Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 29 of 175 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    GG; if your expecting Lobb to provide incremental improvement you will be sorely disappointed.
    I see where are you coming from with Lobb but I am actually sold on him now. We need another tall to assist Tim. Lobb will take the 1 or 2 defender up forward freeing up Marra to get a 3 or 4 defender. They won't be able to team Naughton with a Lobb down there. English can also spend more time forward when he goes off the ball. Darcy can learn the trade down back as intercept defender. There is very little around in regards to talls so for the $500k happy to take him on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do we really need a ''difference maker"? I would think we would get more value from a shift in playing style than from the addition of players. The lack of defensive pressure from our mids & forwards is killing us at present.
    Agree. Problem is, can our mids change from their selfish style of play? Not sure they can.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

If we’re gonna move in any significant pieces it probably means trading our first now too.

Which I don’t hate (obviously depending on the return).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I hear what you are saying but I also think we need a circuit breaker of some sorts.

If the season continues as is, it is a failure.

Does that mean a change in player personal? I guess the key is moving on the right player, but you need to give up something good to get something good.
    Do we really need to give up on Dunkley to add other players though?

I get that asking to leave us 2 years back still won't sit well with many people but he's probably right in his best football years and I'd like us to be a part of that. He was also in our leadership group not that long ago so I think he offers the club and the playing list something as well plus we don't have midfielders that offer us what Dunks does.

I might be in the minority but if he is reasonable with his salary expectations I want him to stick with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bains talked up our list profile so I guess it rules out a significant rebuild.
    Dunkley conversations going well.

Worth listening to https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/...or-star-close/

6. Thanks G-Mo77, azabob, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do we really need to give up on Dunkley to add other players though?

I get that asking to leave us 2 years back still won't sit well with many people but he's probably right in his best football years and I'd like us to be a part of that. He was also in our leadership group not that long ago so I think he offers the club and the playing list something as well plus we don't have midfielders that offer us what Dunks does.

I might be in the minority but if he is reasonable with his salary expectations I want him to stick with us.
    No we don't need to give up on Dunkley specifically. But I think we need to do something to improve our on field weakness.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we’re gonna move in any significant pieces it probably means trading our first now too.

Which I don’t hate (obviously depending on the return).
    Do we know if this draft is rated highly? I know with recruiting teams the do internally give the draft years a rating. So maybe if this year is good (I've heard it's pretty good but who knows) we'd look at a future first maybe.

There's a lot of machinations to consider. Don't envy their jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do we know if this draft is rated highly? I know with recruiting teams the do internally give the draft years a rating. So maybe if this year is good (I've heard it's pretty good but who knows) we'd look at a future first maybe.

There's a lot of machinations to consider. Don't envy their jobs.
    I think it's rated as a good draft.

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard it tapers off pretty much after pick 25 to 30.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do we really need a ''difference maker"? I would think we would get more value from a shift in playing style than from the addition of players. The lack of defensive pressure from our mids & forwards is killing us at present.
    Yes and no. I don't mean a quality star. I mean a rejig of our side that isn't just the same guys with some cheap players to play side roles (like the O'Brien or Martin additions). I want us to be put in a position where we are forced to get away from the same mix but with minor adjustments, and come up with a proper modified approach.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I heard it tapers off pretty much after pick 25 to 30.
    That might be true enough. Even in weaker drafts good recruiters can typically find some value with picks inside the top 50.
    There is a variety of players this year that might help. Rucks, key defenders and forwards plus some taller and shorter midfielders.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs confident on new deals for Smith, Dunkley

Smith close to new Bulldogs deal

Bailey Smith is moving closer to re-signing with the Western Bulldogs for two seasons, as he prepares to return from a suspension against St Kilda on Friday night.

The 21-year-old has missed the past four rounds serving a two-match suspension for headbutting Geelong’s Zach Tuohy and another two-match suspension from the AFL after a photo surfaced on social media, from last year, that showed Smith with an illicit substance.

He took accountability for his actions post-season last year, and said he was making good progress in managing his life as a professional and high-profile player.

Negotiations were tracking well and have continued during Smith’s break to move closer to a deal being done.

Meanwhile, Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said that a positive meeting between the club’s list manager Sam Power and Josh Dunkley’s management last week indicated the 25-year-old was keen to remain at the club.

Dunkley wanted to transfer to Essendon during the 2020 trade period, but a deal could not get done and the midfielder has played 31 of a possible 42 games since, including last year’s grand final.

“We are probably a lot more confident now of getting a deal done there over the coming weeks,” Bains told SEN.

The Bulldogs’ football manager Chris Grant said last week that the club was interested in speaking to Fremantle forward Rory Lobb if he expressed a desire to return to Victoria.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bains talked up our list profile so I guess it rules out a significant rebuild.
    Dunkley conversations going well.

Worth listening to https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/...or-star-close/
    Baines also confirming Lewis Young was offered a 2 year contract.

EDIT; Baines said missing finals would be incredibly disappointing but not disastrous as he is confident we can improve again in 2023.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT; Baines said missing finals would be incredibly disappointing but not disastrous as he is confident we can improve again in 2023.
    Forgive my cynicism but he would say that wouldn't he?

As long suffering Bulldogs supporters we've all survived on the mantra that "there's always next week". I don't really need the CEO spoon feeding it to me.
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much a token contract offer given that he was clearly last in line to play he's preferred role and not given the same opportunities as those he was competing with... If I was Lewis I would've told the club to shove it too.

22. Likes Bullies liked this post