Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a fine balance, if he was reckless we would be calling him out but he is also copping it for holding onto players.
    Where most coaches have one or two they hold onto for too long, Bevo might have a bigger list.
    It's becoming a big issue for our list.

Rightly or wrongly, we have too many players who;

a) Don't play / aren't rated by their own coaches or;
    b) Are one of the many in their position who aren't AFL quality

The following is an ongoing/growing problem we are carrying because we refuse to cut deep enough into the list;

- Wallis
    - Martin
    - Crozier
    - Cordy
    - Schache
    - Butler
    - O'Brien
    - Parker
    - Bedendo
    - McComb
    - Hannan
    - McNeil
    - Jones
    - Raak
    - Sweet

We can't cut them all, and you need depth, but that is just too many players that aren't rated, give us little, or aren't up to the level. Granted a few are young (Bedendo, Jones, Raak) so you could exclude those but they are 3 who are no certainty to be on the list post next year. Hard to juggle them, plus the other 12, in the next 12 months.

We just don't turnover the list enough and it's hurting us now more than ever.
    W00F!

2. Likes Grantysghost, hujsh, F'scary, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

The following is an ongoing/growing problem we are carrying because we refuse to cut deep enough into the list;

- Wallis
    - Martin
    - Crozier
    - Cordy
    - Schache
    - Butler
    - O'Brien
    - Parker
    - Bedendo
    - McComb
    - Hannan
    - McNeil
    - Jones
    - Raak
    - Sweet

We can't cut them all, and you need depth, but that is just too many players that aren't rated, give us little, or aren't up to the level. Granted a few are young (Bedendo, Jones, Raak) so you could exclude those but they are 3 who are no certainty to be on the list post next year. Hard to juggle them, plus the other 12, in the next 12 months.

That is a very big list and agree that they are either below standard or simply players the coach refuses to play.

McComb is good depth because the coach has shown a willingness to play him. The same applies to McNeil.
    We need Sweet unless we get someone better for the Ruck depth
    Bedendo has been a slow burn but showed some attributes
    Jones probably is worth another year to find out and maybe Parker who had serious injury interruptions.

Raak seems a long way off despite only 1 year.

The rest have had chances and clog the list. We need to delist half of them this year and the rest next year.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Bevo being blamed for contracts being given to players? Do we not have a list manager?

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Raak is largely irrelevant to this conversation as he is only taking a category B rookie spot that we don't currently have any other prospects for.

8. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Raak at least is a cat b so isn't clogging the list up.

The issue with this strategy (if you can call it that) is that I'm not sure it's really paid off for us. Either on the loyalty front (Young and Lipinski left, even Dunkley who was getting plenty of opportunity) or on the development front (aside from Gardner and for a few decent quality games a year Roarke I can't think of any potential delistees we'd be glad we held onto). So what does this approach get us? Good vibes? I don't want to go full Hawks but I'd like to win please.

10. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Why is Bevo being blamed for contracts being given to players? Do we not have a list manager?
    Well you'd think the direction of who to sign vs who not to sign would come from the coaches wouldn't it? Maybe there's a committee or something but their input would have to be the most highly valued.

You're probably right though that maybe someone somewhere (Sammy? Grant?) should be pushing back harder against what we assume to be Bevo's loyal nature.

Post Thanks / Like

- Wallis: love him but he shouldn't be playing. If he is that great an influence, hire him as part of coaching or development team
    - Martin: can't go on. Even when called up, he struggles to run out a game as R1. A bit like Wally, if an awesome influence, hire him as non-player
    - Crozier: hopefully we find someone to take his contract
    - Cordy: if we get anything from him leaving via free agency after what we lose with Liam Jones = win
    - Schache: I'd actually keep him for another year
    - Butler: I don't see him making him despite his kick being nice.
    - O'Brien: under contract. Let's see if he gets a run at it during pre-season
    - Parker: mature age and looks a long way off it. I'd delist.
    - Bedendo: a bit of a slowburn but keeps improving. I like him.
    - McComb: I'd not have him on the list but we do. We play him so he isn't really a list clogger but yeah, shouldn't be there IMO. Oh well. I don't think he is as big as a problem as most though.
    - Hannan: one more year. Ok for depth, just a problem when too many. I am good with him having another year.
    - McNeil: I actually like him.
    - Jones: looks very raw. Next year will be big but still really young.
    - Raak: Cat B and looks ok enough to give another year.
    - Sweet: ok as ruck back up. Carrying Stef along with the issue.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Well you'd think the direction of who to sign vs who not to sign would come from the coaches wouldn't it? Maybe there's a committee or something but their input would have to be the most highly valued.

You're probably right though that maybe someone somewhere (Sammy? Grant?) should be pushing back harder against what we assume to be Bevo's loyal nature.
    Happy for his input to be highly valued but yeah someone absolutely needs to push back if required.

I'm also happy for them to give some leeway but with caveats. e.g. give us your top x, bottom y needs to play z games this season or else no future contract offered. Probably too simplistic but yeah at the end of the day the list manager needs to be accountable for the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    - Wallis: love him but he shouldn't be playing. If he is that great an influence, hire him as part of coaching or development team
    - Martin: can't go on. Even when called up, he struggles to run out a game as R1. A bit like Wally, if an awesome influence, hire him as non-player
    - Crozier: hopefully we find someone to take his contract
    - Cordy: if we get anything from him leaving via free agency after what we lose with Liam Jones = win
    - Schache: I'd actually keep him for another year
    - Butler: I don't see him making him despite his kick being nice.
    - O'Brien: under contract. Let's see if he gets a run at it during pre-season
    - Parker: mature age and looks a long way off it. I'd delist.
    - Bedendo: a bit of a slowburn but keeps improving. I like him.
    - McComb: I'd not have him on the list but we do. We play him so he isn't really a list clogger but yeah, shouldn't be there IMO. Oh well. I don't think he is as big as a problem as most though.
    - Hannan: one more year. Ok for depth, just a problem when too many. I am good with him having another year.
    - McNeil: I actually like him.
    - Jones: looks very raw. Next year will be big but still really young.
    - Raak: Cat B and looks ok enough to give another year.
    - Sweet: ok as ruck back up. Carrying Stef along with the issue.
    This is all i needed to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy for his input to be highly valued but yeah someone absolutely needs to push back if required.

I'm also happy for them to give some leeway but with caveats. e.g. give us your top x, bottom y needs to play z games this season or else no future contract offered. Probably too simplistic but yeah at the end of the day the list manager needs to be accountable for the list.
    I don't get how Bevo would be the guy keeping players on the list, and then not playing them? And surely Bevo didn't say "go get O'Brien, or go get Martin". He might have said "we need another ruck, or some intercepting defenders".

And is Bevo saying "offer Lipinski a contract please!". IF that was the case, what's Power do? Just manage the salary cap and administer trades? Is he the "list administrator" as opposed to manager? Maybe...

Bevo never talks about it much, but the likes of Chris Scott regularly defer decisions to the list management team. Maybe that's just to deflect difficult questions in the media. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure where the whole "Bevo makes every decision at the club ever" has come from? And, Power gets all the glory for signing up our guns (he's done well this season with the list we had to re-sign and losing Dunkley is all Dunkley, not Power) but then Bevo gets the "blame" for pretty much all other list decisions.

17. Likes Topdog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I'm not sure where the whole "Bevo makes every decision at the club ever" has come from? And, Power gets all the glory for signing up our guns (he's done well this season with the list we had to re-sign and losing Dunkley is all Dunkley, not Power) but then Bevo gets the "blame" for pretty much all other list decisions.
    Yeah I don't understand it either. I'm sure he has a lot of power (coaches should) but list management isn't his job.

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone a bit disappointed that we haven't been mentioned in relation to Jack Bowes and pick 7?

It'll be a great deal for the eventual suitor, and I would have thought we'd have the cap space after Dunkley's departure.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't understand it either. I'm sure he has a lot of power (coaches should) but list management isn't his job.
    Bevo has the appearance of a man who is across everything. Looks knackered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Is anyone a bit disappointed that we haven't been mentioned in relation to Jack Bowes and pick 7?

It'll be a great deal for the eventual suitor, and I would have thought we'd have the cap space after Dunkley's departure.
    I’m disappointed we haven’t been linked to anything of worth (some good players up for grabs), then a contracted tall who allegedly won’t be traded. While Dunkley, Hunter and some others may be gone.

I’m hoping that something happens that has been kept quiet. Not sure I’d bet on it though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

- Wallis
    - Martin
    - Crozier
    - Cordy
    - Schache
    - Butler
    - O'Brien
    - Parker
    - Bedendo
    - McComb
    - Hannan
    - McNeil
    - Jones
    - Raak
    - Sweet

Is this a list of players you don't like?

Because:

Other than Wallis, Martin, Crozier, Cordy and Schache

The rest are either first year players - McComb, Jones, Parker or second/third year players, plus Raak a rookie B

I think we do cut deep enough, and I have shown a table previously of the players we have turned over and it is huge.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.