Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 78 of 175 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2625
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't care about the list spot but to everyone who thinks players who aren't playing are the ones providing leadership...they aren't.

If we want him there 'cos he is a good leader and good bloke, employ him in a role where we can use those skills and let him play in the VFL side if we must...whether that's as a development coach or another role I have no idea but you don't need a player on the list in order to utilise their skills. And please don't say the words 'soft cap' - there is money for things the club sees as important - they just have to choose what those things are!
    I am pro keeping experienced players who positively contribute to the team's 'culture' or whatever we want to go with but yes, they need to offer some benefit as a player. The easiest example is perhaps a back up ruck. For mine it's the leadership/coaching aspect is the thing that gets you over the line if it's 50/50ish otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I am pro keeping experienced players who positively contribute to the team's 'culture' or whatever we want to go with but yes, they need to offer some benefit as a player. The easiest example is perhaps a back up ruck. For mine it's the leadership/coaching aspect is the thing that gets you over the line if it's 50/50ish otherwise.
    So Wallis on a 1 year rookie deal, and VFL Captain?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    So Wallis on a 1 year rookie deal, and VFL Captain?
    I think that would be a great move. I'm assuming Wallis won't get a contract with us, should he not get one somewhere else that would be perfect. I think another team will snap him up though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Very harsh on Parker considering it is his first year and he has been injured the majority of the time.

I think Scott is going to be a very good player and Rourke has shown he can be a good foot soldier.
    How old is Parker, 24? He's 192cm and as you say he is not on the park. Other clubs would be ruthless and cut him. Mature aged recruits have to be expected to hit the ground running, why else draft them.

Rourke is a just a foot soldier, who can play a role, but you can't help but feel that there are others on the list who potentially offer more.

Scott is similar to Rourke in some ways, though a little more versatile. Could be a solid player and not one I would immediately discard (most on the question mark list I wouldn't), but ou woudl have to at least question whether there is a better option for their list spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I think that would be a great move. I'm assuming Wallis won't get a contract with us, should he not get one somewhere else that would be perfect. I think another team will snap him up though.
    Can see North or even the Suns looking at him for the leadership quality. He's a handy forward and why we insist on playing other guys ahead of him is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    How old is Parker, 24? He's 192cm and as you say he is not on the park. Other clubs would be ruthless and cut him. Mature aged recruits have to be expected to hit the ground running, why else draft them.

Rourke is a just a foot soldier, who can play a role, but you can't help but feel that there are others on the list who potentially offer more.

Scott is similar to Rourke in some ways, though a little more versatile. Could be a solid player and not one I would immediately discard (most on the question mark list I wouldn't), but ou woudl have to at least question whether there is a better option for their list spot.
    I legit thought he was like 19 or something. I'm shocked. Must have mixed him up with Cleary.

Cutting him seems fairer given that knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Can see North or even the Suns looking at him for the leadership quality. He's a handy forward and why we insist on playing other guys ahead of him is beyond me.
    TBH I can't see that - Ben Cunnington who is their 'silent leader' just signed a 2 year extension means North don't need Wallis.
    Suns have a 2 years playing, 2 coaching offer in front of Heppell and by all accounts he's going to take it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I legit thought he was like 19 or something. I'm shocked. Must have mixed him up with Cleary.

Cutting him seems fairer given that knowledge.
    We rookied him and he has only played a handful of games and injured the rest. Surely he gets another chance?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I read or heard he has been offered a one year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

We rookied him and he has only played a handful of games and injured the rest. Surely he gets another chance?
    Did he look ready for seniors when fit? If no then we move on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Did he look ready for seniors when fit? If no then we move on
    There is no doubt he was very disappointing but who knows if the injuries were the reasons behind it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Parker may be older but hasn’t played much footy as he switched from cricket. There’s no way he was ever going to make an immediate impact. Clearly injury has set back his progress. Whatever they saw in him surely hasn’t evaporated so I imagine he gets another year.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker could not hit the side of a barn. His kicking is substandard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Parker could not hit the side of a barn. His kicking is substandard.
    One thing he has a booming kick. Not sure about not able to sit the side of a barn - I haven't seen him much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing he has a booming kick. Not sure about not able to sit the side of a barn - I haven't seen him much.
    One of the considerations when you recruit a mature aged player is typically you are looking for a quicker return and from what I saw of Parker he was a long way off the mark with the pace of the game. We can't be sure if that it just due to the injuries he was managing throughout the season but I could see us looking elsewhere although we probably won't.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"