Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  105
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge v Morris in the court of public opinion

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    His comments were revolting and deeply personal rather than silly. Would any of us get another gig in the same industry after an incident like this, “penitent” or otherwise? I don’t feel he is owed anything by the industry after “doing his time” and I’m constantly bemused at the idea that anyone would need a bit of re-education to realise what is unacceptable.

But we see this time and again - Wayne Carey welcomed back into the fold after multiple family violence assaults, but his possession of white powder was a bridge too far.
    I think he’s a knob. But… didn’t he make some off colour comments in his (supposed) mates group chat? He didn’t do it in public (Like Eddie and King Kong).

I get it, everyone has to be perfect and unless the things you’ve said or done are shown off in public, you are perfect. But are any of us actually perfect?

I’ll reiterate. He a knob. Not sure he doesn’t deserve a 2nd chance, so long as it’s on merit and capability.

2. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do people really still listen to SEN?

My advice - just avoid it all and come here. Vote with your dials! Actually I don't mind Raph Epstein. Also the Quiz! Anyone else that used to be addicted to the ABC quiz at midnight? My old man and I would stay up to battle it out and laugh at the regulars who really just wanted to give shout outs.
    I enjoy a lot of SEN. Gerard Whateley does a good job, Dwayne is entertaining, I don't think much of Maher and Gaze as a team and I really like listening to Healy and Cornes.
    I tend to give Lyon and Watson a miss until after Harfords show on RSN is over.

SEN shat on the listeners over the last 3 or 4 months on weekends duplicating SEN trackside on 1116 rather than have their own sporting content and maybe that was to reign in the spending before the footy season.

Back to Morris he deserves a 2nd chance but it's way too early to give him that. Needs another 12 months away to work on his humility and maturity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I enjoy a lot of SEN. Gerard Whateley does a good job, Dwayne is entertaining, I don't think much of Maher and Gaze as a team and I really like listening to Healy and Cornes.

SEN shat on the listeners over the last 3 or 4 months on weekends duplicating SEN trackside on 1116 rather than have their own sporting content and maybe that was to reign in the spending before the footy season.

Back to Morris he deserves a 2nd chance but it's way too early to give him that. Needs another 12 months away to work on his humility and maturity.
    GVGjr vs. Sedat at the Nets!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate SEN Trackside but I realised last Saturday it has a cult following. My club trained in the morning then went out for some drinks after it and quite a few of them were listening to it on their phones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    GVGjr vs. Sedat at the Nets!
    I don't actually like Whateley that much but it is a good program that attracts interesting guests.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually like Whateley that much but it is a good program that attracts interesting guests.
    I liked him at the ABC, now…not.

Post Thanks / Like

Its too competitive a market place for a guy like that to just walk back in.

Hutch is just being lazy and leaning into an old boys mentality.

11. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You've pinned your colours onto the mast and only the Nets will strip them off. Show up, and take the pain GVGjr.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped listening to SEN when I moved out of Melbourne and have not missed it. I will still listen to podcasts of SEN if it’s one of our players but at least I don’t have to put up with the rest of the rubbish

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Social media blows up over Tom Morris? win at AFL Media awards

Social media has gone into meltdown over a journalist?s win at the Australian Football Media Association (AFMA) awards on Tuesday night.

With a host of big name stars taking home silverware on the night, it was one award that didn?t sit well with footy fans.

The prestigious Alf Brown Award for the year?s best overall media performer went to SEN?s Tom Morris.

SEN posted the victory on X (formerly Twitter) with Morris standing alongside Gerard Whateley who took home the Best Radio Program award.

The backlash came in thick and fast on social media with fans furious the industry was flaunting Morris 18-months after he was sacked.

Morris was let go by Fox Sports after audio of him making offensive comments about then colleague Megan Barnard was leaked to social media.

A second clip featuring homophobic and racist slurs also emerged on social media before Morris was eventually sacked last March.

His sacking in the opening week of last year?s AFL season was one of the biggest scandals of the year.

The post on the social media platform went down like a lead balloon with users, with many calling out the AFL.

ESPN?s Mike Wise wrote: ?What the f***??

One user replied to the tweet: ?Gerard I hope no man ever talks about your daughters the way Tom talks about women. And that they never see your endorsement of Tom as evidence it?s what they deserve.?

One user wrote: ?Mediocre men will be forgiven for anything in AFLM media if they have the right friends. A f***ing disgrace.?

Another added: ?We?re about ~16 months removed from Tom Morris being exposed as a gross person who objectifies his co-workers but sure yeah give him awards and stuff.?

A fourth wrote: ?What a slap in the face to the incredible women in sports media.?

Morris spoke publicly for the first time about the scandal in March this year, taking full responsibility for his actions and detailing his regrets.

?It?s not something I?ll be able to live down,? Morris told the Don?t Shoot the Messenger podcast.

?I?m deeply ashamed of what happened.

?I can?t be clear enough. I deserved to be sacked.?

Morris said his offensive comments were a symptom of the ?warped world? he lived in, and he?s since undertaken ?ongoing education ? to adequately educate myself to become a respectful normal adult?.

?I thought I was one of the good guys ? men who are heterosexual and white like me often think we are the good guys and, in fact, we don?t know what we don?t know. I turned a blind eye ? I was selfish, and I ignored it for a decade,? he said.

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol - give me the Toby Greene redemption narrative any day.

It's fine IMO for Tom Morris to be given a 2nd chance in his field (he 100% owned his screw-up and didn't use the mental health card so beloved by others), but giving him awards in his first few months back is not reading the room.

Media awards are a bit of a fap-fest. So many deeply unimpressive people in a deeply unimpressive industry giving each other a bunch of awards that nobody outside of their own little circle jerk gives a stuff about.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Celebrates

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Morris is a real benefactor of Hutchy's outreach program for wayward journo's. It was all over SEN and Twitter today.
    I can't bring myself to listen too him but I was also struggling with his peacock style well before his exchange with Bevo and his comments about a co-worker that got him sacked.
    Hutchy brought him back into the fold before he had completed his counseling which was a poor decision but typical of the matey stuff that happens on SEN.

Journo awards mean nothing to me so let him win whatever his peers think he's worth.

21. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who judges the Alf Brown award......

Ironically those in the media would think Morris was harshly done by in having information he didn't want in the public domain leaked and bringing about his undoing.

Their level of self-importance is something to behold. They're too dumb to realise if it wasn't them it'd be some other talking head.

23. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wonder who judges the Alf Brown award......

Ironically those in the media would think Morris was harshly done by in having information he didn't want in the public domain leaked and bringing about his undoing.

Their level of self-importance is something to behold. They're too dumb to realise if it wasn't them it'd be some other talking head.
    Well, the award is awarded by Australian Football Media Association (AFMA). So I assume it?s voted by peers. Couldn?t find if it?s a panel or all members.

None other than Damien Barrett is president of the AMFA.

So basically it?s all trash.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

25. Likes bornadog, macca liked this post