Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  86
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘The only club I wouldn’t put my hand up for right now’: Why Hawks legend Cyril Rioli has stayed away

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Every word of this is the truth. Testify.
    Couldn't agree more
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ‘The only club I wouldn’t put my hand up for right now’: Why Hawks legend Cyril Rioli has stayed away

When race is injected into every single part of life, our individual actions and behaviours become secondary to our immutable birth characteristics - nothing good in society ever comes from that mindset.

Compared to previous generations, racism is on life support in this country - I know this is an unpopular opinion, and contradicts the media narrative, but it is true. It will never be 100% extinguished but as a collective we are so much more understanding and respectful of the differences in cultures - we are absolutely trending in the right direction and will collectively continue to do so, which is a wonderful thing. The people amplifying racism in the media are desperate to keep the 'racism is out of control' narrative going so as to create further chaos and division.

I have no opinion on this particular issue - I wasn't directly involved/impacted and I do not trust words/intentions of the author of the article. If there is an issue between the parties involved, it is their business and theirs alone to resolve it (or to choose not to). As an aside, I have completely disengaged with modern media because of their dishonesty and deliberate intention to poison the mind and the soul of all of us. Life is far more affirming without this poison in your life.
    Last edited by Sedat; 04-04-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    When race is injected into every single part of life, our actions and behaviours become secondry to our inmutable birth characteristics - nothing good in society ever comes from that mindset.

Compared to previous genertions, racism is on life support in this country - I know this is an unpopular opinion, and contradicts the media narrative, but it is true. It will never be 100% extinguished but as a collective we are so much more understanding and respectful of the differences in cultures - we are absolutely trending in the right direction and will collectively continue to do so, which is a wonderful thing. The people amplifying racism in the media are desperate to keep the 'racism is out of control' narrative going so as to create further chaos and division.

I have no opinion on this particular issue - I wasn't directly involved/impacted and I do not trust words/intentions the author of the article. If there is an issue between the parties involved, it is their business and theirs alone to resolve it (or to choose not to). As an aside, I have completely disengaged with modern media because of their dishonesty and deliberate intention to poison the mind and the soul of all of us. Life is far more affirming without this poison in your life.
    You've never expressed dissatisfaction with media before......is everything OK?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Jeff has form. Lots of form. I can see how the ripped jeans comment taken in complete isolation can be see as some time of overaction. However, when looked through the lens of all the things he has said and done over a period of time you can see more of who he really is. You keep peeling back another layer of the onion.

After the Cain-Kirner Governments almost destroyed this once great state, I had a lot of time for what Jeff did to make Victoria great again albeit he used a blunt instrument at times and pissed a lot of people off (and he did hurt a lot of people). However, you can't argue with the actual economic results over that period of time and the springboard it provided for the Bracks and Brumby Governments. However, as more time has passed, I have less and less time for Jeff the person.

I can not get that image of him holding the Buddy doll out of my head. How could any reasonable person believe that not only it would be a good idea to have a midnight black golliwog named after Buddy, but to tell the world and then defend it. To actually rub our noses in it and talk about pollical correctness. Look at the image of Jeff and this doll. Is this a reasonable person?

Yeah nah to your political reckoning of Kennett.
    Sorry but Kennett generated almighty income from selling state assets including the technical schools and all their irreplaceable technology.
    And forced schools to sack teachers.

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With reference to the "jeans gate" incident, I cannot conceive how that could blow-out to have the major incident it has become. Most people would have told Jeff to get stuffed (then and there) and moved on. I have no doubt that it was a Dad joke, misunderstood and poorly received.

The whole world is all too ready to see offense where it may not be intended.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

8. Likes Ghost Dog, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    With reference to the "jeans gate" incident, I cannot conceive how that could blow-out to have the major incident it has become. Most people would have told Jeff to get stuffed (then and there) and moved on. I have no doubt that it was a Dad joke, misunderstood and poorly received.

Lol, what a take. I'm surprised you didn't chuck in some "woke" or "virtue signaling" just to hit a few more tropes on the way through.

I'm pretty sick of the "why don't they just get over it" mob and their imposition of their opinions on other people's lived experience.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 04-04-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

It doesn't, nor does the article suggest that.
    It was the final straw after a long period of behaviour.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing was an example of what I understand as casual racism. If Kennett makes the comment to those of us without indigenous heritage we roll our eyes and think he’s just a stupid old fart who doesn’t understand modern day fashio. To those who’ve had a background of race- based discrimination and been stigmatised and lived in poverty it will have different layers of meaning and revive all the awful experiences of generations before. We’d all benefit from learning and thinking more about that and it’s not a bad rule of thumb for life in general that if someone perceives a slight in something we’ve said, to understand why that might be so.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

14. Likes Mofra, Murphy'sLore, bornadog, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should also add that when the jeans comment comes from someone who proudly boasts about a golliwog collection, it is likely to be more insulting.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Every word of this is the truth. Testify.
    Now you are pinching quotes off Devon Dudley EW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    The whole thing was an example of what I understand as casual racism. If Kennett makes the comment to those of us without indigenous heritage we roll our eyes and think he’s just a stupid old fart who doesn’t understand modern day fashio. To those who’ve had a background of race- based discrimination and been stigmatised and lived in poverty it will have different layers of meaning and revive all the awful experiences of generations before. We’d all benefit from learning and thinking more about that and it’s not a bad rule of thumb for life in general that if someone perceives a slight in something we’ve said, to understand why that might be so.
    Hi B-Tragician. Thanks for the view.

You mention those who have lived in poverty. We all know that poverty is a broad situation.

Can see American society is becoming polarized and fragmented by social media and news corporations plying this issue. ( Thanks Rupert )

Western Bulldogs take their colors from the Union Jack, as I understand it, as we do the British Bulldog. Are we going to change that too? If it really is invasion day, and a purge where one culture is held up above all others, go all the way. Let's become the Western Bullfrogs.

One authority gets to measure who has the most past-pain and force cultural sensitivities on people in a public court ( Caroline Wilson usually). But of course that authority is almost always not aboriginal are they? People need to be willing to sit down and sort these things out, and not let Corporate media and outrage positioning divide us. I've heard indigenous leaders give a similar view.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Now you are pinching quotes off Devon Dudley EW.
    Well he's obviously a smart and handsome man.
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Should also add that when the jeans comment comes from someone who proudly boasts about a golliwog collection, it is likely to be more insulting.
    I doubt any of Jeff's golliwogs have torn jeans, not even Ralph Lauren polo pony ones. Its a generational thing.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    When race is injected into every single part of life, our individual actions and behaviours become secondary to our immutable birth characteristics - nothing good in society ever comes from that mindset.

Compared to previous generations, racism is on life support in this country - I know this is an unpopular opinion, and contradicts the media narrative, but it is true. It will never be 100% extinguished but as a collective we are so much more understanding and respectful of the differences in cultures - we are absolutely trending in the right direction and will collectively continue to do so, which is a wonderful thing. The people amplifying racism in the media are desperate to keep the 'racism is out of control' narrative going so as to create further chaos and division.

I have no opinion on this particular issue - I wasn't directly involved/impacted and I do not trust words/intentions the author of the article. If there is an issue between the parties involved, it is their business and theirs alone to resolve it (or to choose not to). As an aside, I have completely disengaged with modern media because of their dishonesty and deliberate intention to poison the mind and the soul of all of us. Life is far more affirming without this poison in your life.
    It's becomes less acceptable in broader culture sure but are things really that different now with stories about 'African Gangs' compared to the 90s and similar stories about Vietnamese people?

We're also rather fine connoisseurs of casual racism in this country. "The most comfortably racist place" John Oliver had ever been. Not the most racist, just the most comfortable with our racism. I think that somewhat holds true nearly a decade later.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Kennett will go quietly and he needs to.
    Not sure why the Hawks are resisting an inquiry. Get it done and deal with the findings.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"