Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 18 of 175 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For me no thanks. We took a risk with Martin and hasn't really paid off. Appreciate Goldy is more durable, but personally, I would love someone that is more long term.
    I'd have thought Sam Darcy would be the long-term option to ruck in tandem as 2nd banana alongside English. In the meantine we have another 2-3 years to fill before Darcy starts impacting games at senior level, and I doubt there is anyone more talented that may be available in the short term than Goldy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'd have thought Sam Darcy would be the long-term option to ruck in tandem as 2nd banana alongside English. In the meantine we have another 2-3 years to fill before Darcy starts impacting games at senior level, and I doubt there is anyone more talented that may be available in the short term than Goldy.
    Yeah, I get your logic, could be a risk though as he is 34 in a few weeks time and players go down fast in their 30s.

However, who else could we bring in?

Can Sam be the tall defender we are after in a few years time, or is he destined to be a ruckman?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah, I get your logic, could be a risk though as he is 34 in a few weeks time and players go down fast in their 30s.

However, who else could we bring in?

Can Sam be the tall defender we are after in a few years time, or is he destined to be a ruckman?
    I think he’ll be worth more to us and have a bigger impact on our fortunes as a ruck/forward than a defender.

We need a ready made quality key defender during this year’s trade period. We also need at the very least a decent tall forward that can take ruck minutes while we wait for Darcy’s development to accelerate. (Collingwood’s Darcy Cameron as an off the top of the head example). Actually Cameron would be perfect for, at the exact right age.

If we don’t bring in players to fit those roles at season end, we may as well blow the list up and rebuild around 2025/26 when Naughton, English, Marra and Darcy will all be playing together.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes bornadog, Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve been a huge defender of Daniel but he’s having a down year. I’m happy to pay him but one of our highest earners?
    It's a pretty broad statement. If he falls in our top ten highest paid players I think that mantle fits, which I would be comfortable with.

I think the pyramid would look something like:

Bont
    Naughton
    English Macrae Treloar* Smith
    Daniel Dale Keath Bruce Dunkley Hunter
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think he’ll be worth more to us and have a bigger impact on our fortunes as a ruck/forward than a defender.

We need a ready made quality key defender during this year’s trade period. We also need at the very least a decent tall forward that can take ruck minutes while we wait for Darcy’s development to accelerate. (Collingwood’s Darcy Cameron as an off the top of the head example). Actually Cameron would be perfect for, at the exact right age.

If we don’t bring in players to fit those roles at season end, we may as well blow the list up and rebuild around 2025/26 when Naughton, English, Marra and Darcy will all be playing together.
    Prying Cameron away from the Pies would be ambitious and cause more angst with their supporters. It would also mean they're chips in with Mason Cox as the back-up and despite his outstanding game yesterday that would be risky.

I think Collingwood are paying a high price for their investment in Grundy and I wonder if they might look to off load him in another Treloar type deal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    It's a pretty broad statement. If he falls in our top ten highest paid players I think that mantle fits, which I would be comfortable with.

Bont
    Naughton
    It's a good list, I'd probably have Dunkley up a rung but that's splitting hairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Would one player worth inquiring about be Billy Frampton from the Crows?
    Was playing some solid football with them as a CHB early in the season and I thought he had a good game against us before he was dropped.
    Has played forward and pinch hit in the ruck at times. He's quite a decent kick for a 2M tall player.

I do recall a couple of years back he and Hartigan came to blows in a match simulation.

Not sure if he quite meets our needs but I'll keep some checks on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on.

When the Dogs played Collingwood Sweet and Cameron had very similar games. Cameron had some extra hitouts while Sweet had a couple of additional possessions and about 7 to 0 one percenters.

Some people here on Woof said that Proved that Sweet was not worth persevering with because Cameron was nobody.

Now we want Cameron? Or am I misreading this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would one player worth inquiring about be Billy Frampton from the Crows?
    Was playing some solid football with them as a CHB early in the season and I thought he had a good game against us before he was dropped.
    Has played forward and pinch hit in the ruck at times. He's quite a decent kick for a 2M tall player.

I do recall a couple of years back he and Hartigan came to blows in a match simulation.

Not sure if he quite meets our needs but I'll keep some checks on him.
    His record this year looks ok. He took 9 marks and had 26 disposals against us, but also had a good game against Richmond.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

Bont
    Naughton
    Edmund speculated that Daniel's contract was in the range of $600K to $700K.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Hang on.

When the Dogs played Collingwood Sweet and Cameron had very similar games. Cameron had some extra hitouts while Sweet had a couple of additional possessions and about 7 to 0 one percenters.

Some people here on Woof said that Proved that Sweet was not worth persevering with because Cameron was nobody.

I think the point of difference might be that Cameron is effective up forward whereas Sweet hasn't been able to prove that yet.
    I'm not sure Cameron would be available and I think the discussion is more around him being the type of player who is an effective forward who can also ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on.

I just want someone on the list that we’ll actually play in the role of 2nd ruck/forward to partner with English. As long as they’re decent, I really don’t care if it’s Sweet or someone else. What is pretty clear is the coaching group don’t think Sweet is up to it and refuse to pick him in that role, so just get someone else in. As you and I both acknowledge, the lack of a genuine 2 man ruck combo has been very problematic and I want the club to fix it by any means possible.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

. What is pretty clear is the coaching group don’t think Sweet is up to it
    Do you think he is up to it?

I don't want to see Naughton going up for a ruck duel in the fwd line, or Bont, Dunks, Hannan.

Agree, we must get a proper second ruck who is Fwd/Ruck

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on.

Yeah there were lots dismissing Sweet's game because it was only against Cameron. Like Comrade said he'd be a great fit for us but doubt he's gettable. Maybe when Grundy returns there will be a squeeze.and either Cox or Cameron get relegated to VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah there were lots dismissing Sweet's game because it was only against Cameron. Like Comrade said he'd be a great fit for us but doubt he's gettable. Maybe when Grundy returns there will be a squeeze.and either Cox or Cameron get relegated to VFL.
    When you look at Cameron,s record you see how Sweet should have been developed.

2020: 10 or more games with little expected from him.
    2021: a lot of games as a developing understudy to Grundy.
    2023: consistently selected and transition to first ruck, probably 30 games experience and confidence.

did no better than Sweet who was only given a couple of games as a fill in first ruck over that time.

Yet Sweet had better hitouts when they were opponents and his second efforts (1%) helped get a 10 goal win.