Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is this a list of players you don't like?

Because:

Other than Wallis, Martin, Crozier, Cordy and Schache

The rest are either first year players - McComb, Jones, Parker or second/third year players, plus Raak a rookie B

I think we do cut deep enough, and I have shown a table previously of the players we have turned over and it is huge.
    Have you got that table handy BAD? Would be interested to see the list.

My gut feeling is that we don’t cut deep enough, but I suspect over say a three year period there’d be a significant list. Maybe the perception comes from us not moving people on quickly at the end of the season and their exit meetings.

Post Thanks / Like

I've added Vandermeer to TBB's list and I get 6 clear cloggers that should go immediately if possible. I see another 5 who should go in 2023 because we can't delist too many in one year. I agree with TBB, we have let too many contracts be renewed over the past few years.

- Wallis: clogger
    - Martin: clogger
    - Crozier: clogger
    - Cordy: useful utility, retain on 1 year contract if he chooses to stay.
    - Schache: clogger
    - Butler: clogger
    - O'Brien: depth for one more season. If no dramatic improvement, delist
    - Parker: out of contract rookie, do not renew
    - Bedendo: shows potential, retain.
    - McComb: depth for one more season.
    - Hannan: clogger
    - McNeil: depth for one more season.
    - Jones: very young, see how he goes in 2023.
    - Raak: cat b free kick, so retain.
    - Sweet: useful ruck, retain.
    - Vandermeer: depth for one more season
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

3. Likes josie, Dancin' Douggy, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Have you got that table handy BAD? Would be interested to see the list.

My gut feeling is that we don’t cut deep enough, but I suspect over say a three year period there’d be a significant list. Maybe the perception comes from us not moving people on quickly at the end of the season and their exit meetings.
    It's on my laptop, so I will have to fire up later on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I don't get how Bevo would be the guy keeping players on the list, and then not playing them? And surely Bevo didn't say "go get O'Brien, or go get Martin". He might have said "we need another ruck, or some intercepting defenders".

And is Bevo saying "offer Lipinski a contract please!". IF that was the case, what's Power do? Just manage the salary cap and administer trades? Is he the "list administrator" as opposed to manager? Maybe...

Bevo never talks about it much, but the likes of Chris Scott regularly defer decisions to the list management team. Maybe that's just to deflect difficult questions in the media. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure where the whole "Bevo makes every decision at the club ever" has come from? And, Power gets all the glory for signing up our guns (he's done well this season with the list we had to re-sign and losing Dunkley is all Dunkley, not Power) but then Bevo gets the "blame" for pretty much all other list decisions.
    Well, doesn't he have a legal background? Working on contracts for players, meeting their financial expectations, specific performance clauses/bonuses for players, managing future cap space for new/developing players, managing /planning the draft picks/points to keep high end talent coming into the club, finding and poaching opposition players, being across potential draftees, negotiating trades, all this stuff seems like something that would occupy a list manager.

Deciding who which players should be retained and how they fit into the gameplan etc to me sounds more like a directive from the coaches. That'd inform a list manager's priorities on what they offer in terms of years and salary I'd think.

That said I'm an outsider so I probably know as much as my neighbour on the specifics. It just seems like Bevo to tell Sam he wants to retain almost all of the list if we can.

Post Thanks / Like

Because:

The rest are either first year players - McComb, Jones, Parker or second/third year players, plus Raak a rookie B

I think we do cut deep enough, and I have shown a table previously of the players we have turned over and it is huge.
    I copy and pasted TBB. I should have quoted them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Zaine's Mad Monday performance may have not gone down well with the powers that be.
    I think it may have been more of a result that he new it was his last hurrah.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Because:

Unsurprising reply.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I think it may have been more of a result that he new it was his last hurrah.
    I thought we had a new contract for him (not overly generous) but he is testing out his RFA status?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason why Charlie Parker attracts so much negativity? I'm not privy to what happens behind closed doors so I can't comment on his attitude or personality but he was injured for large periods of the year and failed to get any continuity.

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Is anyone a bit disappointed that we haven't been mentioned in relation to Jack Bowes and pick 7?

It'll be a great deal for the eventual suitor, and I would have thought we'd have the cap space after Dunkley's departure.
    Just a little but somewhat understandable. I think we could have renegotiated his contract.
    I think he could have been a good option for us on a wing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is there a reason why Charlie Parker attracts so much negativity? I'm not privy to what happens behind closed doors so I can't comment on his attitude or personality but he was injured for large periods of the year and failed to get any continuity.
    He didn't display much this year but was injured for a bit of it. He was a speculative selection and was coming from a long way back but needs another year to be fairly judged.

14. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Unsurprising reply.
    What does that mean?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

delete

Post Thanks / Like

He is a rookie. How much lower can you go?
    Please re-read. My comments that you quoted are about Jack Bowes not Charlie Parker. I'm okay with Parker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Please re-read. My comments that you quoted are about Jack Bowes not Charlie Parker. I'm okay with Parker.
    Sorry GVGjr, I did look at the wrong post