Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 77 of 175 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2625
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is Mitch Wallis the type of player that was referenced in another post that could help young player by teaching them the behaviours required to become an AFL player? Or are spots on our list too valuable?
    Honestly we do not value list spots.

I'd much prefer Mitch Wallis on the list rather than McComb, Buttler, Raak, Gowers, etc. We seem to keep below fringe players a lot longer than we should.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes Dry Rot, EasternWest, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Is Mitch Wallis the type of player that was referenced in another post that could help young player by teaching them the behaviours required to become an AFL player? Or are spots on our list too valuable?
    You would hope so, a genuine leader and younger players should seek his guidance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Honestly we do not value list spots.

I'd much prefer Mitch Wallis on the list rather than McComb, Buttler, Raak, Gowers, etc. We seem to keep below fringe players a lot longer than we should.
    Hey Aza, Gowers gone years ago
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hey Aza, Gowers gone years ago
    True, true, true. But yeah, maybe he stayed a bit longer than he should have.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    True, true, true. But yeah, maybe he stayed a bit longer than he should have.
    Yeah, I was just joking around, I know what you mean

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No way should Wally be cut. Offers so much more from a Leadership perspective.

I think what we have though are a number of players who you question their role and whether they should still be on the list:

Stefan Martin
    Hayden Crozier
    Louis Butler
    Tim O'Brien
    Charlie Parker
    Mitch Hannan

All spring to mind as "surplus" to requirements. Add to that:

Robbie McComb
    Jordan Sweet
    Rourke Smith
    Anthony Scott
    Alex Keath
    Zaine Cordy
    Toby McLean

As guys with quys with question marks and you begin to get a picture as to why perhaps we are a little thin. We have to move on a number of these players this year and be quite brutal in the way we do it. Wally though for mine is not one of the guys who should be dumped - offers more than most on this list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Bedendo?
    He's still extremely raw. He or Khamis could be that player if we were prepared to give both time but I'd be looking for someone more experienced to help us now if they are available.

Reason being, if we beef up our defence and think we are doing so to win a flag then we may as well go all out and offer a two year deal to someone who can add that genuine forward quality in handling and finishing. Why go half way with it?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bedendo, Hannan, Khamis at a pinch, Bailey Smith played that high half forward role perfectly towards the end of last year.
    I'm not sure it's a glaring need.
    I don't care what you think!

You do make a decent point with Hannan, but I'm not really looking for a scrapper who can help in the ruck and put defencive pressure on. Rather, I'm looking for a genuine mid-sized forward who is always dangerous overhead and competent on the ground ball and can kick a few through genuine forward craft in a structure.

Whether that player genuinely suits our structure and is preferable to a Hannan I don't really know. However, that type of player and a decent forward/ ruck seem to me to be the least available but most important to fortunes of good teams at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I see the biggest issue is coaching.

Last year in the early VFL games they even talked up getting Weightman to fly for marks before he came into the AFL side. (apologies hujsh - I made this point before reading your later post)

Unless there is a change in the philosophy that our smalls need to stay on the ground nobody will be a crumbing forward in our side.
    Our game is based around compressing our forward half, retaining the ball and creating opportunities time and again. Whether it's right or wrong I don't know, but it's a decent enough reason to coach Cody to fly rather than let the intercept and quick outlet happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    And yet we aren’t marking enough in f50. F50 is probably the 1 thing that, if we can get it right, we can beat anyone. Surely more fixable than defence given personnel issues.

More i50 marks and better crumbing when not.
    If we want easy marks in the forward fifty then we need to do what we can to turn the ball over between the wings and half back and move it quickly forward.

Fix the pressure on the carrier, close down the easy ball movement and create opportunities to move shallow entries forward quickly. Protect our defence as a starting point, and not have to spring so deep from attack and we take more marks in an open forward line that looks like it's receiving better connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Fergus Greene? He's a great dancer too.
    He's a dancer, I'll giver you that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

I think what we have though are a number of players who you question their role and whether they should still be on the list:

Stefan Martin
    Hayden Crozier
    Louis Butler
    Tim O'Brien
    Charlie Parker
    Mitch Hannan

Robbie McComb
    Jordan Sweet
    Rourke Smith
    Anthony Scott
    Alex Keath
    Zaine Cordy
    Toby McLean

As guys with quys with question marks and you begin to get a picture as to why perhaps we are a little thin. We have to move on a number of these players this year and be quite brutal in the way we do it. Wally though for mine is not one of the guys who should be dumped - offers more than most on this list.
    Very harsh on Parker considering it is his first year and he has been injured the majority of the time.

I think Scott is going to be a very good player and Rourke has shown he can be a good foot soldier.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stefan Martin
    Hayden Crozier
    Louis Butler
    Tim O'Brien
    Charlie Parker
    Mitch Hannan

Robbie McComb
    Jordan Sweet
    Rourke Smith
    Anthony Scott
    Alex Keath
    Zaine Cordy
    Toby McLean

Regarding Wallis, it's a fine line for the club to delist him. His leadership and calming influence would be welcome amongst the playing list but as a player it's hard to see him forcing his way back into anything more than a back up option.
    I'm not that fussed if that means he is more or less occupying a list spot without being able to contribute much on field but you would want to be sure that he is making that leadership difference for the playing group.

Having a look at the players you have listed I wonder if existing contracts weren't in place how many players we would genuinely look at moving on based on form?
    12 months is a long time for the clubs. Some contracts that looked fair and reasonable a couple years ago are now probably limiting what we would ideally want to do.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we aren't going to play him whats the point? He's "played" 11 games the last two years, 6 of which have been 50% or less gametime (one as unused sub), and has hit double digit possessions 4 times. We don't seem interested in playing him as anything really, as a forward he doesn't fit anymore, he isn't close to being in our mid rotations, and he's nothing else. I love the guy and am happy to keep him around but he hasn't been a senior AFL player for at least 18 months and i don't see that changing.

Is there a world where we make him a Development Coach, VFL captain and he continues acting as a player inside the group? As in still gets to train as much as he wants, and effectively be an unlisted AFL player with responsibilities off field? Is that not what that NBA role we were talking about is except in this case Mitch isn't getting his occasional 40% gametime as the medisub?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Likes Sedat, hujsh, Testekill, josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Regarding Wallis, it's a fine line for the club to delist him. His leadership and calming influence would be welcome amongst the playing list but as a player it's hard to see him forcing his way back into anything more than a back up option.
    I don't care about the list spot but to everyone who thinks players who aren't playing are the ones providing leadership...they aren't.

If we want him there 'cos he is a good leader and good bloke, employ him in a role where we can use those skills and let him play in the VFL side if we must...whether that's as a development coach or another role I have no idea but you don't need a player on the list in order to utilise their skills. And please don't say the words 'soft cap' - there is money for things the club sees as important - they just have to choose what those things are!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post