Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    With Dunkley confirming his destination request lets look at how we get this deal done and the implications of what it might mean.

I'd be asking for their first round pick this year and next year and would be willing to consider giving back our 2nd rounder for this year.

Brisbane first rounder this year is worth 1,112 points, if you assume (it's a risk) that they finish around the same spot next year that's 2,224 points.
    Our 2nd round pick this year (#29) is worth is worth 653 points but that will get pushed back a bit with bids but might need to be offered to get the deal done.
    That would give us a net gain of 1,571 points for Dunkley or about pick 8 overall.
    We might even be able to use the 2023 Brisbane pick to trade back into the 2022 draft.

For Brisbane, losing McStay to Collingwood should net them 2 of Collingwoods 3rd round picks with a value of around 730 points.
    That would give them pick 29, 33, 42 , 44 and 47 and a net value of points of 2,684. They'll need to find more though with 2 father sons to cover and the very likely scenario that Ashcroft goes #1.
    Brisbane may also lose Gardiner, so that should give them something to work with.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

With Dunkley confirming his destination request lets look at how we get this deal done and the implications of what it might mean.

I'd be asking for their first round pick this year and next year and would be willing to consider giving back our 2nd rounder for this year.
    I'm not sure I like that deal.

Pick 16ish this year and an upgrade on a second rounder is below what I'd be hoping we target. We're giving up a proven, quality, prime mid for essentially a speculative pick and a speculative pick upgrade.

I know in terms of 'points' it might equate to pick 8, but unless it's pick 8, it's not pick 8.

I think we need to go to Brisbane with 2 possible options, if they can't meet it, I'd prefer to send him to the PSD rather than make a competitor so much better for so little cost. If we want a top 10 pick for Dunkley, let's be unforgiving in our demand.

1) Top 10 pick
    or
    2) First round pick + a player
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Letting Dunkley walk to the PSD seems petty, but not allowing Brisbane to become better might be legitimately our best asset grab for next season.

Need North to do us a favour and flag an interest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm not sure I like that deal.

Pick 16ish this year and an upgrade on a second rounder is below what I'd be hoping we target. We're giving up a proven, quality, prime mid for essentially a speculative pick and a speculative pick upgrade.

I know in terms of 'points' it might equate to pick 8, but unless it's pick 8, it's not pick 8.

I think we need to go to Brisbane with 2 possible options, if they can't meet it, I'd prefer to send him to the PSD rather than make a competitor so much better for so little cost. If we want a top 10 pick for Dunkley, let's be unforgiving in our demand.

1) Top 10 pick
    or
    2) First round pick + a player
    But we've been talking about splitting a pick as well. that's essentially what we have to do now.
    We could even use next years to pick to trade with GC to get back into this year.

I'm not so sure I get the PSD option as losing him for nothing gains us what?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Letting Dunkley walk to the PSD seems petty, but not allowing Brisbane to become better might be legitimately our best asset grab for next season.

Need North to do us a favour and flag an interest.
    Does it even need to be North? There are nine teams between us and North in the PSD. Couldn't we just draft him before Brisbane if need be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does it even need to be North? There are nine teams between us and North in the PSD. Couldn't we just draft him before Brisbane if need be?
    Yeah it needs to be North. Would be terminal for the Dunkley brand. You guys can go be mature about his exit over there, I want blood.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

But we've been talking about splitting a pick as well. that's essentially what we have to do now.
    We could even use next years to pick to trade with GC to get back into this year.

I suppose it stop a likely opponent in a final next year from having an extra 25 disposals, and two goals.

If this was US sport, something the likes of Dunks would be all for, we wouldn’t deal within the division.

8. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of like Prisoners game nuclear tactics stuff. An important part of the power play between nuclear powers is showing how willing you are to press the button. Sure if you press that button everyone loses but also the other guys don't win.

In this case we lose Dunkley but also Brisbane lose Dunkley. It's a scenario we'd both want to avoid but if we're willing to do it then our bargaining position is stronger. The ball is also then in Dunkley's court on if he wants to go literally anywhere from North to West Coast or if he'd rather just stay here. Being out of contract of course limits our negotiating power but because Brisbane did so well this year we're not in a spot to get completely bent over. Think GWS trading Cameron or Geelong trading Kelly rather than Carlton trading for Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah it needs to be North. Would be terminal for the Dunkley brand. You guys can go be mature about his exit over there, I want blood.
    Haha okay you want carnage of Brand Dunks first and foremost. I missed that aspect but respect it.

Post Thanks / Like

This on AFL.com

The Bulldogs asked for two first-round picks from Essendon in 2020 when Dunkley wanted to move there two years ago, and the demand is expected to be the same given the midfielder's rise as a player this season. He polled the most votes of any Bulldog in Sunday night's Brownlow Medal and is a strong chance to take out the club's best and fairest.

Ashcroft is the standout player in this year's draft pool and it would be a surprise if the Lions didn't need to match a bid at No.1, while fellow father-son prospect Jaspa Fletcher could also attract a top-20 bid.

ANALYSIS Why the Lions are primed to contend again

The Lions could try to use future selections to land Dunkley or be prepared to go into a significant draft points deficit, which would push back their first pick next year. They could also use their top pick in this year's draft in a deal for Dunkley and then use a future first-round pick to trade in multiple second-round picks this year to land more points to pay for the father-son duo.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We should be expecting 2 1sts for Dunks.
    I'd be ok with sending something small back.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to stick to what you believe is fair value. If you don't, in a VERY small industry, what you are basically saying is we'll take whatever is offered. Why would anyone accept less than fair value for a sought after commodity?

If Brisbane turned around and said, "sorry, we can only offer you our first pick next year - we are committed to our F/S prospects this year" should we take it because the alterative is nothing?

We need to set the price for Dunkley, as any seller should, and be prepared to stick to it.

The bar shouldn't be lowered just because he nominated Brisbane and their situation is more difficult than a Port Adelaide. That's on Dunkley for nominating them and Brisbane for going after him.
    W00F!

14. Likes bornadog, Topdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would think Brisbane have it all worked out otherwise they wouldn't put an offer on the table.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane arent stupid, they would know they cant expect to get Ashcroft and Dunkley without giving up anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion on Twitter which sounds reasonable

* Brisbane receive: Josh Dunkley + pick 37 (653 points) + pick 65 (90 points)

* Bulldogs receive: pick 15 + 2023 1st round pick + 2023 second round pick