Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If Martin signs anything other than retirement papers, this club is in a much worse position of delusion than I actually thought.
    Totally agree, but let's not get stressed till we see what happens.

What would you do if we tried really hard to get another ruck in and we just couldn't. Do you keep Martin as insurance, or just go with English and Sweet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

What would you do if we tried really hard to get another ruck in and we just couldn't. Do you keep Martin as insurance, or just go with English and Sweet.
    There is literally no excuse..if we are even contemplating wasting a list spot on Martin, then we might as well waste it on a ruckman from the VFL etc. so there is no reason we cannot get a ruckman from some lower league instead of signing on Martin.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    There is literally no excuse..if we are even contemplating wasting a list spot on Martin, then we might as well waste it on a ruckman from the VFL etc. so there is no reason we cannot get a ruckman from some lower league instead of signing on Martin.
    I'm kind of thinking the same. Sweet should surely either be good enough to be the backup or should be gone. That'd mean there's room for one more developing ruck.

It's not like Martin is a better forward or anything (they're both pretty bad there)

5. Likes josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather take a punt on a state league ruck, a ruck not getting a game at another club, or a player in another position of need and keep Schache for ruck insurance.

Basically ANYTHING other than keeping Martin on the list.
    W00F!

7. Likes josie, DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We sign either Ballendon or Crossley from the VFL who need work, but both have shown more forward craft that Sweet so they're actually a chance of playing occasionally.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We sign either Ballendon or Crossley from the VFL who need work, but both have shown more forward craft that Sweet so they're actually a chance of playing occasionally.
    Well hard to understand why Martin isn't retired, or we are waiting to get someone first

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    This. If it's insurance get insurance from a state league player or another cast off, I'm not sure how it helps? Only thing I can come up with is a coaching role which is not counted on the coaching cap?

Post Thanks / Like

Thing with Stef, when we use him as the break glass for emergency option, he hasn't offered us much at all. It's baffling unless we see him as such a great assistant, but even then, hire him as one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This. If it's insurance get insurance from a state league player or another cast off, I'm not sure how it helps? Only thing I can come up with is a coaching role which is not counted on the coaching cap?
    Screw that. List spots are a valuable commodity. Find another way if we want to keep him on the books.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Martin is given a new contract, I think this club needs a new name. Something like:

(Footscray Football Club T/A)

Western BBQ
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard Goodwin talk this morning and he thinks he can easily make it work with Gawn and Grundy, so we should be able to do the same.
    Remains to be seen if they can make it work but that’s two elite rucks one of who can play forward. We only have one component of that at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Screw that. List spots are a valuable commodity. Find another way if we want to keep him on the books.
    Agree but it's all I can come up with. I'm scratching my head thinking why?

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly every move we’ve made (including those we haven’t made) short of drafting Sam Darcy in the last two years has been infuriating.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happy days View Post
    nearly every move we’ve made (including those we haven’t made) short of drafting sam darcy in the last two years has been infuriating.
    juh.........

Post Thanks / Like

juh.........
    I meant after 2020. That off season was a banger. Where’d the guy who made that all happen go?

But man, losing Lipinski for nothing, making no moves at all in the face obvious weaknesses last year, McComb, not really having any decent draftees because all the picks were eaten by Darcy (not bad but not fun either), chasing flotsam players to fill alleged gaps on our list while we lose Dunkley for under market value, and seemingly being wholly allergic to any available player that could help in a real and immediate way.

It’s all so uninspiring and dispiriting. Can we do something that might actually make us, you know, better? These little swings are only serving to slowly let air out of our balloon.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -