Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's a very simple problem - Hit your Free Throws

Didn’t the Blues help improve Casboults goal kicking a fair bit? Didn’t one of Rocca brothers help Cloke too? 20% improvement would’ve worth it.

2. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely it can be improved. Golfers improve their swing. I get it… ball moving etc. Tennis players can become better at serving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Should Naughton just change his technique to a snap regardless of where he is? He’s clearly not improving as a set shot, something needs to change.
    Yeah he should give what Harry McKay does a go
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Didn’t the Blues help improve Casboults goal kicking a fair bit? Didn’t one of Rocca brothers help Cloke too? 20% improvement would’ve worth it.
    All true, it can happen.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worse to not be “hard enough”, or to regularly miss shots at goal.

Schache gets tossed around cause apparently he looks lazy or scared or something… but at least he can convert. I’d play him ahead of Hannan, McNeil, Butler, Scott… Cordy (as fwd).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Schache gets tossed around cause apparently he looks lazy or scared or something… but at least he can convert. I’d play him ahead of Hannan, McNeil, Butler, Scott… Cordy (as fwd).
    Totally agree. He’d probably offer more to the team in team balance alone than all those players, who are nothing but bits players with no real position.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

9. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    All true, it can happen.
    Nick Reiwoldt, Stewie Loewe, Tredrea all improved to an extent.
    Naughton's technique is pretty horrible though, but I guess it's getting better.
    So frustrating though!

Post Thanks / Like

Barry Hall would be an excellent kicking coach.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

This is a different argument.

Bringing in Schache doesn't fix the issues with everyone else re conversion, and while occasionally a steadying goal can help mitigate it Schache doesn't have a big enough influence on games for this to be anything more than an anomaly imo.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I think for a lot of our players we should be just changing the approach. Bont and Hunter for starters frequently miss easy shots inside 40. Both are great snaps on the run. Both should be adopting the Steve Johnson method to at least see if it has merit.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

14. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Barry Hall would be an excellent kicking coach.

His someone we really should of targeted for forward line coach, not an ex Eagles/Sydney/Hawks defender...
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

Bringing in Schache doesn't fix the issues with everyone else re conversion, and while occasionally a steadying goal can help mitigate it Schache doesn't have a big enough influence on games for this to be anything more than an anomaly imo.
    This is simply an urban myth.

Schache played consistent excellent games at the end of 2019 and was banished. Could not get a game after being a proven consistent goal kicker. He played consistent good games at the end of 2021 against finals teams and was banished.

I’m happy with that. Just stop insulting my intelligence by saying he is always crap - because it’s not correct. I’m tired of seeing players do as bad in a game and worse over consecutive games and be selected. We have seen players barely touch the ball this year but get told they are meeting KPIs.

Doesn’t anyone at the club know that KPIs are hierarchical. Kicking goals is up near the top, and Schache and 3 others can do it reliably from 50m. So the genius in the game plan is how to get the ball to them. Time to address that and stop serving up this 17 goals out of 70 shots rubbish.

17. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

But Hannan, Scott, Butler, McNeil do?

Post Thanks / Like

I really love Josh's kicking action. You are right Danjul he is an excellent shot for goal.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    It is definitely poor technique. For example, against Sydney, Naughton kicked a very good goal from a significant distance. Shortly after, he missed to the left with a set shot from much closer. His body stance was obviously very different from where I was sitting. In the first he was over the ball and kicked through it. In the second he was leaning back. It was a repeat of Bruce in 2020. Needs to practise kicking from 30, 35 then 40 m with his right foot to refocus body alignment.
    ALL PLAYERS needs to practice technique under fatigue. When your tired , your body will revert backt to what comes naturally. LYON use to ask his forwards at end of training to practice goal kicking . I wonder what they actually do for practice ? If anyone can share observation from training sessions it would be greaf ?.

Jack and Nick Riewold were poor kicks at the start of their careers. Last nigths 50 m out torp,J.Riewoldt shows how much he improved ,he even practices with ear phones playing with the crowd noise

It irritates me, we picked grant ahead of Riewoldt, and his actually improved every year , whereas Grant , wtf did we see him as a long term footballer ???