.

If only Caroline Wilson would devote such editorial zeal ( 2700 words of it ) to our national racist shame, which is our treatment of refugees. Come off it. If these people in detention were Ukrainians there is no way they would have to languish in detention camps for 10 years. Issues like this may be a story, but 2700 words? there are bigger things going on in the world that deserve front-page attention.
    I agree with all that. But we can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. I don't know how to prioritise calling out a culture or racism/prejudice against first nations people vs our treatment of refugees. I think we have to do both. Failure to do one doesn't mean doing the other is wrong.

Ultimately I think nothing will change from an article about our treatment of refugees. People know by now if they're engaged enough to find out. Maybe something might come from this article. Probably ultimately nothing though just some shame towards an individual.

Post Thanks / Like

He also said during his time post politics and as chair of that organisation to a private group forum a relative of mine attended that he believed people who bite their nails are weak spirited (or something similar) and lack self control.

And then there's this:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/gay-...0908-ffb2.html

"The club felt that once this had been pointed out and you had this gentleman there who was obviously close to young men - massaging young men - it ran an unnecessary risk, and that's why it decided it was best that he not perform those duties again. So the club was trying to do the right thing," Mr Kennett said at the time.

He's an ignorant twat with a megaphone larger than he should have and it's about time the shit he's peddled for years comes home to roost and he's shamed publicly for it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Thanks Grantysghost, angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve typed out longer comments but this all just makes me mad as hell, so I’ll just say that the entire western world needs to stop doing that thing where we shift the onus onto people of colour to make us feel better about ourselves when we do something racist.

Jeff Kennett is a horrible bastard and this gruff pigheaded garbage sums him and his “stop being poor and offended” approach to politics and life.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Thanks angelopetraglia, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, EasternWest, bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve typed out longer comments but this all just makes me mad as hell, so I’ll just say that the entire western world needs to stop doing that thing where we shift the onus onto people of colour to make us feel better about ourselves when we do something racist.

Jeff Kennett is a horrible bastard and this gruff pigheaded garbage sums him and his “stop being poor and offended” approach to politics and life.
    Every word of this is the truth. Testify.
    "It's over. It's all over."