Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 48 of 175 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Everyone knows Busslinger isn't really a key defender right??

Cool.
    More of that 3rd defender intercepting type?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    More of that 3rd defender intercepting type?
    Yeah - to me.

I worry a bit about him (like I do all junior interceptors) that he wont transition well into seniors unless he develops that 1v1 ability (and soon). AFL teams hunt defenders who can't play 1v1 (hence our zoning defenders type solution).

He is a nice kick (I'll grant you that) and gets his share of it at colts level.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - to me.

I worry a bit about him (like I do all junior interceptors) that he wont transition well into seniors unless he develops that 1v1 ability (and soon). AFL teams hunt defenders who can't play 1v1 (hence our zoning defenders type solution).

He is a nice kick (I'll grant you that) and gets his share of it at colts level.
    I've seen a comparison linking him to Lever like. Is that a decent one?

Grainger-Barras has struggled to get a spot at Hawthorn which might support your junior interceptors concerns.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones to us seems to be happening.

Why all the talk about us getting Lobb?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Jones to us seems to be happening.

Why all the talk about us getting Lobb?
    Strongly touted in the media is probably the reason.

6. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've seen a comparison linking him to Lever like. Is that a decent one?

Grainger-Barras has struggled to get a spot at Hawthorn which might support your junior interceptors concerns.
    To me Denver G-B was a MUCH better junior player (colts level) than Busslinger. I do like Busslinger (and I know this sounds like I don't) but I just really worry about how you translate a freelancing defender who is allowed to do what they like at under-age level to a senior defender. To be fair, Heath Chapman (injuries aside) has made a pretty fair fist of things at Freo BUT he is/was just so good athletically that it always 'felt' like he would be OK. G-B is TALL and a good mark but if you are a key defender then you need to be able to play on the following players:

Curnow
    McKay
    Naughton
    Lynch
    Franklin
    Hawkins
    Cameron
    Daniher
    King
    Kennedy
    etc

If you think that's a list of the best players in the game today, then you would be far wrong. Young KPD's are seriously up against it...which is why all the reports about the kid who went to Adelaide and his struggles should be NO surprise, and why reports of the struggles of Grainger-Barrass should also be no surprise.

How - for example - do you play on Lance Franklin when you have grown up not really worrying about the oppo key forward...I mean, you just read the ball and when the mids kick it in you mark it. Now you are playing against the oppositions BEST PLAYER every single week and you MUST defend them.

I thought it was very telling in the game against Metro that the WA coaches did not move Busslinger onto the Metro kid who kicked 7. I mean, why wouldn't you make the move?

On a somewhat related note, Tom Boyd once kicked 6 in a quarter vs Alir (first oppo) and Tom Barrass (2nd option - went to him after goal #3)...he was injured right on qtime and did not return. Don't ever forget what we have missed out on since his retirement.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Busslinger is a Paul Roos clone He might end up a highly sort after coach.

That player you mentioned was Matthew Jefferson who is a strong mark but not as competitive when the ball is on the ground.
    Yes it was strange that WA didn't send their best defender to the forward that was ripping them apart unless they thought their best chances were for him to create play for the side in a Bailey Dale type role.

Post Thanks / Like

mjp, have you seem much of the Vic Metro kid Hayes as a genuine KPD option? Touted in the late first round range.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

To me Denver G-B was a MUCH better junior player (colts level) than Busslinger. I do like Busslinger (and I know this sounds like I don't) but I just really worry about how you translate a freelancing defender who is allowed to do what they like at under-age level to a senior defender. To be fair, Heath Chapman (injuries aside) has made a pretty fair fist of things at Freo BUT he is/was just so good athletically that it always 'felt' like he would be OK. G-B is TALL and a good mark but if you are a key defender then you need to be able to play on the following players:

Curnow
    McKay
    Naughton
    Lynch
    Franklin
    Hawkins
    Cameron
    Daniher
    King
    Kennedy
    etc

If you think that's a list of the best players in the game today, then you would be far wrong. Young KPD's are seriously up against it...which is why all the reports about the kid who went to Adelaide and his struggles should be NO surprise, and why reports of the struggles of Grainger-Barrass should also be no surprise.

How - for example - do you play on Lance Franklin when you have grown up not really worrying about the oppo key forward...I mean, you just read the ball and when the mids kick it in you mark it. Now you are playing against the oppositions BEST PLAYER every single week and you MUST defend them.

I thought it was very telling in the game against Metro that the WA coaches did not move Busslinger onto the Metro kid who kicked 7. I mean, why wouldn't you make the move?

On a somewhat related note, Tom Boyd once kicked 6 in a quarter vs Alir (first oppo) and Tom Barrass (2nd option - went to him after goal #3)...he was injured right on qtime and did not return. Don't ever forget what we have missed out on since his retirement.
    You need to have some height and strength as well to play on those forwards, otherwise they just outreach you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks to recruiting Lobb. In last night's game with plenty to play for and on his home deck Lobb was 92% time on the ground, had 8 possessions 1 hitout no clearances and just 107m gained. Plus I reckon he was a bit of a dh when he was against us at GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    No thanks to recruiting Lobb. In last night's game with plenty to play for and on his home deck Lobb was 92% time on the ground, had 8 possessions 1 hitout no clearances and just 107m gained. Plus I reckon he was a bit of a dh when he was against us at GWS.
    It was a tough night for forwards against the best opposition, however he was pretty bloody awful.

Post Thanks / Like

You're basing that on one game when the whole team performed terribly. He'll be fine with us, a perfect fit to fill that Ruck/Fwd role which we can't get right.

Post Thanks / Like

One game?

Harsh judge.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb's av rating this year is 68 and av disposals 11, doesn't stand out as someone you would pay big money for and he is 30 next year. I would much prefer Sam Darcy tyvm

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb's av rating this year is 68 and av disposals 11, doesn't stand out as someone you would pay big money for and he is 30 next year. I would much prefer Sam Darcy tyvm
    You forgot nearly 2 goals in that list BTW