Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Didn’t we try that one out? Went horrendously from what I can remember.

We’re gonna need Scott as a wingman, especially if Hunter is actually leaving.
    Yes, it didn't work but it doesn't mean it couldn't work in the future. I agree that we will need him for midfield depth if Hunter departs us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Didn’t we try that one out? Went horrendously from what I can remember.

We’re gonna need Scott as a wingman, especially if Hunter is actually leaving.
    Charlie Cameron got a hold of him. That's as big a baptism of fire as you can get, but he looked a long way off being a competent defender that night.

Wouldn't Roarke Smith be a logical one to try? Was really impressed with his late-season form and he started his career as a flying half back.

3. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Charlie Cameron got a hold of him. That's as big a baptism of fire as you can get, but he looked a long way off being a competent defender that night.

Wouldn't Roarke Smith be a logical one to try? Was really impressed with his late-season form and he started his career as a flying half back.
    Yep, that would be a role for Roarke Smith.

Welcome back Lem.

5. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lemmon welcome back
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Scott is a handy player and showed real promise in a position of need, and on the available evidence he isn’t a natural at the spot we’re talking about shoehorning him into. It’s no disgrace getting beaten by Cameron but I was more trying to put across a question as to why would we bother trying?

Also welcome back, been sorely missing stealing your cricket opinions to use as my own offline.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes GVGjr, jeemak, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised how short Scott was.

First time i had seen him in the flesh, thought he was more around my height. (186)

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bad strategy to look at the list for 'honest battlers' that we can turn into competent back pockets. Scott and Roarke probably lead the way in terms of their competitiveness comparative to skill level, but I agree they can both play a role on the wing in 2023 as well.

Also welcome back to Lemmon and a big shout out to GVGJr for his work in bringing some old members back to WOOF. Will be great to have more opinions and discussion.

12. Likes lemmon, Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have you back lem
    WOOF Member 422

14. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought Sam Power again spoke very well.

Professional, gave nothing away, didn't get sucked into leading questions, etc.

Good operator and I remain confident in his ability to extract (Brisbane and others) and add (Freo and others).
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought Scott started off well against Charlie, but our overall performance left him too exposed.

He looked capable of making a go of it and certainly better than the effort from Hannan the next week against Sydney.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes lemmon, josie, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the kind welcome back - looking forward to some Dogs and cricket chat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Thought Sam Power again spoke very well.

Professional, gave nothing away, didn't get sucked into leading questions, etc.

Good operator and I remain confident in his ability to extract (Brisbane and others) and add (Freo and others).
    He's got a great feel for the challenges ahead and I think he is a firm but fair negotiator.
    Did you like the crack at Freo's list manager when he said me mentioned Bont and Naughton joke to me last week so he must be proud of it?
    I also feel that Brisbane won't want to burn bridges so from the Dunkley perspective I'm feeling a bit more confident we will get a good deal.

Lobb's an interesting one, on the surface it shouldn't go through but if Melbourne really hold their ground on Jackson it might work in our favor to get Lobb.

I also like the way he put the open for business sign on if we prefer 2022 or 2023 draft picks or picks and players. He's open minded to either. I wonder if he is going to try and fold a targeted Brisbane player into the trade?

20. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    It's not a bad strategy to look at the list for 'honest battlers' that we can turn into competent back pockets. Scott and Roarke probably lead the way in terms of their competitiveness comparative to skill level, but I agree they can both play a role on the wing in 2023 as well.
    We rookie a Footscray VFL player each year, and Joel Garner had a good season as a smaller defender.

The problem with taking VFL mids (e.g. McComb, rumours of Sullivan) is where do you play them? I still believe wing is a distinct and separate position from 'midfielder' and our forwardline works best when it's full on (shock horror) natural forwards rather than mids.
    Garner at least would be competing for the position he plays at VFL level and Duryea isn't getting any younger. For a rookie spot it's a reasonable play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are well known - I think Garner is best of vfl players (Sullivan good too but do we really need another mid…) and has afl attributes-recall he was on afl list prior and delisted. Whether he has what it takes to make it second time round & whether that’s with us I don’t know. It will be interesting if we do elevate another vfl player and if we do will it be from ‘Scray or another club. Wonder if we have a vfl KPB and if we do I can bet other clubs interested too as there seems to be a general shortage of afl grade KPB.

23. Likes Mofra, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We rookie a Footscray VFL player each year, and Joel Garner had a good season as a smaller defender.

The problem with taking VFL mids (e.g. McComb, rumours of Sullivan) is where do you play them? I still believe wing is a distinct and separate position from 'midfielder' and our forwardline works best when it's full on (shock horror) natural forwards rather than mids.
    Garner at least would be competing for the position he plays at VFL level and Duryea isn't getting any younger. For a rookie spot it's a reasonable play.
    You are bang on about the problems of taking VFL mids but the few times I saw Garner he hasn't done enough to warrant serious consideration but for a rookie spot maybe he is worth a try.