Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    James Rowe has been desisted by Adelaide. I wonder if we'll pick him up.
    For free why not. Rather him than Martin clogging the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    James Rowe has been desisted by Adelaide. I wonder if we'll pick him up.
    Only 27 goals in 36 games doesn't scream dangerous small forward to me, prefer to look at a younger option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I actually think the F50 entries isn't a quality stat. I would love to see data that shows the difference between deeper and shallow entries such as F30's. No doubt clubs have access to this information which would be a real indicator of what our goal opportunities look like.
    It's the eternal issue though right.

Clubs keep shallow/deep stats but you always want more effective entries and forwards always point at mids/backs for shallow entries/slow ball movement and mids always point at lack of forward pressure...good entries aren't deep or shallow...good entries are to the advantage of a forward preferably 1 v none or 1v1.

Reality - a clear ball movement plan should result in a shot on goal between 35/40 times for every 100...so if you get 50 entries you will have around 20 shots on goal (12.8 or thereabouts). From there you will have good days when the forwards get some 50-50 free-kicks awarded and you have 23-24 shots and some not so great where you end up with 15-16 shots...

What you can't have is 60 entries (as we did) for 15 shots (as we did) because there is no come back from that.

Remember, every forward entry is an OPPO scoring opportunity IF they can chain the ball out - oppo entries OPEN UP the forward line as all the forwards empty out creating more 1v1 opportunities.

It's tricky. Will having Lobb solve any of this? No. Will it solve the 'we don't have a second ruck' problem? Yes.

So...that's one less problem to solve.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes Swoop, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    For free why not. Rather him than Martin clogging the list.
    But can he ruck?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How surprised were you in Lachie Hunters departure?
    It was rumored for a while but very quiet until late in the piece and then the deal got done fairly quickly.
    Seemed like all parties were happy to get the deal done especially given his legacy of a premiership player and being a father son.
    At his best he is a very good player but I think we didn't see as much of that as we would have liked and there were a few reasons why.
    I'm not going to miss him much though but will watch his performances at Melbourne.
    Given he wasn’t at the B&F, not very. He was a favourite of mine for a while but his last 2 years have been very concerning. All the best to him. Seems keeping his exit on the downlow was a strategy and pretty impressive by all parties that it didn’t get out past some vague rumours.
    More worried who we use as wings this year. Scott seems a pretty good bet. Roarke at his best provides some excellent run and aerial capacity as well as defensive ability but he needs to play at or near his absolute best to be best 22. Same with Scott to an extent. JJ could be another option if they don’t keep him forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Given he wasn’t at the B&F, not very. He was a favourite of mine for a while but his last 2 years have been very concerning. All the best to him. Seems keeping his exit on the downlow was a strategy and pretty impressive by all parties that it didn’t get out past some vague rumours.
    More worried who we use as wings this year. Scott seems a pretty good bet. Roarke at his best provides some excellent run and aerial capacity as well as defensive ability but he needs to play at or near his absolute best to be best 22. Same with Scott to an extent. JJ could be another option if they don’t keep him forward.
    Agree on JJ as an option. If he improves his stamina could Marra be a surprise winger? Is he good enough below his knees? I think he showed improvement in tackling ability as he played more games this year. I think Bedendo could be tried there too. Williams & Hannan are options however I think Hannan is a bit too fumbly for my liking. Prefer Scott or Roarke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Bailey Williams had good periods on the wing as well.
    He hasn't had that much exposed AFL form there after spending a lot of his career forward so we could expect both he and Scott can improve.

Interesting to see where McNeill fits in. He was an inside/outside mid in the SANFL but has seemed most at home applying pressure as a HF. He might get an extended wing run during pre-season too.
    As you allude to though, we don't have stand-out candidates
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bailey Williams had good periods on the wing as well.
    He hasn't had that much exposed AFL form there after spending a lot of his career forward so we could expect both he and Scott can improve.

Interesting to see where McNeill fits in. He was an inside/outside mid in the SANFL but has seemed most at home applying pressure as a HF. He might get an extended wing run during pre-season too.
    As you allude to though, we don't have stand-out candidates
    I like Scott on the wing, played some good games and was top ten in AFL for linking back half to front half. (Bont top 5)

PS: Williams you mean Backline not Forward
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Daniel become a winger? Smart user thinks on the move and would have the endurance to run. Also we can stop seeing too many miss matches in defense.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

14. Likes bornadog, Bullies, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which would we prefer Rowe or Arts , I’m extremely surprised Arts was delisted.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Which would we prefer Rowe or Arts , I’m extremely surprised Arts was delisted.
    I prefer Arts
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too . Seems harder at the ball and a bit of you know what in him.
    Bring back the biff

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer Arts
    Aarts was good in 2021 but really struggled this year.

I'm not convinced by either of them but would say Aarts is more genuine crumber and Rowe is more of a Tory Dickson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer Arts
    Yep, same.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Garcia. I think we have better internal options and potential solutions through the draft compared to what's out there in delisted land.

22. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post