Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 76 of 175 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2625
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We do and I'd want to be convinced Rowe is an upgrade. If we are going to play 3 or 4 tall forwards next season the ball will spill to the ground a bit and a good crumber could be exactly what we need. I'm just not sure Rowe is good enough.
    We don't have a real small forward we have a bunch of midfielders who play there cause we can't fit them anywhere else. Weightman not really playing the role we are deficient in. West is ok but he's not a true forward. Everyone else is Bantha fodder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Pickett is a small forward.

Cameron is a leading forward who is at his best when 1v1 in space.
    Ryan is a leading forward who wants to sit on blokes shoulders - he DOES get up to half back and has good continuation in his game and provides a dangerous link option through the mid/forward area.
    Arthur Jones is an outside mid/high-half forward.

This is hard. I mean Brisbane have Cameron and McCarthy but their 'best' crumbing small is probably Bailey who they don't want to play there because he kicks it so well inside 50m...The balance of that Lions side is all messed up and they will never win unless they do something about it (but that's off topic).

Small forwards who MIGHT be available:
    Bobby Hill
    Izak Rankine
    Shane McAdam
    Michael Walters
    (Maybe) Joel Jeffrey (though he has Charlie Cameron tendancies).
    (Maybe) Josh Honey (though he seems more a link-er than a crumber).
    ...and yes, James Rowe. I don't think he's terrible but I don't see Bevo playing another permanent small forward who can't/wont go up and contribute with mid rotations...

Here's an idea. Tell Cody to stop trying to compete in the air against Naughton and get to the front of the contest?
    Cody needs to chill problem is he's been flying for speccys since u/8s it's a hard habit to break. Onus is on the coaching group a bit I think. Would prefer he stayed down more as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing with Cody is I'm pretty sure I remember he was told to develop his aerial game in the VFL before he cemented his spot in the 22 so it doesn't seem like the coaches feel his competing in the air is an issue.

4. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So our ideal wishlist is
    Lobb (locked in)
    A crumbing forward (Rioli)
    A quality key defender (???)
    Liam Jones (locked in)
    I'd add a medium sized forward to that list. Someone in the 186-192cm range.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Bedendo?

Post Thanks / Like

That'd be 5 players traded in/signed up. We'd need another 3 draftees so in that scenario we're delisting/trading out 8 players.

So who gets chopped?

Immediate candidates I can see are
    Martin
    Wallis
    Butler

Seems to be unwanted:
    Schache

Unlikely but if we get the recruits now not needed:
    Cordy

Trigger met but maybe he retires:
    Keath

Best 22 but struggling to get on the park:
    Dureya

Possible trades:
    Hunter
    Dunkley
    Crozier
    JJ

Aside from Dureya, Hunter and Dunkey (maybe JJ) none of the above seem to be a lock for best 22 if we get the wishlist but we do need to lose one of them to open up 8 list spots.

Did I miss anyone who isn't a rookie (I know someone was going to say McComb)

Who stays and who goes WOOFers?

Also thanks Axe for the thread that cannot be named. Really does help to be able to quickly see who's out of contract this year

8. Likes GVGjr, soupman, Bulldog Revolution, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good summary Hujsh

I think Dunkleys signature is the key to working out what our approach might be.
    Speculation that Hunter, JJ, Keath, Williams and Crozier might not be at the club as well plays a huge part in determining what we might do. We won't lose all them and might lose none of them.

The outs would be
    Wallis, Martin, Schache and Butler although isn't there some speculation that Wallis will get another year?

If Lobb and Jones are in then we will probably just get a couple of players in via the draft.

It's just so much harder to know what will happen until we know when the season finishes and what is happening with Dunkley.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Pickett is a small forward.

Cameron is a leading forward who is at his best when 1v1 in space.
    Ryan is a leading forward who wants to sit on blokes shoulders - he DOES get up to half back and has good continuation in his game and provides a dangerous link option through the mid/forward area.
    Arthur Jones is an outside mid/high-half forward.

This is hard. I mean Brisbane have Cameron and McCarthy but their 'best' crumbing small is probably Bailey who they don't want to play there because he kicks it so well inside 50m...The balance of that Lions side is all messed up and they will never win unless they do something about it (but that's off topic).

Small forwards who MIGHT be available:
    Bobby Hill
    Izak Rankine
    Shane McAdam
    Michael Walters
    (Maybe) Joel Jeffrey (though he has Charlie Cameron tendancies).
    (Maybe) Josh Honey (though he seems more a link-er than a crumber).
    ...and yes, James Rowe. I don't think he's terrible but I don't see Bevo playing another permanent small forward who can't/wont go up and contribute with mid rotations...

Here's an idea. Tell Cody to stop trying to compete in the air against Naughton and get to the front of the contest?
    I liked Josh Honey in his draft year - Jets boy whose first instinct is to tackle rather than go for the spectacular.
    The type of kid who will never be a star but his teammates will love him. I am purely guessing but if he still holds the u18 comp record for tackles in the F50 I would not be surprised.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Bedendo?
    Bedendo, Hannan, Khamis at a pinch, Bailey Smith played that high half forward role perfectly towards the end of last year.
    I'm not sure it's a glaring need.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At one stage when his hair was a bit longer, my mate and I called him Mini me (Naughton)

I think we said this last year about how he tries the big speccy all the time.
    I see the biggest issue is coaching.

Last year in the early VFL games they even talked up getting Weightman to fly for marks before he came into the AFL side. (apologies hujsh - I made this point before reading your later post)

Unless there is a change in the philosophy that our smalls need to stay on the ground nobody will be a crumbing forward in our side.
    Last edited by Bulldog Joe; 25-08-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarity
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet we aren’t marking enough in f50. F50 is probably the 1 thing that, if we can get it right, we can beat anyone. Surely more fixable than defence given personnel issues.

More i50 marks and better crumbing when not.

Post Thanks / Like

Fergus Greene? He's a great dancer too.

16. Likes hujsh, EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good summary Hujsh

I think Dunkleys signature is the key to working out what our approach might be.
    Speculation that Hunter, JJ, Keath, Williams and Crozier might not be at the club as well plays a huge part in determining what we might do. We won't lose all them and might lose none of them.

The outs would be
    Wallis, Martin, Schache and Butler although isn't there some speculation that Wallis will get another year?

If Lobb and Jones are in then we will probably just get a couple of players in via the draft.

It's just so much harder to know what will happen until we know when the season finishes and what is happening with Dunkley.
    He said it himself when being interviewed by Johnno.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Mitch Wallis the type of player that was referenced in another post that could help young player by teaching them the behaviours required to become an AFL player? Or are spots on our list too valuable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is Mitch Wallis the type of player that was referenced in another post that could help young player by teaching them the behaviours required to become an AFL player? Or are spots on our list too valuable?
    He has done that a bit last year and this year. I think he will earn another contract because of his experience and ability to teach younger players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.